Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Stylus Cleaner/Brush?

(1/4) > >>

James Edward:
What's everyone in the know using to clean their stylus these days? Brush, liquid, gel? I just ordered a table and now the paranoia is setting in about cleaning things...

S Clark:
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  Cut a small square and simply lower the stylus on to it a time or two.  Doesn't require passing the cartridge over it. 

Folsom:
I use a magic eraser but also have another thing similar to zerodust. The magic eraser does something other stuff won't so periodically using it or a sonic cleaner would be advisable.

toobluvr:
+1 on the Magic Eraser.  We don't need no stinkin exorbitantly priced rip off snake oil cleaners 'round here!   :thumb:

Seriously, it works amazing.  Use it all the time and stylus is always sparkling clean.  It's white so you can easily see the lil blobs of black debris it pulls off.  If your hands are steady enough just dab up and down a few times as arm is raised on lifter.  Don't lock arm into resting place, just in case you slip.  That's my technique, it's quicker and easier than laying it down and dropping stylus on it.  Also, if you really trust yourself,  you can very very gently shimmy it around a few times on the horizontal plane to get it super clean.

I also sometimes dab stylus a few times with a blob of Blu-tak stuck on the end of a tongue depressor -- or similar.  Also works great.

Both these methods are recommended by respected members of the vinyl community:  Mark Baker at Origin Live, Peter Lederman at Soundsmith, among others.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: toobluvr on February 12, 2020, 07:46:18 AM ---+1 on the Magic Eraser.  We don't need no stinkin exorbitantly priced rip off snake oil cleaners 'round here!   :thumb:

Seriously, it works amazing.  Use it all the time and stylus is always sparkling clean.  It's white so you can easily see the lil blobs of black debris it pulls off.  If your hands are steady enough just dab up and down a few times as arm is raised on lifter.  Don't lock arm into resting place, just in case you slip.  That's my technique, it's quicker and easier than laying it down and dropping stylus on it.  Also, if you really trust yourself,  you can very very gently shimmy it around a few times on the horizontal plane to get it super clean.

I also sometimes dab stylus a few times with a blob of Blu-tak stuck on the end of a tongue depressor -- or similar.  Also works great.

Both these methods are recommended by respected members of the vinyl community:  Mark Baker at Origin Live, Peter Lederman at Soundsmith, among others.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info. I had heard of Origin Live, but not Mark Baker. Mr Baker has an interesting profile and the site is very detailed and informative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version