Author Topic: New York Audio Show  (Read 4524 times)

Offline RussL

• Seeking Help
New York Audio Show
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »
Went to the show on Saturday.  Not much different than the two previous shows here in NY.  Nothing at all like the shows of several years ago which were predominantly manufacturers shows.  Back then McIntosh would have a room with almost all of their products on display.  Same with Musical Fidelity and many others doing the same.

The more recent shows are basically dealer shows which may show one or two (at the most) products from one manufacturer.  There were a few exceptions though this year.  MBL, KEF, Coincident Speaker Technology, and a few other manufacturers were at the show.

Speaking of Coincident Speaker Technology (CST), in my opinion, by far the best sound at the show. Pure Reference Extreme speakers ($26,800 per pair) biamped by CST Dragon 211PP tube monoblocks ($10,999 per pair) and CST M300B MKII Frankenstein tube monoblocks ($5,999 per pair).  Big $$$$$ but the sound was worth the $$$$.

Have to give Rocky Mountain a try.  I found the NY show pretty boring.  One man's opinion.

Russ     

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: New York Audio Show
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »
I thought the Coincident room sounded good as well, a little warmish for me and could have used alittle more air on top, but very nice, Best of Show? not in my book. But then again hotel rooms.....They are all there to sell gear(or try) but with Israel it is so obvious he just wants your cash. Like a jr Andy Singer
hard to really judge, The show was a little boring , it lacked a certain dynamic, I was there SAt and today I almost forgot about it
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:31 AM »
Went there Friday afternoon and wasn't very impressed with much of anything. Maybe because it was the first day.  I'm sure things changed later int he weekend. There were really only 3 standouts IMO:

Merril's room was sounding very nice.

The little utler speakers (from London) were sounding very nice in the Care Audio room.

Coincidentely, both these guys are NY Rave members!

The third room I liked a lot were those pixie shaped curly topped Vivid's.

Oh Yeah, and the MBL demo was not to be missed, but it left me a little deafened. Glad I did that as the last thing before I went home.

And those Woo Audio 300B headphone amps ... mmmmmmm. :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:16:04 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »
Maybe my expectations were too high, but I thought last year was a better show. Some nice stuff, but nothing that I said I had to have.. that I could actually afford. But thats not the point, its really to hear the pinnacle of the industry and see where we are headed. Companys presented themselves better last year it seemed. But I had fun nonetheless.
Its cool ndude.

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »
Went to the show on Saturday.  Not much different than the two previous shows here in NY.  Nothing at all like the shows of several years ago which were predominantly manufacturers shows.  Back then McIntosh would have a room with almost all of their products on display.  Same with Musical Fidelity and many others doing the same.

The more recent shows are basically dealer shows which may show one or two (at the most) products from one manufacturer.  There were a few exceptions though this year.  MBL, KEF, Coincident Speaker Technology, and a few other manufacturers were at the show.

Speaking of Coincident Speaker Technology (CST), in my opinion, by far the best sound at the show. Pure Reference Extreme speakers ($26,800 per pair) biamped by CST Dragon 211PP tube monoblocks ($10,999 per pair) and CST M300B MKII Frankenstein tube monoblocks ($5,999 per pair).  Big $$$$$ but the sound was worth the $$$$.

Have to give Rocky Mountain a try.  I found the NY show pretty boring.  One man's opinion.

Russ     

That is why I did not go. Boring. Rocky Mountain and the DC Audiofest are much better. Besides not a fan of the Chester Group who runs the show.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

drews_hifi

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
Considering the state of our hobby, the difficulties and expense involved in exhibiting in NYC - This year's show met all my expectations and I had a great time.

There was great sound for big bucks-
Wilson, Gamut, Sanders, Martin Logan stood out for me.

The MBL demo was a taste of how things could be if I had all the money in the world, except I'd use a bigger screen. 

Lots of records playing.  VPI blanketed the show w tables.

Wes Bender spinning tunes on the big Redpoint- prob got the most out of the modest Marten spkrs.

Friendly attendees and room people.  Lots of good music- didnt hear much that chased me out of a room.

Neat hotel- relatively large rooms, windows looking out at st pats. 

Offline Packfill

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

Lots of good music- didnt hear much that chased me out of a room.

Rooms playing jazz 50%, my interest in jazz 5% if I'm being very generous, real world popularity 1%.  I recognize that jazz records are better recorded but its tough to love the room if you don't like the music.  I have to give Wes Bender props in this regard for generally playing broadly appealing and well recorded music.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:05:20 PM by Packfill »