Author Topic: Alan Maher CBFs  (Read 34762 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Alan Maher CBFs
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »
Yeah, you don't want to block that.   :nono:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2010, 06:56:47 AM »
I had to pull the CBF I had on my preamp power cord. It was dulling the dynamics. With it gone I am getting that livlier sound again. Funny how it may not work in all places as effectively as it does in others.

I still have one on the bundle coming into the fuse box, and one on the fuse feeding the system, and one in a power distribution/conditioner box. Not sure where to put this 4th one now.

The other 3 are combining to make the system sing though.

Bob,
 I have been thinking about putting some on the breakers of circuits containing noisy appliances like the refigerator and the oil burner. I figure if they can block noise coming into the box from the sttreet w, why wouldn't they block noise being  backfed into the box from other circuits. Sounds good in theory, but I don't know if it will translate into an audible difference. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it.  I have a couple of extra CBFs laying around, now all I need to do is find the time to play with them.

As for your system sounding dull, I have always been nervious about going overboard with AC line filtering of any kind. When does a transient current draw from the equipment start to look to the filtering device like noise (or a spike) trying to push its way in? Again the only way to know is to trust your ears.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »
Try balancing it on your head while you listen. Seriously. Your brain is electric, right?

Yes in the back of the head. Secure with a self tapping screw. Bob you may be correct. I've noticed that when putting one on the plug of the AC cord as well. On the IEC end alone for some reason the results were not dulling.
   So far the most bang came from treating the panel [ wire bundle and ground], dedicated line and the duplex outlet box. The jury is still out with placing one CBF on the D/A chip in the CDP.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
On second thought, as a 16 year-old male his "random thoughts" are not that random at all. They are almost all focused on the same thing.  :shock: :yay2: :shock:

Maybe I ain't as old as I thought...???  I know for sure that I'm at least a "few" years older than 16 and yet, that's where my thoughts are most of the time as well!!! :-)

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »
On second thought, as a 16 year-old male his "random thoughts" are not that random at all. They are almost all focused on the same thing.  :shock: :yay2: :shock:

Maybe I ain't as old as I thought...???  I know for sure that I'm at least a "few" years older than 16 and yet, that's where my thoughts are most of the time as well!!! :-)

SN

And will be until the throw the dirt on you.

We're guys. That's what we do.  aa
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:15 AM »

SN

And will be until the throw the dirt on you.

We're guys. That's what we do.  aa

I guess "boys will be boys"... always!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »
Yeah, the CBF was on the plug end. Maybe I'll try it on the IEC.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »

Hi Bob

If you spend any time on Facebook reading Alan Maher's posts (FWIW, I'm on FB mostly because of Alan's posts, sales etc...!!!) you will see that Alan will make recommendations and try to help answer everybody's questions, but...  The one common denominator in all of this (which sums up our hobby in total) is that YOU have to try things out in YOUR system and see (hear) what YOU prefer sound-wise.

BTW - The CAPS and bold type aren't directed to you personally, Bob.  (I know you understand the subjectivity and personal preferences that come into play when listening to new equipment, cables or tweaks etc...)  I'm just trying to emphasize the point that Alan has made to me via many e-mails +/or PM's that I've traded with him, which is to experiment with his products in your own system and determine what you like the best.  [Please don't take it as "shouting" at you.]  

Since we all have so many variables (equipment, room acoustics, cabling, system synergy, personal preferences, etc...) to contend with in audio, most everything is subjective!  Then again, that's what should be the fun part.  Try it.... Maybe you'll like it!?  :-)

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

evan1

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »

If you don't want it
I will take it. I need 2 more