Author Topic: Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour  (Read 43361 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
Friends,
Just shipped one of my newly premiered "Seven Plus" American Gauge Version power cords to Mike (mdconnelly) in North Carolina.

More info on the cord here...
http://triodewirelabs.com/seven.html

Please let Mike know if you're interested in trying the cord on your system.

Thanks & Cheers,
Pete

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
I'm very excited about your new cable Pete. I have a good feeling about it. I would like to compare it to my Black Sands V on Steve's AR vt100. Mike, let me know when you're finished. And congrats, Pete, on the new product!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
Rich, I'm expecting it early in the week.  Pete indicated it's not quite fully burned in yet so I'll give it a few days before I give it some serious listen and will then pass it along.   I'll give you a buzz!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
 :thumb:  Thanks Mike!

I presume it's a 15A for the tour, so are you using it on the Oracle? Will your amp accept a 15A nozzle?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
Yup, Pete is shipping a 7+ with 15a termination.  My intent is to use it to feed my UberBuss but I'll also try it on the Oracle Pre/DAC as well.   

You're right - the DNA-500 has a 20a IEC.  I'm currently using one of Pete's older 8awg power cords on that so that will stay as is.   

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:29:44 AM »
Hey Mike, I've also got one of Petes 8ga on my DNA500. Wonder what difference the cryoed 7ga would bring to the table?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »
Yep, I've asked Pete that same question but he didn't have a 20a cable in stock so he is sending a 15a cable.  I do have a 15a to 20a adapter I could try but, of course, anything added to the mix changes the mix.

I'm also wondering about whether sending off my TWL PCs to get cryoed might be worth it.  To be honest, I've been extremely happy with Pete's cables just as they are so it's a bit of the nervosa itch that I'm feeling...   :duh

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
  I have the cryoed versions in my system. Just do it. A big improvement in clarity and soundstage. My customers agree and have ordered the cryoed version.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »
Hey Mike, I've also got one of Pete's 8ga on my DNA500. Wonder what difference the cryoed 7ga would bring to the table?

I switched from the 8 AWG toe the & 7 AW  on my ARC VT-200  about two weeks ago. The two cords and a very strong "family" characteristic, but the 7 Plugs just takes thing s up to another levei. The blacks are a bit blacker, the soundstage a bit wider and deeper, the instrument placement a litttle more well defined ans the resolution just a bit sharper. All in all a great cable.

Thanks Pete.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »
Hey Mike, I've also got one of Petes 8ga on my DNA500. Wonder what difference the cryoed 7ga would bring to the table?

There's only one way to find out!... "Seven Plus" 20 amp C19 IEC coming up!  8)

5 or 6 ft???

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
I picked up the 7ga 15A PC from Mike this morn. Playing it now!
Thanks Pete
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
I've had the opportunity to spend the last 8 days with Triode Pete's latest TWL 7Plus power cords before passing it along to Rich.  I have to say, Pete has another winner in this power cord.

(Note that I posted the following review over on AC as well in case you feel you're seeing double ;-)

First a little background... about a year ago I tried Pete's somewhat earlier incarnations of his power cords and ended up replacing my mix of different power cords with his 8awg, 10awg and 12awg cords.  Never looked back!  What I said then is still absolute true... they provide an extremely relaxed, balanced, and highly musical presentation.

In my experience, every power cord (or any wire for that matter) functions a bit as a "tone" control to some extent.  Some excel on tight and fast bass, some on clarity and extension, some on dynamics and transient response, some with blacker blacks and a bigger soundstage.  But truth be told, we all want something that excels at everything while doing no harm.  No easy thing!  And therein lies what I think is the strength of Pete's TWL cords.  They seem to excel across the board - tight and fast bass, open and clear extension, big soundstage, toe-tapping PRAT... all adding up to a highly musical and engaging sound.

OK, a few specifics... when I got Pete's new cord, I have to say I was a bit concerned... it was in need of burn in and for the first couple days it was a bit harsh and edgy.  But Pete cautioned of that right from the start, so I just let it play continuously as much as possible. Skip forward 5 days and everything was as it should be. Well, actually, better.   

I won't dwell on all the things his cords have already been praised for, but I do want to comment on where this new one excels above and beyond. Most of my listening was using it to feed my PI Audio UberBUSS replacing an earlier TWL BUSS cord with the new 7+.  Pete has changed his design a bit and is also now cryoing his cords.  You'll need to probe Pete for the details on exactly what the 'Plus' means.  What I heard after breakin was a sound clearly of the TWL family but with a tighter, more impactful bass and a bit of a blacker, silent background. When I put the BUSS cord back, it confirmed what I was hearing, but that's when I realized that the 7+ had also been giving me more of the music venue & ambience. I could hear further into the presentation with increased awareness of voice and instrument decay.  Nice!

The biggest surprise occurred when I swapped an early 8awg TWL cord on my Oracle DAC/preamp for the new 7+ cord there. The same differences became even more apparent. I have never really understood why a power cord seems to have the most influence as the last leg of the power chain, but damned if it isn't true.  Perhaps it's because the UberBUSS is doing so much cleanup anyway so what feeds it may not be quite as important as what feeds each component.  That's my theory anyway (at least until I hear a better one).

Of course, in the end it is all about the music. There's an album that I just love... Sarah Jarosz's Follow Me Down. She's a singer/songwriter and bluegrass instrumentalist.  This album is not only very well recorded but the music, in its genre, is just wonderful. This ain't your grandaddy's bluegrass! The details and decay of her mandolin playing or banjo picking coupled with the power of the drum kit and backing band is something to be heard.  But what I find really interesting is her voice... if your system is learning toward harse, edgy and/or bright, you might cringe a bit with this album because her bluegrass vocalization and simbilance can seem hard, but when all is well, this album and her voice just gives me goosebumps.  When I was initially breaking in the new 7+ cord, this album was hard to listen to.  Last night... nothing but goosebumps!

There are a LOT of power cords on the market and I've had my time with a few (and still have a bunch hanging in the closest). I do believe that after-market power cords replacing cheap stock cords are going to get you a nice benefit regardless of how much you spend. On the other hand, I think the megabuck cords are just silly money for all but a few that have the system, ears and money to warrant the investment.  For the rest of us, there is an over-abundance of mid-priced PCs, each of which brings something a bit different to the table.  IMHO, if you're wanting to try new power cords in your system, you owe it to yourself to give these a try. Pete is great to work with and his 30 day eval gives you plenty of time to hear these in your own system.  But I bet you won't give them back ;-)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:59:07 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
Great, I just picked up his #8 :duh
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »
Bill, is it Pete's original #8 or the new Plus version?   For what it's worth, I am getting all of my original TWL cords cryoed.  I suspect that will take them quite close to the Plus versions. 

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:29 PM »
I believe it is Pete's Plus. I was just trying to be facetious, I should know better :oops:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker