Author Topic: Re June GTG with Bryston  (Read 36567 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Re June GTG with Bryston
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 04:56:45 AM »
bhobba, can you tell us more about the big brothers, provide a link, etc? I've been waiting for a long time for bigger version to materialize. Thanks!
Rich

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »
bhobba, can you tell us more about the big brothers, provide a link, etc? I've been waiting for a long time for bigger version to materialize.

Hi Rich

Its the ML3's mate.  Lenehan Audio has not got them up on the website yet.  But I do have some pickies:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=user;id=3110

They are flat to 25hz, lined with steel etc just like the ML1's.  They come in three versions - the basic, plus R's, and Reference.  I can't tell you the price because I got them when they had an introductory price of $14k for the Reference (cant recall exactly what the others cost but as a rough guide I seem to recall about $6k for the basic and $8k for the Plus R).  I think that introductory offer has now expired but if you are interested contact Lenenan Audio - you may be lucky.

I was so bowled over by the References I purchased three pair pretty much on the spot (I hadn't heard them at that stage - it was based on the ML1 Reference and what I was told about them) - one pair of what Lenehan Audio calls the limited edition, one pair for a friend to get the introductory price because he can't take delivery right now, and one pair to tide me over until the limited editions are built which is a few months away.   I have heard prices like $22k bandied about when the introductory offer is over - which is why my friend was so keen to get it even though he can't take delivery now.  The idea was I could trade up to the Limited Editions or on-sell them - I hadn't made up my mind at that time.  But since then Eric (the Tranquility DAC guy) has indicated he would like one to check out for use as one of his reference systems so I will be sending it out to the US similar to the ML1's.  That's good news for you guys because I will giving it a stopover like the ML1's so you can check them out.  The bad news is by that time they will almost certainly be much more expensive if they are not already.

How do they sound?  Well they are simply the best speakers I have ever heard.  I have been there while they were compared to other speakers like the B&W 804D - no contest - it simply blew them away.  I have heard of guys who nearly bought other much more expensive stuff but for some reason popped around to hear them and instantly bought a pair.

I will actually be running my pair from an 8w SET.  Here is what one guy said of that combo:
'Then a Trafomatic 8W SET valve amp got a chance to play, and offered up a Diana Krall live recording with absolutely stunning quality. You wouldn't want to throw anything too dynamic at it, but oh my god the HiFace/PDX/Trafomatic/ML3 combination did something magic together.'

Evidently my ML3's will be delivered next week and I think you can understand my excitement.

Because I have waxed so lyrical about them you may think I have some commercial connection to Lenehan Audio.  I don't.  I am simply an enthusiast who is now retired and can spend a bit of time checking out and posting about this stuff.  I also enjoy sending my gear around for people to hear and see what they think.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:47:10 AM by bhobba »

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:49 AM »
Hi Guys

I just want to say whatever day you decide I am happy to make my ML1 Reverences that Chris has available.  It should be a good match for the Bryston amps - it really does like valve stuff.  I use the ones I have at home with a 15W Leben and will be using an 8W Trafomatic SET on their big brothers that are a bit more sensitive - 86 db is just a bit low for a SET amp - but their big brothers are 89db and I find thata just fine.

Thanks
Bill

Bill, lets talk. We appreciate your thoughtfull offer.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »
Thanks Bill. Glad to hear that the larger speakers are finally a reality! That is great news. Congrats on your new speakers. From what I've read about Lenehan speakers your enthusiasm is not unwarranted. Many people buy them immediately on first listen.

I did hear them once in RMAF and was very impressed. They were by far the best small monitors I ever heard, and had bass to compare to most 2.5 way small floor standers. I almost wish I took advantage of the intro offer back then ($2000USD delivered?) but I need a larger speaker. I hope to hear the little guys again sometime, and eventually the ML3 when they come through. Or Maybe Eric will use them to demo his products at trade shows.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 08:06:24 AM »
Bill, lets talk. We appreciate your thoughtfull offer.

No problems mate.  Happy to discuss any issues etc etc or indeed anything else you want to chat about.  But its pretty simple really.  Lonewolfny42 (Chris) has them right now and has my permission let anyone out your way check them out.  I save chatted to Chris for many years now on all sorts of issues and am very comfortable he will look after the speakers.   My understanding is Chris will be attending your get together and I am more than happy for him to take them along.  So really all you have to do is liase with Chris about it.  My understanding is Chris is having some guys over this weekend to check them out - can hardly wait to hear what he and the others think.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
Thanks Bill. Glad to hear that the larger speakers are finally a reality! That is great news. Congrats on your new speakers. From what I've read about Lenehan speakers your enthusiasm is not unwarranted. Many people buy them immediately on first listen.  I did hear them once in RMAF and was very impressed. They were by far the best small monitors I ever heard, and had bass to compare to most 2.5 way small floor standers. I almost wish I took advantage of the intro offer back then ($2000USD delivered?) but I need a larger speaker. I hope to hear the little guys again sometime, and eventually the ML3 when they come through. Or Maybe Eric will use them to demo his products at trade shows.

