Author Topic: January Meeting  (Read 7675 times)

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
January Meeting
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
 Jim K. will host our January meeting on the 21st. Jim's Wytech 211 based amp and Von S VR-6 are sounding quite good. Jim made some recent tube changes [ 6SN7] to the amp which must be heard. All are welcome.

charles
president
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

Re: January Meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »
  Wayne at Bolder is sending a EE modded DAC for our meeting. it should be fun.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
I think I will be there and hello.
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
Welcome to AN machinehead!!   8)

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »
Charles,

Can you please try and confirm that the BC modded EE dac will be there. If yes, I may bring my laptop and interface to connect to the BNC input on the EE dac. Please let me know.

Paul

Wayne at Bolder is sending a EE modded DAC for our meeting. it should be fun.

charles

Paul,
         It is confirmed that is why I posted it.  :duh :thumb:

charles
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:10:02 AM by rollo »

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »
The modded EE DAC is shipping Monday from PA. As long as there is no major snowstorm next week, it should be in NYC by the weekend.

It is going to goldlizsts. I believe he is going to get it to rollo for the meeting.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
The modded EE DAC is shipping Monday from PA. As long as there is no major snowstorm next week, it should be in NYC by the weekend.

It is going to goldlizsts. I believe he is going to get it to rollo for the meeting.

Wayne,

I am very interested in hearing this DAC at the Syndrome meeting next week. If you cam make anyhwere near the improvement that your Mensa Mod made to my DI/O this will be one sweet piece.  :drool:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:24:27 AM »

Hey Wayne,

Let me backtrack, this modded EE DAC, is it a Level 1 (however you labeled it) mod :roll:? I have lost track; what modded features are involved in this unit I'll be getting (like op-amps, bypass....).

Another thought - Charles gracefully invited me to come over for their meeting this Friday. It was coincidental that I would be auditioning the DAC now.  Of course I'd be happy to bring it over so every one will offer his expert take and to extoll its virtues.  Today is a holiday, so receiving it in time by Friday is a bit of a close call.  But, may be the PA person is going to send it overnight, so.... we'll just have to see. :thumb:

Shek

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »
The modded DAC is Level 1. There are over 30 capacitors replaced with higher quality, higher value types. There are an additional 30 capacitors added (under the board) for supplemental and bypass purposes. 12 diodes have been upgraded and 7 resistors have been changed. A cascoded constant current source has been added to each anode supply for the tube. The op-amps for the I/E (current to voltage conversion) and solid state output have been changed. The output coupling caps for the op-amp output have been removed. The output coupling caps for the tube output have been changed to Sonicap Gen 1 with Gen 2 bypass. There should be a silver fuse and the Pavane 12AU7-T tube in it. The cost for the mod as you have it is $800.00 including tube and fuse.

I did receive confirmation the DAC has arrive in NYC, just barely in time. It should have some warm up before listening. I realize this is very impractical at a group meeting. That is pretty much why I have been sending it around to individuals for a one week audition.

Shek, I appreciate your bringing the DAC along to the meeting. I hope it will sound decnet with the very short warm-up time .

I do look forward to any and all comments from those who listen to the modded EE DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »
The modded DAC is Level 1. There are over 30 capacitors replaced with higher quality, higher value types. There are an additional 30 capacitors added (under the board) for supplemental and bypass purposes. 12 diodes have been upgraded and 7 resistors have been changed. A cascoded constant current source has been added to each anode supply for the tube. The op-amps for the I/E (current to voltage conversion) and solid state output have been changed. The output coupling caps for the op-amp output have been removed. The output coupling caps for the tube output have been changed to Sonicap Gen 1 with Gen 2 bypass. There should be a silver fuse and the Pavane 12AU7-T tube in it. The cost for the mod as you have it is $800.00 including tube and fuse.

I did receive confirmation the DAC has arrive in NYC, just barely in time. It should have some warm up before listening. I realize this is very impractical at a group meeting. That is pretty much why I have been sending it around to individuals for a one week audition.

