Author Topic: Capacitor Break-In Time.  (Read 15227 times)

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
Capacitor Break-In Time.
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Many of us Audiophiles have upgraded and modified our components.  My DAC has many new Electrolytic Panasonic and Black Gate Caps.

Based on your own experiences, how long did it take for you to burn in the Caps in terms of Hours and number of listening sessions?

Did you go through changes in the sound during this time?

Liz

shep

Re: Capacitor Break-In Time.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »
The BG's in my amp took about 300 hours to burn in. This is typical. Others, like Panny's take less...say 100 hours. The effect can range from subtle to quite dramatic.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:28:31 AM »
BG's are notorious for taking a while and doing so, do a big Jekyll and Hyde thing.  I've heard them take up to 500 hours to really settle down and come into full song.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
  Paul the BG take as Brian stated 500 hours plus. hang in there.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »
... and then if you go on a long hiatus, say 2 months, the BG's go back somewhat to their original sound and you need to do another break in. Perhaps shorter, but still there to be done nonetheless.

All caps break in, most between 50-100 hours. Teflons and BG's are the notable exceptions that take hundreds of hours more.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I just took the DAC out of my system and hook it up to my Home Theater. Two nights ago the system sounded wonderful and yesterday the SQ was lousy.

I will probably play the Dac for 2 hours, shut it down for a while and then play it again for another two hours. I am told by a Guru not to play the Dac all the time.

Liz

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
If you want the BG's to form inside your lifetime, I would just turn it on and play it for a couple weeks straight, 24 hours a day.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
Connect it to a load, which can be any other component's line input, even if the component is not powered up. A SS input would be a better workout than a tube load. Pop music is compressed for constant strong signal so it makes a good break in for caps. Also the Frybaby signal also works good. PM me if you want it.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
Do yourself a favor and do not run it 24/7. Capacitors need the on/off cycle to stablize. This allows the caps to discharge and recharge, shortening the time it takes them to "break in".

So, periodically turn the component off for about an hour at minumum. A few hours on, a few hours off.

It will still take some time for BG's to come into their own but this method will speed up the process.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
Thanks Bill. I agree with you about not running the Dac 24/7. 2-3 hour sessions is best and having multiple a day should help.

FYI, the Dac is a ANK 2.1 Level B signature which was modified (customized ) now running 12AU7 tubes.

Do yourself a favor and do not run it 24/7. Capacitors need the on/off cycle to stablize. This allows the caps to discharge and recharge, shortening the time it takes them to "break in".

So, periodically turn the component off for about an hour at minumum. A few hours on, a few hours off.

It will still take some time for BG's to come into their own but this method will speed up the process.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
I found AN sounds best when turned off :thumb:
Connect an arc welder to the inputs and let it reach critical mass.
Then cryo the thing!

Trust me this works

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »
Very Funny Little Mikey :-)

I found AN sounds best when turned off :thumb:
Connect an arc welder to the inputs and let it reach critical mass.
Then cryo the thing!

Trust me this works

mike

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
    Five hours on five hours off. Forming is what we are looking for. Blackgates are notorious for a very long breakin period. Some say they never truly form.  :roll: Some say they do, go figure.
    Cryo treatment may lessen the period.

charles

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:27:24 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
I am still burning in the Dac within my HT system. I am giving it two sessions a day for an average of 8-12 hours.

Yesterday, the sound seemed a bit dark as if the HF's were rolled off. I will continue to give it more burn in time.