Author Topic: January Meeting  (Read 7679 times)

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
Re: January Meeting
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
I am not familiar with Jim's system (not understanding the primary personality), so I will comment on my "immediate" take over that hour or so (not counting the 2-hr. warmup on the side!).  The Bolder EE DAC has a much higher output than the regular EE DAC.  That I've observed with my experiment here at home, between the Bolder and my unit.  Guess it's all due to all those part replacement/upgrade done by Wayne.

With the BC DAC in Jim's system, the sound improved significantly, tho someone commented it was just a slight improvement.  Most others thought the difference was significant.

I am still experiment with the BC unit and mine here at home.  Will/May update later.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
Thanks to Jim for hosting Our Jan Syndrome meeting...

+1
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 09:39:42 AM »
  Well there was certainly more clarity with the Bolder modded DAC. Bass was better defined. The top end maybe a tad thin however that just may be the 12AT7 used. I would like to hear a Mullard 12AT7 in the DAC.
  When I get it back this week we will try a different tube. Vocal sibilants were more prevalent with the EE. Now was that more info was available or the tube was doing it. When we switched to Op amp mode we lost gain big time. However the top was not over energized. So that's why I'm thinking its the tube.
  As we do not own an original EE DAC a comparison could not be had. Hopefully I can get it to lock with the Lector. Other DACs had no issue, so maybe we did something out of sequence.
  Is there a procedure in connecting that we are unaware of. Unlikely but had to ask. We had a similar issue at the meeting with digital cables and laser lock. When we got it to play most were impressed.
  For an Audio Club  that says allot.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
Jim is great host and the meeting was fun. The SQ was quite good as Jim has great gear.