Author Topic: April meeting notice  (Read 7782 times)

ltr317

April meeting notice
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
The April Syndrome meeting has been emailed to club members.  In a capsule, the April meeting will be at Charles K palace on Saturday, April 24th.  Door open at 5 pm.  Guests welcome.  Either contact Charles Rollo or myself for details. 

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: April meeting notice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
April 24th?!?!?!

I'll miss you Paul :)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
Yup, same day as the Rave at Emil's, also on Long Island.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:43:23 AM »
  Oops, Sorry guys we had NO choice as this was the only day Charlie could have the meeting.  :duh
hey why not a double header ? Emils for lunch and Charlies' for dinner.  :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:04 AM »
Triple Header - the Rave is starting at Neal's, then we're going to Emil's for dinner. If we're going to head over to Charlie's afterwards I think you might start seeing us around 10PM.   :duh Too late? :lmc:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »
  Oops, Sorry guys we had NO choice as this was the only day Charlie could have the meeting.  :duh
hey why not a double header ? Emils for lunch and Charlies' for dinner.  :thumb:

charles

No worries Charles, I was just playin'  :lol:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
Hello Everyone,

The April meeting was great. I am so pleased that Sidney and Marcus showed up!  The food and drink what nice. For the Demo CD, please bring your CD discs to the next meeting to hand to me.

I will make the CD and anyone who want the Cd, I wil make you and first generation master.  Note, some of you have transports that can not read CD-R discs. I can hook my Mac laptop into your Dacs SPDIF input so you can hear the dicks songs direct from the hard drive.

Paul

Offline rollo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »
Charles and Karen thank you for opening up your home for our meeting. Paul thanks for bringing the Virtue Amps. Hybrid "D" amps based on B&O module with Gary Dodd tubed input. Tony from Dynastrings Cable Co for demoing your line of cables.
   The vinyl as usual provide some great tunes. Initially the Virtue amps hooked up to a Bryston pre was not a good match to say the least. HORRIBLE ! The Audible Illusions Pre fared much better. However no matter what combo we tried the top was piercing and hyped. Headache zone stuff. Paul seemed to think it was the JJ 12AU7 in the amps in lieu of NOS Mullard. Hard to say.
   Same for the cabling, hard to discern until the amps were out and only the ICs were used. some did notice the lack of focus and clarity once the speaker cables and others were pulled. The cables need another listen, hopefully in my system. In that scenario with vinyl the music was back. Several rounds of " Applause" went down with several LPs.
  All had a great time. Congrats to Jay as our new Seargent of Arms

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
Being a fairly new member, I'll state my piece and then duck for cover...
Last night's meeting might as well have been held at Charley-O's in Penn Station. Not a single music selection was without an equally loud crowd for competition. Something needs to be said and done in this area. Maybe we should begin to adhere to the 'doors open at', and 'meeting begins at' rules more stringently.
The host opens his doors to 25 guys, ostensibly to listen to his system. Instead, he gets last night... A noisy group far removed from listening. Sorry Charlie...
And, if I were Tony Grant, I'd be disappointed to say the least. He brings his cables for demo, which in the best of circumstances requires attention to detail, and got a noisy crowd for his trouble.
We should start demonstrating PA systems if this is the new normal.
Sorry for the tone of this, but I feel strongly about it after hosting the January meeting in which very little music was appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Jim

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
Initially the Virtue amps hooked up to a Bryston pre was not a good match to say the least. HORRIBLE !    

Good thing you didn't try to say this on AC!  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
Thanks to Charlie K and Karen for hosting and providing food/drinks.  At one point, there were over 30 members and invited guests at the meeting.  Every meeting since January has had between 24-35 people attend.

Charles - I listened to the Ice monoblocks for a week before I brought them over to the meeting.  I heard a similar problem in my system with the stock tubes, though not to the same degree that I heard at Charlie's, until I changed to 1960s Amperex, Mullard or Brimars which basically eliminated the treble etch.  I paired the Ice monoblocks with either a solid state or tube preamp, and didn't hear any major problems.  Tonally, the monoblocks had a hybrid sound with excellent resolution and soundstaging.  But since you weren't there, you can either believe or not believe me.  I didn't want to use the vintage tubes because that would have change the stock sound the manufacturer and Gary Dodd intended.  It's a personal taste anyway. 

