Author Topic: Verve on HDTracks  (Read 10217 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Verve on HDTracks
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
The Verve catalog has been mastered to 24/96, for download on HDtracks.  This is great news. We're all hoping there will be more and more mainstream labels publishing hi res files. Lots of great music on Verve, especially jazz.

http://www.avguide.com/article/hdtracks-welcomes-verve-music-group-9624-sound

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Verve on HDTracks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:57:34 AM »
Hmmmmm - all in flac

I may have to take a shot at "Getz/Gilberto".
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »
HDTracks use to send out discount coupons periodically but I haven't seen any in awhile.  They do have a Specials section on their site that changes occasionally.  Not sure if any of the new Verve have made it to the Specials list.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:59:37 PM »
I picked up the 24/96 version of Ella and Louis - Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald on Verve from HD Tracks. A nice improvement over my CD version.

mike

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
When you guys download these do you play them back at this high resolution from your computer, or do you convert from FLAC to MP3 (or something similar) and burn a CD? If the latter then I'm not sure why you boher with a high resolution download.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
I haven't downloaded any HD material yet, but that was one of my reasons for wanting a Touch.

HD to the hard drive and then stream directly to the Touch or Touch/DAC combo.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »
do you play them back at this high resolution from your computer

Full resolution from PC to DAC, so the hardware has to be compatible.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
Flac full resolution to Touch.   Most of the time it works perfect but occasionally, the 24/96 playback gets choppy and needs rebuffering.   Someday I'll run ethernet wire to the Touch rather than using wireless.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
I had some dropouts w/ my several-year-old router and bought a new one. Not a dropout since...

-Mike

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
I've got a Dlink 655 router which, while very good, is currently on a different floor at the opposite side of the house.   If I could just figure out how to move that without reeking havoc with everything else I suspect I'd be golden.

Mike, let me know if dropouts return when you try the Touch with 24/96 material.   

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:44:26 PM »
Flac full resolution to Touch.   Most of the time it works perfect but occasionally, the 24/96 playback gets choppy and needs rebuffering.   Someday I'll run ethernet wire to the Touch rather than using wireless.

Theoretically, if you run an ethernet cable you are also getting a direct copper link back to the PC that contains that crappy noisy switching power supply, which is isolated from the music system if your data stream is traveling wirelessly. Nothing for nothing.

Although I would be curious to see if it really made that much difference in reality since I guess the noise could also be traveling back through your breaker box and into the music system.

IS there anybody out there who has tried to compare the sound of a hardwired vs. RF ethernet system and can shed some insight onto this?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

djdube525

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »
I've got a Dlink 655 router which, while very good, is currently on a different floor at the opposite side of the house.   If I could just figure out how to move that without reeking havoc with everything else I suspect I'd be golden.

Have you thought about a powerline adapter to bring ethernet over to where you need it?
This has worked very well for me... no issues streaming content... audio or video...
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275603199&sr=8-1

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
No, I haven't but then, I always figured that any power filtering/conditioning equipment would essentially block or at least hinder the use of ethernet over power lines (caveat: spoken without having a clue what I'm talking about).    Hmmmm....

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »
No, I haven't but then, I always figured that any power filtering/conditioning equipment would essentially block or at least hinder the use of ethernet over power lines (caveat: spoken without having a clue what I'm talking about).    Hmmmm....

Usually the powerline conditioning is done in between the outlet and the equipment which would usually be at a point afterwhich the ethernet signal has already been extracted. My fear would not be whether the powerline conditioner would impede the transmission of the data. My worry would be whether your chosen powerline conditioner could effectively prevent any noise imparted onto the power by the data signal from degrading the performance of the rest of the audio system......
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:05:16 AM »

Usually the powerline conditioning is done in between the outlet and the equipment which would usually be at a point afterwhich the ethernet signal has already been extracted. My fear would not be whether the powerline conditioner would impede the transmission of the data. My worry would be whether your chosen powerline conditioner could effectively prevent any noise imparted onto the power by the data signal from degrading the performance of the rest of the audio system......

My only experience with this was that I use to use X10 devices around my house to control lights.   But when I introduced various surge protectors on TV or computer, the X10 devices worked intermittently at best if they were on the same run as the surge protector.   So I was wondering if the same would be true for ethernet.  Hopefully, it is running on a completely different frequency that would be immune to this.