Could they be the best small speakers in the world?  That's one reason I organised the stopover - to find out what guys out your way with access to a lot more stuff than we do think.  I recently heard of a comparison to a Magico Mini - the ML1's won.  Because of that I know its up there - but how far is what I hope you guys can help with.

Thanks
Bill

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
Well - Bryston is all ss, unless there's a surprise announcement in the works.

Now when Shadowlight reschedules, he'll have Hugh's valve-based amps present.

Good God, I'd love to get a new Bryston amp and a valve-based amp in the same room for some serious A/B comparo. My 4B will turn 30 next month and sounds great, but the Mullards I put in my valve-based pre and phono-pre also sound great, so I'm curious what to do next for an amp.

Decisions, decisions......

Hi Guys

I just want to say whatever day you decide I am happy to make my ML1 Reverences that Chris has available.  It should be a good match for the Bryston amps - it really does like valve stuff.  I use the ones I have at home with a 15W Leben and will be using an 8W Trafomatic SET on their big brothers that are a bit more sensitive - 86 db is just a bit low for a SET amp - but their big brothers are 89db and I find thata just fine.

Thanks
Bill
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
I have a 4BSST sitting unused for quite some time, interested? :)

If I were you, I'd get a pair of 845 monos. :D
Well - Bryston is all ss, unless there's a surprise announcement in the works.

Now when Shadowlight reschedules, he'll have Hugh's valve-based amps present.

Good God, I'd love to get a new Bryston amp and a valve-based amp in the same room for some serious A/B comparo. My 4B will turn 30 next month and sounds great, but the Mullards I put in my valve-based pre and phono-pre also sound great, so I'm curious what to do next for an amp.

Decisions, decisions......

Hi Guys

Thanks
Bill
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline bhobba

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »
Well - Bryston is all ss, unless there's a surprise announcement in the works. Now when Shadowlight reschedules, he'll have Hugh's valve-based amps present.

Sorry guys - my mistake.  I thought they made valve gear for some reason.  One thing transistor gear is likely have is better bass grip.  Because the ML1's are steel lined, and have other measures taken to reduce cabinet resonances even further, if you get something like a bass drum kick it is startling to say the least - SS amps tend to emphasize that aspect of the speakers.  But checking them out on both SS and valve gear would be awesome.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:55:20 PM by bhobba »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
Bill...

My understanding is Chris will be attending your get together and I am more than happy for him to take them along.

Yes....the 18th. is a go...so everyone can hear the ML1's... :thumb:

My understanding is Chris is having some guys over this weekend to check them out - can hardly wait to hear what he and the others think.

You'll have to wait Bill....because of the holiday weekend (Memorial Day), no one available to listen....another time will be set.

I will say....their excellent ....a pleasure to see....and hear. Thanks again to you...Eric....and Mike. :beer:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »
Chris, is Bill's set in those cool nukebomb suitcases?

Offline bhobba

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
Chris, is Bill's set in those cool nukebomb suitcases?

Those cases were sent with the speakers.  It's virtually mandatory for what Eric wanted them for - a portable system to demo his DAC - they make transporting them a breeze.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »
I will say....their excellent ....a pleasure to see....and hear. Thanks again to you...Eric....and Mike. :beer:

Hi Chris

Great to hear mate.  Keep us all updated on what your listening uncovers.  Ricidoo set the bar high saying 'They were by far the best small monitors I ever heard, and had bass to compare to most 2.5 way small floor standers'.  Fingers crossed it lives up to it.

You and the guys out your way are more than welcome.  I have had a lot of pleasure over the years chatting to Chris and reading the write up's about your 'raves'. Mike is really keen to know what you think as well - Australia is a bit isolated so finding out how they fare in a much bigger pond will be very interesting.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:12:26 PM by bhobba »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
Rich...

....nukebomb suitcases...

:rofl:.....bomb proof....yes... and an excellent way to ship....and store.

They were contained in a shipping box....all arrive without any problems....well done !!

Ricidoo set the bar high saying 'They were by far the best small monitors I ever heard, and had bass to compare to most 2.5 way small floor standers'.  Fingers crossed it lives up to it.

Good things come in small packages.... :beer:

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 06:07:19 AM »
  Guys the theme of the meeting is an ALL Bryston system. From DAC  to Amp plus cabling. The concept of a single Manf. system intrigues us. The carver Amazing speakers being used are a great match for the Bryston gear.
   A tubed amp is welcome to demo the speakers. What is the sensitivity of the ML-1 ? We can work something out. We will need stands as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.