Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Surface Noise Origins

(1/7) > >>

James Edward:
Anyone care to take a stab at what causes surface noise on LP's? Do you feel you can visually assess whether a record will be noisy or not?
Possible causes:

A lot of play
Dirty, from paper record liner dust
Dirty, from dirty fingers
Dirty, from airborne dust
Scratches- these should be easiest to detect, but not fix
Smoking environment
Pet hair
Do some styli accentuate noise- if so, what styli types attenuate said noise...

I ask this because a new Nervosa of buying used records has reared its ugly head. I'm going to add to this but I'm afraid my post will time out before I submit it.

James Edward:
I just picked up a couple of Pablo label jazz records on recommendation of a fellow member. They appeared super clean; no scuffing, scratches, or even dust on the surface. I put one on, and the noise was very apparent. The music above(below?) the noise sounds magnificent. Transients are sharp, instruments sound great, etc., etc.
So I cleaned the record with an old tried and true method- new sponge, tepid water, and some Dawn.
Surface noise still there, though the music seems slightly 'brighter', so it's something other than dirt, dust, or other physical matter.

James Edward:
As I think, I could perpetuate this thread all by myself... I guess static electricity could play a part too. Along with quality of the vinyl used- some of these records may have been doomed from the start. A horrible thought, but maybe.
I just put on another record I bought yesterday, and the background is much quieter. Not perfect, but it was 99 cents.
It looks to have been pressed in 1963, by Atlantic Records.

S Clark:
Pablo pressings are usually pretty quiet.  Most were pressed after the horrible recycled vinyl years of the 70's, so I suspect they are just dirty.  Now your old Atlantic pressing from 1963 is likely to be mono, and if so, was cut to be played with a mono cartridge.  Mono is much quieter when played with the correct cart.
So the first question, how are you cleaning your records? Sponge and soapy tap water?  If so, that's the first issue. You won't get much out of the groove with a sponge, and if you aren't using distilled or de-ionized are likely adding minerals.
Is the Atlantic mono?  If you can't see "stereo" stated, it probably is. 
It's possible that the records are just worn out.  It happens, not often, but it can be exactly what you're describing.

Folsom:
Has your cart and VTA been setup? The wrong setup on that stuff will make noise much worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version