Self Medicating > DIY Electronics

Volume pots

<< < (2/2)

Response Audio:
Hey Charles. Just curious why you are installing a volume control in or prior to an amplifier?

rollo:
  The Alan Eaton design uses one. I really would prefer my preamp. I am experimenting either by bypassing gain control and using preamp OR using a better gain control without preamp.

charles

rollo:

--- Quote from: rollo on October 07, 2020, 10:40:53 AM ---  The Alan Eaton design uses one. I really would prefer my preamp. I am experimenting either by bypassing gain control and using preamp OR using a better gain control without preamp.

charles

--- End quote ---

OK bypassed the volume pot and put Lamm Ref Preamp back in. No contest. More body, slam and bigger stage. I appreciate the K.I.S.S. theory simpler not as good. So enamored with the 45 tube now considering a Tektron mono blocks.

charles

Nick B:
Doug,

Your Melos preamp tale is sad to read, but I’m amazed you actually got it back after all that time…. and am glad that you’re going to install the Tortuga ldr pot and put in better caps. When you get that done, maybe you’ll consider letting us know how it turned out and compares to the Coda??

Nick

--- Quote from: doug s. on December 14, 2021, 05:32:13 PM ---hi charles,

just curious - did you ever try the lamm pre with the amp's pot in place, and simply set the amp's volume pot to max gain? most pots are pretty-much bypassed simply by max'ing them out.

now, on another tangent, that low life pos mark porzilli totally eff'd me over, taking 3 years to "repair" the ma333r's volume-balance control issue that was never fixed during the (admittedly fabulous) sonic upgrade he did.  instead of properly repairing the custom tube volume pot mod i paid $500 for, 15 years ago, plus shipping e/w; mark simply ripped it out and replaced it w/a cheap $15 pos chinese pot.  boy, was i ever bummed.  i can only imagine how good it would sound if it were properly repaired.

but it's something i'm going to do myself - heh! i've scoped it out, and it will be a relatively easy mod to swap out the pos pot for for an ldr pot, which i'm expecting will be a significant improvement.  and <$250 total.
https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/electronic-stepped-attenuator-epot-v3-mini/

and while i'm at it, what the hey - go nuts!  i also purchased 12 of obbligato's top ultra-premium caps to replace the ancient mid-grade solens, and 10 polystyrene bypass caps for the lesser caps.  while the ma333r has always been a fine sounding preamp, this should really improve things.  when all's said-n-done, it will be shoot-out time between it and my coda 07x which got purchased quite a while back when i thought it unlikely i'd ever see my melos again.  it's a fantastic preamp in its own right - and i never thought i'd ever be able to say that about a s/s preamp in my system.

doug s.

--- Quote from: rollo on October 13, 2020, 09:24:47 AM ---

OK bypassed the volume pot and put Lamm Ref Preamp back in. No contest. More body, slam and bigger stage. I appreciate the K.I.S.S. theory simpler not as good. So enamored with the 45 tube now considering a Tektron mono blocks.

charles

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

rollo:

--- Quote from: doug s. on December 14, 2021, 05:32:13 PM ---hi charles,

just curious - did you ever try the lamm pre with the amp's pot in place, and simply set the amp's volume pot to max gain? most pots are pretty-much bypassed simply by max'ing them out.

now, on another tangent, that low life pos mark porzilli totally eff'd me over, taking 3 years to "repair" the ma333r's volume-balance control issue that was never fixed during the (admittedly fabulous) sonic upgrade he did.  instead of properly repairing the custom tube volume pot mod i paid $500 for, 15 years ago, plus shipping e/w; mark simply ripped it out and replaced it w/a cheap $15 pos chinese pot.  boy, was i ever bummed.  i can only imagine how good it would sound if it were properly repaired.

but it's something i'm going to do myself - heh! i've scoped it out, and it will be a relatively easy mod to swap out the pos pot for for an ldr pot, which i'm expecting will be a significant improvement.  and <$250 total.
https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/electronic-stepped-attenuator-epot-v3-mini/

and while i'm at it, what the hey - go nuts!  i also purchased 12 of obbligato's top ultra-premium caps to replace the ancient mid-grade solens, and 10 polystyrene bypass caps for the lesser caps.  while the ma333r has always been a fine sounding preamp, this should really improve things.  when all's said-n-done, it will be shoot-out time between it and my coda 07x which got purchased quite a while back when i thought it unlikely i'd ever see my melos again.  it's a fantastic preamp in its own right - and i never thought i'd ever be able to say that about a s/s preamp in my system.

doug s.

--- Quote from: rollo on October 13, 2020, 09:24:47 AM ---

charles

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes I did. However the idea was to eliminate the active Pre and use a passive. In my case the Lamm conquered.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version