Author Topic: June Syndrome meeting notice  (Read 11071 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: June Syndrome meeting notice
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »
I think it is also important to note that this was somewhat of a handicapped demo for Mark. Seeing as the speakers had to mounted on a wall the placement was limited to a spot that had some free space on a temporary basis. If the speakers were being placed for a permanent installation the room would be designed around them or at least more effort would be put into rearranging the room layout to accommodate better speaker placement. I guess what I am trying to say is that the speakers sounded good in spite of the (understandably) less than ideal setup And I think it would be safe to assume that the sound quality they produced would go nowhere but up give the opportunity to place them more optimally.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mark kovach

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »
Thanks again, Mel and Susan, for a great evening of food, music and socializing.  I had a really good time and a ton of fun also.  I was especially touched by most of the comments from Syndrome club members, both at the meeting and here on Audio Nervosa.  Without feedback from diverse and knowledgeable persons, I could not have arrived at this place (design-wise) where I am now, nor could I move forward with new ideas.   To hear positive feedback from a largely valve loving crowd made me think that the difference between tubes and solid state may not be as large a gap as some would lead us to believe. When evaluating my (or any other) system, I've tried to not get caught up in details like "I hear the trumpet a little more forward, or the bass is more focused..etc." as we all hear slightly differently and tend focus on an array of differences.  So for me, the comments "It sounded like the group was in the room," I was suprised, that I liked it," and "It was OK," are all valid and appreciated, as is "I could have used a little more bass."  Please keep them coming!

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
 Mark great to see you posting here. What impressed me the most is your thinking out of the box with your circuitry and conceptual design. The internal high pass is a wonderfull inclusion. Why strain the amp if the main speakers cannot produce the lowest signals. Save it for the sub BRILLIANT!!
 Shane are you reading this ? If so I would audition the preamp and speakers. The Hometheaterdoctor is in the house and Marks prescription is in order. He makes house calls.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
To hear positive feedback from a largely valve loving crowd made me think that the difference between tubes and solid state may not be as large a gap as some would lead us to believe.

I have found over the years that the better that amps have gotten the smaller the gap between SS and tubes. And doesn't this make sense given that we are all trying to drive towards the accurate recreation of the same event.I some way I think that the smaller the gaps become the more fervent the arguments because when there is less of a clear cut difference it is harder to defend your position. There are probably just as many arguments among tube lovers (SET vs. PP) as there are between tube and transistor advocates.
It all comes down to this. Solid state and tube devices as well as different circuit topologies all have their own strengths and weaknesses. And as the designs move closer and closer to the "musical truth" the differences become more a matter of personal preferences and synergies, as opposed to a binary right and wrong. And while I may prefer one type over the other when it comes to making a purchase for my own system, I can certainly recognize  a good sounding design using any technology. A good amp is a good amp regardless of what is inside the box.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:28:37 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
To hear positive feedback from a largely valve loving crowd made me think that the difference between tubes and solid state may not be as large a gap as some would lead us to believe.

I have found over the years that the better that amps have gotten the smaller the gap between SS and tubes. And doesn't this make sense given that we are all trying to drive towards the accurate recreation of the same event.I some way I think that the smaller the gaps become the more fervent the arguments because when there is less of a clear cut difference it is harder to defend your position. There are probably just as many arguments among tube lovers (SET vs. PP) as there are between tube and transistor advocates.
It all comes down to this. Solid state and tube devices as well as different circuit topologies all have their own strengths and weaknesses. And as the designs move closer and closer to the "musical truth" the differences become more a matter of personal preferences and synergies, as opposed to a binary right and wrong. And while I may prefer one type over the other when it comes to making a purchase for my own system, I can certainly recognize  a good sounding design using any technology. A good amp is a good amp regardless of what is inside the box.

Tom

:shock: :roll:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ltr317

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
I think it is also important to note that this was somewhat of a handicapped demo for Mark. Seeing as the speakers had to mounted on a wall the placement was limited to a spot that had some free space on a temporary basis. If the speakers were being placed for a permanent installation the room would be designed around them or at least more effort would be put into rearranging the room layout to accommodate better speaker placement. I guess what I am trying to say is that the speakers sounded good in spite of the (understandably) less than ideal setup And I think it would be safe to assume that the sound quality they produced would go nowhere but up give the opportunity to place them more optimally.

I can verify your statement.  While Mark's speaker setup sounded pretty good in Mel's temporary location, the speakers sounded better at his home where he had time to fine tune the setup.