Author Topic: Modified Bob Crump/ Asylum Power Cord  (Read 11135 times)

Offline TooManyToys

• Seeking Help
  • Jersey Shore (Not Seaside!)
Modified Bob Crump/ Asylum Power Cord
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »
In my rack I had power cords going into a PS Audio Premiere looping everywhere since they were the stock cords that came with the components. And I have mass quantities of analog cables alongside them in this 7.1 system. So it was time to clean up my act. Since I really like my CTC Parasound JC-1s, I thought that it might be appropriate to construct power cables of the Bob Crump / Asylum design.  The Bob Crump / Asylum power cord has been around for decades and it had been often reviewed as a very good and cheap power cord. 

So the plan was to make custom length BC/AA cords replacing all the existing ones in my system, but add a little twist. And since the Belden cord used in this recipe is a shielded cable, that concept could easily be adapted into these DIY assemblies.

The modification to the original design is in providing shielding that extends over both the plug and IEC ends. Using conductive heat shrink tubing and providing the shield wire to the exterior of the shells where the heat shrink tubing would be placed easily accomplished this, something I’ve never seen done before with this cord. The shield is attached to the grounding lug at the plug end, but not at the IEC end per comments Bob Crump made in the AudioAsylum forum.

So, how are they? Well, I spent money and time so I’m predisposed to find something good: All the cords fit tightly and without excessive length.  :lol:

I do believe they have improved my system, providing better definition across the frequency range. Did the addition of the heat shrink shielding improve anything? That I can’t really say as I built the cords fully out right from the start. But for a few extra dollars it was a simple addition that hasn’t caused any craziness to either.

The pictorial for these is located in my Webshots albums:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/578921190pxPJSG

And if you’re not familiar with the cord, links to another pictorial and recipe are located here:

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

I got the cord and some components off eBay, others from Take Five Audio, and the shrink wrap from CableOrganizer.
If it's too loud, you're too middle aged.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Modified Bob Crump/ Asylum Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Cool, thanks for the links and welcome to AN. i like the way he connects the wire to the IEC and plug. never thought of that.
  I have made several DIY cords in my day. For amps solid core 10GA wire worked best for me. For digital fine stranded copper 14GA double shielded . For IECs O'Heil IECs fit the tightest and have a thicker contact blade. For plugs an inexpensive commercial plug made from the same material used for cap dielectric. Using ERS paper at strategic locations can change the cords character.
  The ground wire was double the gauge of the supply conductor. It was fun making the cords. Still use some as well as pre made.  Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.