Author Topic: NOS Western Electric Powerwire.  (Read 52901 times)

Regg

Re: NOS Western Electric Powerwire.
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
That's a good point...the first time I got to hear a few of Pete's 'prototype' WE cords, the first thing that struck me was how musical they were. It wasn't so much about emphasis but more like an effortless quality of the musical spectrum that I found very intriguing.

I may be trying out some monoblocks soon, so I need to order a couple more of Pete's cords. Very nice results with my Atma-Sphere amp so far. :thumb:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »
Just a bit of followup on Pete's WE cords... I'm extremely pleased with Pete's 12awg WE cord.  I've been using it continuously on my Oracle DAC/Pre and find it presents a very relaxed and musical sound that is just so engaging.  Enough so that I've decided to followup with Pete to try a 10awg WE cord as well as one of his Buss cords (for use on my Uber Buss). 

I understand Pete has also been working on an 8awg version of his WE cord.  Anyone have a chance to try one yet compared to his 10 & 12awg PCs?   

Normally, trying to compare wire drives me a bit nuts, but there is something about Pete's cords that just may prove to be permanent fixtures in my system (well, as permanent as anything ever is in this hobby).

Stay tuned...

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »
Awesome Mike!! Now I gotta get over there soon!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
  First report from one of our club members is in on the new 8ga version . AWESOME. Well compared to VH Audio Flavor 4s anyways. Connected to CJ monos and Apogees. The VH audio are for sale today. Depth, bass and imaging were vastly improved. A dead background to boot. I'm in. Ordered mine today.
  With all the changes that the Alan Maher CBFs brought I took out the 10 ga and just tried to determine what they were actually doing. I put back my previous cords for an apples to apples demo. An improvement all around. Last night put back Petes cords in the amps. I tell ya you don't know what your missing until its gone. Just could not really tell what was doing what until all settled in. I know NEVER two tweaks at once but but the Nervosa won out.  :duh. The 10Ga will go to the Preamp. The 8ga to the amps.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »
Charles - any comparison between the new 8awg and Pete's 10 & 12 awg WE cords?   I've been using a 12awg on my preamp and have a 10awg and buss cable on order from Pete now.  I will definitely want to go with an 8awg on my amp (DNA-500) but wrestling how to terminate the 20a IEC side since Pete can't get a 20a IEC equivalent of the terminations he's using.

Oyaide does make a couple variants of 20a IEC termination but they're very pricey.  They don't (nor does any else it seems) make an all-copper termination.

Offline Lissnr

• Seeking Help
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
Hey guys, I'm the "club member" with the first pair of Pete's 8g's on my monoblocks...(yes, I do feel  priviledged). Here's the nitty gritty:
Can you say N-A-T-U-R-A-L? 
Can you say M-U-S-I-C-A-L??
How about REAL???     
Ok Ok, I'll just keep it simple..."WOW" is the right word.
Specifically?
*More depth....the wall behind my speakers just moved back
*Imaging locked in even more (and it was darn good before if you don't mind me saying so)
*Air/Space/Blackness... all are more......better......"just right"
The best way to describe it is to say that  'the passing by from another room' test just fakes you out into wondering a bit longer whether it's  live or memorex.... A very high compliment indeed.
Pete told me there's about 100hrs on them so far and I've added about 10 more at this point...I can't say what another couple of hundred are going to do but my guess is they'll only be getting better.
For the record, my system is finicky, persnickety, and unforgiving...sort of like a spoiled prima-dona...(the notorious Apogee personality) but when it all gels, it's very engaging.
And my system LOVES these power cords.
Cables being replaced (which I have always liked and have served me well) are available and soon to be on  A'gon. Next I'll be ordering more 8g's for my line conditioners and then we'll see what else.
Nice job Pete; these are keepers.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »
Hey guys, I'm the "club member" with the first pair of Pete's 8g's on my monoblocks...(yes, I do feel  privileged). Here's the nitty gritty:
Can you say N-A-T-U-R-A-L? 
Can you say M-U-S-I-C-A-L??
How about REAL???     
Ok Ok, I'll just keep it simple..."WOW" is the right word.
Specifically?
*More depth....the wall behind my speakers just moved back
*Imaging locked in even more (and it was darn good before if you don't mind me saying so)
*Air/Space/Blackness... all are more......better......"just right"
The best way to describe it is to say that  'the passing by from another room' test just fakes you out into wondering a bit longer whether it's  live or memorex.... A very high compliment indeed.
Pete told me there's about 100hrs on them so far and I've added about 10 more at this point...I can't say what another couple of hundred are going to do but my guess is they'll only be getting better.
For the record, my system is finicky, persnickety, and unforgiving...sort of like a spoiled prima-dona...(the notorious Apogee personality) but when it all gels, it's very engaging.
And my system LOVES these power cords.
Cables being replaced (which I have always liked and have served me well) are available and soon to be on  A'gon. Next I'll be ordering more 8g's for my line conditioners and then we'll see what else.
Nice job Pete; these are keepers.

