Author Topic: NYAS March 19th. Meeting  (Read 5511 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
NYAS March 19th. Meeting
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »
I just want to take a minute here to thank Dennis for once again being such a gracious host and having another great Syndrome meeting at his house. 

Plenty of food and drink :beer: and some interesting new gear.

Here's a few...

AudioEngine A5 powered speakers
http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php

Sheng Ya (Shengya) electronics A-80CS Hybrid Integrated Amp via Grant Fidelity (Canada)
http://grantfidelity.com/site/sheng_ya_A80CS_hybrid_integrated_amplifier

Neko D100 Mk2 Stereo DAC
http://www.nekoaudio.com/

Thanks again, Dennis!  :thumb:
SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: NYAS March 19th. Meeting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:48 AM »
   Dennis thanks again for opening your home. nice to see some new members about as well. The Neko and intergrated made the Thiels sing pretty well. Nice synergy. Roy took the DAC home for further critical listening. Hopefully he will post his findings.
   In my system it was warm sounding. Non fatiguing. VG bass and smooth on top.  The Shengya was very impressive especially for $500. I still cannot believe no one bought it. The Audio Engine speakers were a delight. running off a mini laptop with no DAC had me intrigued. Thanks Paul for bringing the gear and Grant Fidelity for suppling the gear.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
   Dennis thanks again for opening your home. nice to see some new members about as well. The Neko and intergrated made the Thiels sing pretty well. Nice synergy. Roy took the DAC home for further critical listening. Hopefully he will post his findings.
   In my system it was warm sounding. Non fatiguing. VG bass and smooth on top.  The Shengya was very impressive especially for $500. I still cannot believe no one bought it. The Audio Engine speakers were a delight. running off a mini laptop with no DAC had me intrigued. Thanks Paul for bringing the gear and Grant Fidelity for suppling the gear.

charles

You're welcome, Charles.  It was my pleasure bringing the equipment to Dennis' meeting.  I thought the integrated amp, neko dac and the Thiels made a nice sounding combo.  The loaner amp is only $400, which makes it an even bigger bargain. 

AcidJazz

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
The web site states $900.?
Is there like a currency deflation somewhere?

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »

Actually the web sitge states List price of $900 US and a current selling price of $500 US.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/sheng_ya_A80CS_hybrid_integrated_amplifier

The $400 price that Paul quoted was for the demo unit that weas making the tour, not a new unit.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:10:14 AM »

No, actually they are reducing their prices to increase business. Now $500 but for club members $400.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
FYI - I was looking around the net for further info on Shengya equipment and found an article that said that Shengya manufactured equipment was being sold in the US under the brand name Vincent, which has been sold by Audio Advisor for quite a while. (AA currently lists a Vincent 100 wpc integrated amp for $1500 as opposed to the Shenyga at 80w for $500. I don't know how similar the circuitry is, but they both talk about using the same Chinese 6N2 tubes in the preamp sections.)

Bottom line is that for anyone looking for a small intergated amp this one is a steal. Although the brand name is new, it is a company who has been manufacturing for other brands that we do know for quite some time now and from what I heard last Friday night puts out very credible sound. It sounded good through Dennis's Thiels, a speaker that has a notorious reputation for being ruthlessly revieling. If this amp did not put out a clean signal it would have sounded like cr@p driving the Thiels.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »
Charles - Tom is correct, only the loaner is for $400 (with full factory warranty).  The special pricing of $500 is only for a limited time, as Grant Fidelity (importer) and Shengya (OEM) decided to discount most of the product line to encourage exposure to their products.  Shengya has been making hybrid amps for approximately 15 years, and as Tom mentioned, supplying several other high end companies with their products.  I would have bought the loaner in a second, except I have too many amps currently.  I had the amp playing in my second system for a few weeks, and really enjoy the sound.

TomM

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 06:51:59 AM »
Just wanted to say a late thank you to Dennis for opening up his home to all.   TomM