Self Medicating > DIY Electronics

My Dyna ST70 (?) Project...

(1/2) > >>

P.I.:
Here is the VTA (tubes4hifi.com) 9 pin input board.

I just ordered the octal version for my other ST70.  We'll hear...

Tubes here are TAD 12BH7.  Kind of my goto tube for 12AU7 applications that require the best sonics.

S Clark:
Okay, you caught my attention.  Is this a board with an improved layout, a better design, or just better components.  The Dyna sold a bunch of kits back in the day, but how do they stack up against competition today? 
I took a look at the tubes4hifi.com website.  Any idea how their phono preamps compare to competition today? 

P.I.:

--- Quote from: S Clark on July 10, 2020, 11:14:17 AM ---Okay, you caught my attention.  Is this a board with an improved layout, a better design, or just better components.  The Dyna sold a bunch of kits back in the day, but how do they stack up against competition today? 
I took a look at the tubes4hifi.com website.  Any idea how their phono preamps compare to competition today?

--- End quote ---
Complete redesign of the input circuitry.  Uses 12AU7 Triode variants instead of the crappy 7199 pentode tube.  It uses a constant current source in the phase splitter stage to give better linearity.

The circuit designs really good.  I won’t post it because because of my respect for intellectual property rights.    I went with Takman carbon film resistors for their musicality and with the lowest noise components that I could source in the power supply. 

The power supply has 20ppm temperature coefficient components instead of resistors often used that are 700ppm or even worse.  You know my advocacy for low noise power.  I build a company on this!  In keeping with my power supply philosophy the choke is rated at 3H @ 250ma instead of the original 1.75H @ 200ma.  With the other mods I’m making the power supply will be much stiffer than the original.

The A470 output transformers are very good.  It was interesting to see the changes in measurements that cryo brought about...   like I said elsewhere, they are the only original parts except the chassis.  I’m going to have todo some as work changes to accommodate the larger choke and polypropylene power supply caps I am using.

I have no idea about their phono stage.  Talk to Don.  He knows everything about it.  He builds an upgraded version:

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom%20tube%20phono%20stage.html

Nick B:

--- Quote from: P.I. on July 10, 2020, 10:50:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: S Clark on July 10, 2020, 11:14:17 AM ---Okay, you caught my attention.  Is this a board with an improved layout, a better design, or just better components.  The Dyna sold a bunch of kits back in the day, but how do they stack up against competition today? 

--- End quote ---
Complete redesign of the input circuitry.  Uses 12AU7 Triode variants instead of the crappy 7199 pentode tube.  It uses a constant current source in the phase splitter stage to give better linearity.

The circuit designs really good.  I won’t post it because because of my respect for intellectual property rights.    I went with Takman carbon film resistors for their musicality and with the lowest noise components that I could source in the power supply. 

The power supply has 20ppm temperature coefficient components instead of resistors often used that are 700ppm or even worse.  You know my advocacy for low noise power.  I build a company on this!  In keeping with my power supply philosophy the choke is rated at 3H @ 250ma instead of the original 1.75H @ 200ma.  With the other mods I’m making the power supply will be much stiffer than the original.

The A470 output transformers are very good.  It was interesting to see the changes in measurements that cryo brought about...   like I said elsewhere, they are the only original parts except the chassis.  I’m going to have todo some as work changes to accommodate the larger choke and polypropylene power supply caps I am using.

I have no idea about their phono stage.  Talk to Don.  He knows everything about it.  He builds an upgraded version:

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom%20tube%20phono%20stage.html

--- End quote ---

Speaking of Don’s phonostage, I will be offering mine for sale within a week or two. I will post the ad on AN first. Sorry to deviate a bit...

_Scotty_:
If any of the tubes take notion to spontaneously fail what happens to the solid components in the signal path down stream from them.
Are drivers in the output stage protected and are there modern equivalents to them available.
Scotty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version