Nice to see yopu here Lissnr. Mdconnely, no not yet. This weekend possibly.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Wolfman

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »
Mdconnelly-have you checked these out?

http://www.atl-newcablestudio.com/Connector01B.html

ATL is handled by Gary of 6Sons Audio up in Canada and he speaks very,very highly of the quality of their products. Gary is about as honest a straight shooter in this biz as I've met,he won't steer you wrong. :thumb:

BR-F20A is $32.00 and pure Brass,ETP-F20CU is $62.50 and pure Copper. Some of the descriptions/wordings are a little funky as English is not their first language.
Hope this helps. :thumb:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »
Wolfman, thanks for the info!  :thumb:  I've passed it along to Pete to get his take.

shep

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:56 AM »
http://www.atl-newcablestudio.com/Connector01B.html
Interesting site and lots of choices. Like you said though, they could use a proof-reader for English.

HighTechRedNeck

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »

[/quote]

When they first came out, I bought two Pangea's from Audio Advisor, cut off the IEC's and hardwired (soldered) them to the Gen Rad tube regulated power supplies for the Loesch preamp. Can honestly say I did not hear any appreciable difference... one day will change over to my cords... on my other preamp (custom 171A tube) for the Tannoy system, I changed the plugs (on the Gen Rad regulated tube PS's) to the pure copper plugs with Rhodium plating; heard a difference right away; more air & detail on the dual concentrics!

Cheers,
Pete
[/quote]
Pete,
How do I get a power cord from you and how much does it cost?
CT

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
CT, send him a PM and he'll get back to you.   He's user 'Triode Pete' here.

And welcome to AN!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
Picked up and 8ga cord from Pete last Friday night to put on my Classe' Twenty-five. I think Lissnr summed it up just right with simply saying WOW.

The whole system just sounds more relaxed and effortless. It's like the difference between an amateur musician who can play well but really has to work at it vs. a seasoned elite professional who just has the music kind of flow out of him.

If you take a look at the What are you listening to right now thread you'll see that last Sat night/Sun morning I was still up listening & posting @ 4AM - what does that tell you? (Outside of the fact that I'm nuts!)

In terms of a detailed rundown of what changed, I can't say I noticed anything in particular that the cable stood out as doing overly well but the total sound just had a big sense of "rightness" to it. (I always get nervous when any aspect of a component stands out as that much better than the other aspects as they usually get tiring over the long run.)

When I had the tour cable at my house I tried it on both my power amp and my CDP individually and got a nice improvement on both. Pete is in the process of making up a second cord for me. I can't wait t hear what they will sound like together.  :drool:

Great job Pete. Lissnr is right, this ones a keeper.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
I've got to echo the same results...  These cables just let the music flow effortlessly.  And like your analogy to a musician, it may all be in the timing.  PRAT rules!   

I've now got a 12awg WE and 10awg WE from Pete as well as one of his Buss cables on my Uber Buss.  By far, the biggest difference/improvement was putting either of the WE power cords on my DAC/Preamp.  After that the results are additive albeit in a less striking manner (at least for me, YMMV).   But... I still haven't tried one of Pete's WE cords on my McCormack amp because it needs a 20a IEC and Pete's regular connector supplier just doesn't have it in a 20a IEC version.  But hey, I'm confident Pete will come up with something!

evan1

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Getting one Friday night (hopefully)