Author Topic: September Syndrome Meeting.  (Read 6774 times)

ltr317

September Syndrome Meeting.
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
Due to several unforseen circumstances, the September meeting will be held on Friday, October 1st at the fortress of Charle's Rollo.  All are welcome to attend.  For meeting info, please contact either Charles or myself via pm.  Thanks.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
Re: September Syndrome Meeting.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »
Great! I am so into hearing the Set amps with the Audio Note C-Core trannys!

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:54:31 AM »
Great! I am so into hearing the Set amps with the Audio Note C-Core trannys!
  Nope no Audio notes. Lundahl and Antique Sound Labs. Sorry. The Audio Notes were cost prohibitive, even the lessor models.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »
Hello,

The meeting was so much fun. Thanks to the hosts, Charles and Joan for another great meeting. The puppy is getting big and it is wonderful to see the host has his SET amps back. There was a lot of time for listening and I enjoyed it very much.

It was great to hear the might Linn Lp12.

As always, it is was great to see everyone who showed up. Charles K and Dennis were not able to come and we missed them. G-d speed to quick recovery for both.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:51:47 PM by Lizard_king »

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »
+1

Another enjoyable meeting at Charles & Joann's. A bit smaller than usual turnout due to the re-scheduling issues we had for September I'm sure, but fun nonetheless.  I liked your re-arranged listening room, Charles.  It somehow looked bigger or at least more "roomy"!?  Good music, good snacks and good friends.  A winning combination!

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »
Charles - Thanks to you and your wife for hosting and for a most enjoyable evening.

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 02:07:08 PM »
+1

Another enjoyable meeting at Charles & Joann's. A bit smaller than usual turnout due to the re-scheduling issues we had for September I'm sure, but fun nonetheless.  I liked your re-arranged listening room, Charles.  It somehow looked bigger or at least more "roomy"!?  Good music, good snacks and good friends.  A winning combination!

SN

Bill,

You're partially right that attendance was a little lower because of the re-scheduling.  I heard from 4-5 others who wanted to attend the meeting but couldn't due to different reasons, so the short notice was not the factor.  I counted 19 at the high point Friday night, but if you take into account the other no-shows I mentioned, the total would be 23-24, which is actually on par with the 24-30+ attendance numbers for meetings this year. 

Paul

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
+1

SN

+2

Of course the room looked smaller, he moved the ARC D-250. That amp is bigger than my first car!  :rofl:

We tried to do a shootout between the AER Disc Energizer and the Bedini Ultra-Clarifier, but unfortunately Charles made the mistake of playing some LPs first. We listened to a few minutes of Danny Boy from a Jacintha XRCD first untreated and the from two separate discs each treated with one of the devices. After listening to all three the groupwas asked what the thought and the universal response was "I think we should go back to listening to vinyl" (warmed my heart  8) ). We just could raise a whole lot of serious interest in spending more time on the treatment devices (or even discussing them to any great extent.) But for what it is worth here is my personal take on the demo (I invite anyone else who was there to also post their own thoughts):
Keep in mind that this opinion as formed after a single 2 minute exposure to one song from one disc, so I am not sure I can even call it an opinion. Maybe first impression is a more accurate term. Anyway, both devices change the some of the disc, but not in the same way. The AER treated disc had more of a smooth mellow character kind of like a classic tube sound, while the Bedini treated disc seemed to bring out more detail and resolution which also made it sound a bit harder as compared to the AER disc (on a relative basis, it did not make it sound overly hard in and of itself. Again this was only a quick 2 minute sound bite with each treatment and before I would form a complete opinion I would want to hear the same discs over again as well as do the same thing on several other discs and types of music.Bottom line is that I get the feeling that this may very well come down to a matter of taste and system matching and there might be no definitive right and wrong over which one (or neither) is the best way to go. (why should this be different than anything else in high end?  :duh )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
 Glad to hear all had fun. Well maybe except Roy and Mel. They argued all night long about subjective theories and analog vs digital. Oye! Gotta love them. The scientist vs the reviewer priceless.
   Thanks all for coming.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
Glad to hear all had fun. Well maybe except Roy and Mel. They argued all night long about subjective theories and analog vs digital. Oye! Gotta love them. The scientist vs the reviewer priceless.
   Thanks all for coming.

charles

What do you mean Roy didn't have fun... he was arguing wasn't he?  :lol:

But this has been going on for literally, dozens of years. Before he had Mel & Mark to argue with he would go at it with Marcus and Izzy. And mostly the same set of topics (tubes vs. transistors, analog vs. digital, front of the hall vs. back of the hall), but usually with a slightly different perspective each month. Roy is nothing if not persistant. He may be a nudge, but he's our nudge. Like you said, gotta love 'em.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »
 It all TOO BRIGHT. Give me tone or give me death. Thats what Patrick Henry really meant. He had tubes.  :thumb:

charles

Offline RussL

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:42 AM »
Sorry I missed the meeting guys.  Left my house at 6:40 PM and got as far as X57 on the LIE, all during a torrential rain storm.  Turned back; it was too hard to see. :(

Tom- had your cable with me. :roll:

Russ

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
Sorry I missed the meeting guys.  Left my house at 6:40 PM and got as far as X57 on the LIE, all during a torrential rain storm.  Turned back; it was too hard to see. :(

Tom- had your cable with me. :roll:

Russ

Long Island weather is really crazy. We didn't get a single drop of rain in Nassau or Queens all night.  :-k
That happens to me all the time. We'll be either running or cancelling hockey games at our outdoor ice rink on the north shore based on the weather there and will get phone calls from people who are 5  miles away questioning our decision because the weather by them is exactly the opposite.

Don't worry about the cable. I know where it is.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9