Author Topic: Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour  (Read 43361 times)

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
Re: Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 06:48:20 AM »
I did some beta testing of these cords and Pete experimented with many different versions of the cord. I feel he really perfected the balance between top & bottom extension, detail and maintaining naturalness. One of the things I hold above all else in music is that live intimacy and I believe Petes cord captures a live event in a cord (Please picture each member of Rush or Wilco wrapped in a protective black casing with pure wonderful copper plugs piercing from their chests) Ok Ive gone to far, but Pete kept it classy for sure!
M :rofl:
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
Shipping to etcarroll on Monday if no other NC takers.
Last chance! PM me if you want to audition this great PC.
Thanks!
Rich

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
Great - looking to see how the dynamic is with the 12 Plus I just bought.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
The PC showed today - and it was a moderately weird day, so nothing happened for a few hours.

Right now breaking the Seven Plus in with DAC playing THE COMPLETE VEE JAY LEE MORGAN - WAYNE SHORTER SESSIONS, in flac. The DAC got a Twelve Plus of it's own just a week ago.

The Seven running into a PS Audio Quintet which has all but my amp plugged into it. It replaces a diy PC fabricated from DH Labs The Power Plus AC power cord which is constructed with three twelve-gauge multistrand, high-purity copper conductors woven together to reject noise and cancel intra-conductor interference. The cable's geometry is claimed to lower system noise by preventing interference from surrounding electromagnetic fields . The terminations at both ends are high-quality WattGate connectors.

Let's play this through the night, and begin serious listening tomorrow.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 06:03:37 AM »
Shipping to etcarroll on Monday if no other NC takers.
Last chance! PM me if you want to audition this great PC.
Thanks!
Rich
Guess I'm late.   :duh

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Dammit!

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!

Time to send Pete another check!

Pumpkinman joined me today to finally perform some critical listening of Pete's wares.

Dammit!

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
Dammit!

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!

Time to send Pete another check!

Pumpkinman joined me today to finally perform some critical listening of Pete's wares.

Dammit!

I know the feeling  :rofl:  :duh  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
‎10 hours with Pumpkinman listening to music, ripping CDs and swapping power cables to see if they affect the sound, (they do), and finished day with martinis and Frank. I'm beat, time for bed.

More tomorrow.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 05:46:25 AM »
‎10 hours with Pumpkinman listening to music, ripping CDs and swapping power cables to see if they affect the sound, (they do), and finished day with martinis and Frank. I'm beat, time for bed.

More tomorrow.

I could certainly think of worse ways to spend a Saturday.  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »
If it's still in the area, I'd like to give it a whirl.

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »

More tomorrow.

It's a tough task, but somebody has got to do it!  ;)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
As I've mentioned I spent yesterday with Bill listening to music and swapping power cables between my do-it-yourself cable and Pete's Triode Wire Lab Seven Plus cable.

Inserting Pete's cable into the mix made an immediate impact in improvement on the quality of the sound. First of all, in the bass, it became more detailed and lifelike and a lot of 'boominess' that was there that I hadn't realized was present - disappeared.

The overall presentation of music gave a sense of more space and air around the individual instruments. At the same time the appearance that music was coming out of the speaker boxes disappeared, the presentation took on a holographic or 3-D presentation while adding a width and depth to the soundstage not previously there. Quite simply, I was shocked  the overall improvement, never having realized I didn't have all these attributes in my presentation already.

We did a good portion of listening via CD, and one of the first things we both noticed was a lessening of glare in the sound. The presentation was overall more lifelike. The same is true for listening to digital music via squeeze box, in fact even more so. Again the addition of a more lifelike quality to the music was significantly noticeable to both of us immediately.

And of course the same held true when we listened to vinyl. One example, while listening to a Stan Kenton version of Over the Rainbow, the finger work of the bass player on the upright bass, not previously noticeable, was readily apparent as he worked his way up and down the scale, it was a little spooky.

And the way the Triode Wire Lab 7 Plus improved base was shown in an additional manner, as follows. I've been experimenting with adding a small powered sub to my two channel system, I simply ran wire from one of my main speakers to the high-level inputs of the sub for now.

Though this setup has given me an appreciation for what a sub can add to my system, it's been with one readily apparent negative aspect, my soundstage has shifted to the side where the subwoofer-speaker combination is, or to my left. I assumed having the sub mated to the speaker has affected the load that the pair presents to my amp in such a way that it's shifted the soundstage in reaction to this. Adding the Triode Labs power cable to the mix immediately placed the soundstage back where it belonged with  every instrument in its place with air around it - it was simply freaking amazing what was happening.

And these improvements seem to be a family trait of the Triode power cord family. I had recently purchased the 12 Plus power cord for my DAC, and so we swapped out the 7+ for the 12+ as the main power connection to my PS Audio Quintet. Again with the 12+ in place all the improvements listed above were still evident, the only difference is maybe a loss of the lowest of the low end grunt in the bass, otherwise a marked improvement all around.

All in all of full day was spent in both analog and digital, listening to an assortment of rock with a little jazz thrown in, all in all the improvements mentioned were there for everything we played. I simply have to rate Pete's handiwork  as one of the best values in sound improvement I've come across, and if that sounds like hyperbole all I can say is give them a try to hear for yourself.

My system and environment here;
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;sa=view;id=1402

eleazar

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »

More tomorrow.

It's a tough task, but somebody has got to do it!  ;)

Now look at what you did you made me cry

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:03 AM »
Thanks for the review but please clarify, you say you have 2 (or more) of Pete's cables in the 'mix' for the review... but where? You previously had a 12+ for your DAC but were using it on your PS Audio power conditioner before you swapped it out for the 7+. Which components was the 7+ plugged into while you were making your observations and what gear benefits the most in your opinion. Thanks!

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 05:33:39 AM »
The 7+ was only in the PS Audio Quintet. Everything but my amp goes into the Quintet. The amp is a 30 year old Bryston 4B I sent back to Bryston to recap and bring up to 4B ST status, it has the curly, non-removeable power cord.

Both the Quintet and amp get plugged into a hospital grade Leviton outlet.

The 7+ was swapped back and forth with my diy power cord. That was were the amazing difference was, all the benefits I spoke of arose when the 7+ went into the Quintet in place of my diy pc.

Just for curiosity's sake, I briefly took the 12+ off the dac and used it to connect the Quintet to the Leviton. Again, the TWL family sound was there, but lost a little grunt.

Since eveything but the amp goes into the Quintet, I can't point to one specific piece of gear that most benefited. Since the most amazing change was the re-centering of the soundstage I would have to guess the must be a great synergy between the Purity Preamp and power as supplied by the TWL. Same must have been happening for the Rega Apollo cdp. It really was a 'grab you by the lapels and slap you in the face' difference, I can't explain it.

The diy pc was no slouch, a quality cable, albeit 10 year old technology, and upper mid-tier hospital-grade connectors at each end. Last night I spent some time listening to flac via Duet -> EE Minimax dac and swapped the diy pc and TWL 12+ and again, no contest. Blacker background, less glare more analog sound, detail to die for.

I don't know what Pete does with these PCs, I spent time last night googling Litzendraught braided construction, and though I get the theory, it seems the payback is more than what I'd expect. Maybe it's the cryo he now does as well. I thought all this was magic 'pixie dust' meant to snooker the unwitting out of their cash, but not after this weekend.