Author Topic: June Syndrome meeting notice  (Read 11070 times)

ltr317

June Syndrome meeting notice
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
Greetings from the great white north.  The June Audio Syndrome meeting will be held at Mel G's country manor on Friday, June 25th.  All are welcome!  Please pm either Mr Charles Rollo or myself to rsvp and for directions.  The host would like a headcount to ascertain the amount of food needed, hence the rsvp.  The meetings since January have been well attended (25-35+), in some cases SRO.  I will be back to the southern part of North America before the meeting.  See everyone there.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:53:49 PM by ltr317 »

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: June Syndrome meeting notice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:21 AM »
  See ya all there.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone there :-)

Offline rollo

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:58 AM »

Paul how we doing with the demo disc ? 

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »
Paul how we doing with the demo disc ?  - charles

Paul

If you're finished with my Big Bad Voodoo Daddy & Coryell's CD's, please bring them to Mel's tomorrow night.

Thanks!
 SN
(Bill)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »

charles

I have some suggestions for the demo disc based on some scientific research done by Harmon International. Actually some interesting work that is trying to bridge some of the gaps between subjective and measurement evaluations. (If they actually get this done I am going to ask them to take on peace in the Middle East as their next project  :D )

I'll bring the paper to the meeting.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:42:33 AM »
The demo Disc is not ready yet. Only a small number of people gave me Cd's and there are not enough songs that will be right fpor the cd at this time. Next season , we should have one. I will return the few Cd's people gave me at Mel's.

Paul

charles

Regg

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
Just curious, but I was wondering what you hope to achieve with a new demo disc that the N.Y Audio Rave reference CD does not?

Offline rollo

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
Just curious, but I was wondering what you hope to achieve with a new demo disc that the N.Y Audio Rave reference CD does not?
Though well done ours for one, different and better recorded music as Paul makes great quality rips.

charles

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
This meeting was very nice.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Thanks to Mel & Susan for opening their home to us for what turned out to be another very successful meeting. June meeting have a history of light attendance because of graduations and people starting to get involved in summer activities, but for the 6th month in a row that we have had 30 or more attendees.   :thumb:

Mark K. of Miracle Audio (http://www.miracleaudio.com) was on hand to demonstrate two of his flagship products. His top of the line Di-Ane speakers are unique in that they are a full fledged audiophile speaker that is designed to be directly wall mounted. (And by the way I think we should nominate Susan for Audiophile wife of the year. I thought my wife was tolerant of my hobby, but if I ever tried to tell her that I needed to punch holes in her living room wall to to a stereo demo for the guys I would be ducking pots for sure. [-( ) These 42" x 14", 1/4 wave transmission line cabinets extend only 5" off the wall giving them a very high WAF.

OK, so they are easy to place, and can be kept out of the way to promote marital harmony, but how do they sound?  :-k  Better than they have any right to given conventional thinking. Mark has broken a lot of the traditional "rules of speaker building (and as a matter of fact has been told  his ideas would never work by many of the "titans" of this industry  [-X ) but somehow it all hangs together and produces some very credible sound. It really is a credit to Mark's ability to think outside the box. I was very impressed with not only the off axis response from a spectral point of view, but also the extent to which you could hear both speakers and still get a good sense of the stereo image from way outside the traditional sweet spot area. If I was pressed to identify any one weakness of these speakers I would have to say that on some tracks you did miss some of the lower foundational bass response (the most noticeable was the Hotel California track on the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over.) But it was not something that I noticed all the time and considering that Mark said one of his biggest target markets for this speaker is people will be using the speakers for Home Theater as well as pure music, I think it is safe to assume that many of the installations of this speaker will have a subwoofer that will be able to fill in the bottom octaves. (As a matter of fact Mark is working on a matching on-the-wall sub that he said should be ready for prime time very soon.)

The second item that Mark brought along to demo was his Divinative preamp.

It was hard to come up with an assessment of how the preamp sounded given the fact that I was listening to it with a pair of speakers I had never heard before, but it id have a number of features and characteristics that got my attention. First of all it is built like a tank. The fit and finish is absolutely first class and the electrical construction is clean and neat. I almost hesitated to post photos of the unit because the really look kind of ordinary and do not do justice to how well this piece is actually built. (But I knew Rich would be sad if there were no pictures, so here they are.  :drool:)The unit has a separate power supply chassis to keep all of the noisy PS components away from the signal path. And speaking of the signal path, there are no capacitors anywhere in the audio path. We can argue all day over which capacitors sound the best, but I think we can also agree that the best sounding cap in the signal path is no cap at all. And Volume control is achieve through the use of a microprocessor controlled ladder of extremely high quality resistors such that no more than two or three resistors are ever in the signal path at any give time (keep it simple.) The preamp also has a very interesting operational feature. It contains a comparator function that allows you to lock in a volume difference between two of the inputs so that whenever you change the selected input the volume automatically changes as well to insure a constant spl between the two components. Sounds like it would make comparing the sound of two different components a breeze. Again, given that I really had no reference point I can't make any specific comments about the sound, but I can say that it certainly sounded good within the confines of the system that was demoed and it had some operational and design features that really piqued my interest.  :thumb:

Thanks again to Mel for hosting,  :clap: to Mark for presenting  :clap: and to Susan for feeding and putting up with all of us loonies.  #-o

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
It's nice to see the Syndrome have another of what has become a run of highly successful meetings for the year.   Thanks to Mel & Susan, our hosts and to Mark from Miracle for demonstrating his pre-amp and unique wall mount speakers. Good food, drink, equipment & music is what it's all about!  :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
It seems to me that

Less is more

when it come to caps

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
It seems to me that

Less is more

when it come to caps

Mike

No doubt.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 06:08:07 AM »
  A special thanks to Mel and Sue for opening their home to the Syndrome. Great food interesting demo and of course nice to see a large turnout.
  Was quite surprised with Marks' demo. For a dual purpose speaker which is wall mounted was indeed musical. No inductors only caps in the signal path. A separate crossover [ duplicate] for each leg[ positive and negative] is quite innovative.The system was DEAD quite. Not a smidgen of hiss with your ear against the speaker.  A sub is required though. Especially for movies.
  The associated gear was a Threshold Statis amp, Moon CDP and homemade wiring [ By mark] No aftermarket cables. Although dynamic with excellent transient response the delicate detail was evident with the harmonics easily discerned without smearing. PRAT was excellent as the toe was a tapping. Decay of notes or hanging in air for the 3D affect was somewhat MIA compared to tubed systems but let me stress enough present to lull you in. 
   For me however a tubed amp would have made nice nicer. The overall presentation was neutral to the source for the most part. Very live sounding. Live recordings excelled over studio recordings. Different cables as tone controls would suffice in tailoring or dialing in your preferred sound.  Good recordings were very good, and poor recordings were well poor.
    Now that preamp with an internal high pass filter, over built power supply and innovative circuitry is one I would like to demo in my system. We did not have the opportunity to listen to LPs and of course the 60db internal Phonostage. Bummer. Next time.

Maybe Mark will post to fill in the rest.

charles