Shek, I appreciate your bringing the DAC along to the meeting. I hope it will sound decnet with the very short warm-up time .

I do look forward to any and all comments from those who listen to the modded EE DAC.

Wow, that is some overhaul. Kind of like jacking up the radiator cap and drove a new car under it.  :rofl:

It looks like things are falling into place for the meeting. The DAC has made it into the area and the snow storm that was supposed to last until afternoon and drop 6 or more inches of snow picked up speed and blew out of the area by about 7AM leaving less that 3". This will give the City plenty of time to clear the roads in time for the meeting.

How much warm-up time do you suggest for the DAC? We usually get together at about 7:30 and start our business meeting at about 8, where we discuss anything related to club operations and the throw it open for a general roundtable discussion of what has been going on in the industry and/or any of our individual systems. Between the gathering and discussion time it can easily be an hour or more before we get down to any hardcore listening. Do you fell this is enough time for warmup?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
sorry guys. I planned on coming tonight but I woke up this morning with aches and pains. Flu, I guess. Bed seems to be a better alternative to me than venturing out in the cold. I don't even feel like listening to music, now you know I'm sick
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
I'm going to miss this also. Tired and cold from work. Hope to catch it next time

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »
sorry guys. I planned on coming tonight but I woke up this morning with aches and pains. Flu, I guess. Bed seems to be a better alternative to me than venturing out in the cold. I don't even feel like listening to music, now you know I'm sick

Bob,

Normal I would say that being selfish and not sharing is a bad thing, but given the circumstances I am sure I can speak for the rest of the guys at the meeting in saying we appreciate the fact that you decided to keep that flu bug all to your self. And besides, Jim has a small apartment so I don't know if there would have bee room for you and all those germs.  :lol:

Maybe if the flu gets real bad and your ears clog up you can us it as an opportunity to listen to some  of those great old rock albums that sounded great on that cheapo 70s record player, but sound like fingernails on a blackboard on a modern hi-res system. (Hey we audiophile can figure out how to turn dam near anything into a tweak, even germs  :thumb:)

...... or you could just listen to a regular audiophile album and pretend you are at Roy's.   :rofl:

Either way put on a pot of chicken soup, get some extra rest this weekend and feel better.

Of course you could always do what my mother used to when I got sick. She would pull out the rectal thermometer and tell me that for as long as I was still sick she would need to take my temperature every few hours.  :shock: It was absolutely amazing how much that little magic wand would speed our recovery. Our kids just get something pointed at there ear or rubbed on their foreheads. It just doesn't seem to have the same effect.  [-(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:57:06 AM »
Thanks to Jim  for hosting Our Jan Syndrome meeting last night. Due to the weather we had a smaller than normal turnout, but Jim's apartment has less space that we normally have for our meeting so that worked out just perfectly. Jim had done quite a bit of work on acoustic room treatments since the last time I was there and I have to say that I have never heard his system sound better  :clap:  (of course IMHO is would have been better still if he had a turntable to play those records in the corner  ... sorry I couldn't help myself  8-[ ) Thanks also to Wayne and Shek for making the Bolder Modded EE DAC happen for the meeting. I will post more later, (I have to drive my son to school now - he is taking driver ed and this morning is the final exam.), but let just say briefly that I was very impressed with the DAC. Yes guys, mark your calendars I did say something nice about a piece of digital gear.  #-o

More details to follow.........

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
  A good time had by all. Jim's VS VR-6s with the 211 based Wytech amp and Stevens and Billington custom passive  preamp was a joy to hear. Driven by a CEC transport and a custom DAC based on the Oritek designed By Dahong.
 Before the meeting we tried the EEDAC with the Lector. We could not get it to lock, with little time we did not persue it. At the meeting we had a similar problem however was able to get it running. The DAC warmed up for 2 hours before playing. We used Wayne's powercord and a Kimber D-60 digital cable.
  The sound ? Transparent and dynamic. Bass especially tight and focused. A full review will be forthcoming when I get it back from Shek for a week. So far no complaints.
  THANKYOU Wayne.

charles