Jim - I agree with your assessment.  Especially in light that several announcements were made to either quiet down or go to another room or the roof, so as not to disturb those who wanted to listen.  It takes a lot of time and effort to convince designers/manufacturers to trust me enough to lend me their equipment.  I think it's disrespectful to them where the chatter is as loud as the music.  No one can enjoy the music or the equipment in that situation.  It's like a mob mentality, where the noise just builds and builds.  If this continues, I will no longer make the effort to get new products.  It's just not worth it if my efforts go to waste.  On a similar matter, negative comments about one's choice in music is arrogant and narrow-minded.  Music is a personal preference, so nothing is proved by denigrating that preference except what I said in the previous sentence. 

Jim - Did you receive the AudioEngine credit card form I emailed you? 

Offline rollo

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:53 AM »
Paul and Jim. My sentiments are with you. However we had many non club attendees, who no matter what we said, did not listen. Another issue was the weather. It was really cold on the roof terrace so really no place to talk.
   We will address this matter at our next meeting. The demo at Dennis's home was quite good. Not much talking at all. Paul we appreciate your efforts and believe have supported them. Sales were made and interest perked.  :thumb: Keep up the good work and thank you again for your tireless effort.
  Why would I not believe you silly ? We commited the mortal sin of demo. Two items at once. Was it the cables ? [ Dynastrings] The amps ? [Virtue] The combo of both ? or that Bryston preamp[ ugh] Who knows. A better controlled demo would have been allowed us to hear  :duh what was what.
  All in all most had a terrific time eating, drinking and TALKING. I did NOT want to ruin the evening by strictly enforcing our RULE as so many non club members were invited. I thought it was futile after a while. We WILL rectify this for sure at the next meeting.  :thumb: We love ya.

charles

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:00:13 AM by rollo »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
Wow I am glad to hear we had such a big turnout again. Sorry I couldn't make it, but I had a family obligation. Sucks when life gets in the way of audio, doesn't it?  [-X

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about the extraneous noise level at the meeting (which granted is based on what I read here since I was unable to attend myself.) We really did not seem to have a noise problem at the last two meetings (my house and Dennis' house.) I don't think that this was because there was less chatting going on but rather because the chatters had somewhere else to be that was acoustically isolated from the listening area. From what I can discern, this was not an option at Charlie's home.

We as a club have made a concerted effort to expand the number of places we hold our meetings. One of the unfortunate side effects of this is that we are going to run into venues that are less than ideal for a meeting. (Not that they are in terms of the system or the persons home, but rather just not best facility for hosting a large group of people who want to be able to listen, eat and socialized and a good bit of the time have all three going on simultaneously.) We are just going to have to realize that certain meeting situations are going to be better than others. Personally I think that the downside of having some less than ideal sites is far outweighed by the benefits of enjoying the hospitality and the systems of a wider variety of members. So we will have to take the good with the bad.

I think we also need to take into account that for many of our members (myself included) a Syndrome meeting is as much a social event as it is a listening session. I suspect that anyone reading is of a similar mindset since you are seeking that same type of social interaction in between meetings via this online forum. My fear is that if we take too heavy handed an approach towards behavior a couple of things could happen. 1) If we make the meetings too stiff and rigid with respect to the listening sessions we run the risk of the social types drifting away from the club, and 2) we also run the risk of people who have less that idea layouts in their home not volunteering to host a meeting because they feel that meetings in there home would be less than successful. This will bring us right back to where we were last year where we had 4 or 5 good places for a meeting and seed stuck on going only there.

Now this is not to say that there doesn’t need to do a bit of behavioral modification amongst ourselves. Anyone who wants to socialize has an obligation to both the host and the rest of the members to do so in a manner that as much as possible  does not disrupt any of the other activities going on at the time (be that listening or anything else , like the business portion of our meetings. This is just plain common courtesy. I just want to leave open the possibility that there are other factors in play besides behavior. IMO, this is a multi-faceted issue and I just want to make sure we are careful that in trying to address it we don’t create more problems than we solve.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
Tom, are you related to Ed Koch? You are always the 'voice of reason'.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »
Tom, are you related to Ed Koch? You are always the 'voice of reason'.

Not that I know of.

BTW - "How'm I doin'?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9