Author Topic: Turntable Ordered- Tom M's House Was Culprit  (Read 21061 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Turntable Ordered- Tom M's House Was Culprit
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »
After listening for about 30 seconds to Tom's VPI, I knew then that I had to get a new table. I know the evening's task was supposed to be evaluating the Oppo vs Tom's digital setup, but I couldn't help thinking about those 15 minutes or so of records.
Between all the records I currently own, and the vast selection now out there, I am pumped to say the least.
My SOTA Comet table has seen very little use in the past ten years- since I have quite a collection of 12" 45's and a bad case of musical ADD, taking the platter on and off to change speeds became more than a little annoying.
Enter the Clearaudio Concept turntable; speed selection at the turn of a dial, and quite good looks. I look at this as a new entry point- if the new vinyl addiction takes hold, I can always move up the ladder.
Any suggestions of rock, classical, or blues re-issues that sound great and don't cost $75 per record are appreciated.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Turntable Ordered- Tom M's House Was Culprit
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:25 AM »
Try looking here:

http://www.infinityrecords.net/

It's right up the block from my house. Maybe you can drop by one of these days and we can play one of your new acquisitions on my TT.

Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
Jim,

Welcome to Vinyl Land!  :yay2:

Happy to hear I was a positive influence on you!

I don't know if the Clearaudio comes with a cartridge premounted, but if you need hand getting it set up give me a call and I can take I ride out to your place. I have all kinds of cartrige alignment toys.

As for LPs, if you are at all into Pink Floyd, run, don’t walk to the nearest Best Buy and grab a copy of the 30th Anniversary release of Dark Side of the Moon. This 200g LP is far and away the best version of DSOTM I have ever heard and rumor has it that the press run is gone and once the store stock are sold that will be it. Best Buy gets $22.95 for it and if you miss out on this one you will really hate yourself. (You can go on bestbuy.com to check store stock. Give me a call and we can chat about what types of music you listen to and come up with a further list of buying recommendations.  

Maybe a road trip to Princeton Record Exchange might be in order……….   :D

Tom
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:22:54 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
Try looking here:

http://www.infinityrecords.net/

It's right up the block from my house. Maybe you can drop by one of these days and we can play one of your new acquisitions on my TT.

Bob

Infinity definitely has the widest selection of good quality LPs on the island. Highly recommended store. I'm just glad it is far enough away from me that I can't just pop in on my way home - that would be dangerous.  aa
It's not PRX, but what the heck, it's not 2 1/2 hours away either.

Hey Bob,

I just found a copy of a CD by the Hohner Accordion Orchestra. A group of 27 accordion playing classical music. I thought it would be right up your alley. Meant to show it to you last Saturday, but forgot in all the mayhem.

Tom

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »
Hey James welcome aboard.  Good luck with the purchase.
   Check out Classic Records gret stuff and not very expensive.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »

Hey Bob,

I just found a copy of a CD by the Hohner Accordion Orchestra. A group of 27 accordion playing classical music. I thought it would be right up your alley. Meant to show it to you last Saturday, but forgot in all the mayhem.

Tom

Thanks for sparing me the pain Tom  :rofl: But seriously, I bet it sounds pretty good.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:46 PM »
I'm really interested to hear what you think of your new table.  I have a Pro-Ject RM6 and was considering moving up to the Clearaudio stuff... just depends on how many records I end up collecting... that I actually want to hear. ;)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
I just got back from Best Buy- no go on DSOTM. And I'm cancelling the turntable order, because the kid in BB said that "they aren't really making those players for records, and everything now is digital."
Get with the times, Tom.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »
Sage advice. What were you thinking James?   :duh

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
I just got back from Best Buy- no go on DSOTM.

Check bestbuy.com before you go. Search for DSOTM, scroll down to the vinyl version and then click on check stores. The next page will ask you for you zip code and then list all of the closest Best Buys and tell you which ones have it in stock.

Looks like right now the only store on LI that has them in stock is Westbury. Too bad you didn't know this last Sat.

Keep checking back, they sell out and get restocked pretty regularly. (Not too tough to sell out as they usually only bring in 2 or 3 pieces.

I know Mr. Cheapo's usually keeps a copy in stock in their Mineola store. I would think the most likely keep one in Commack as well. It's only a couple of miles from you

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:15 PM »
Congrats Jimbo,

Enjoy those vinyl Treasures.

Paul

After listening for about 30 seconds to Tom's VPI, I knew then that I had to get a new table. I know the evening's task was supposed to be evaluating the Oppo vs Tom's digital setup, but I couldn't help thinking about those 15 minutes or so of records.
Between all the records I currently own, and the vast selection now out there, I am pumped to say the least.
My SOTA Comet table has seen very little use in the past ten years- since I have quite a collection of 12" 45's and a bad case of musical ADD, taking the platter on and off to change speeds became more than a little annoying.
Enter the Clearaudio Concept turntable; speed selection at the turn of a dial, and quite good looks. I look at this as a new entry point- if the new vinyl addiction takes hold, I can always move up the ladder.
Any suggestions of rock, classical, or blues re-issues that sound great and don't cost $75 per record are appreciated.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

Try this Ben Harper LP....... :thumb:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 05:44:45 AM »
Most modern pressings sound bad or poorly eq'd... I've heard 1 that actually sounded 'good' and that was Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens.  I have the Raconteurs, John Mayer, and Dave Matthews latest, and they all sound like they were meant to be on cd.  The Mayer records are just awful... on vinyl, they sound more digital than cd.  If the DSOTM re-release was done on all analog equipment, I bet it's awesome.  Que up the Wizard of Oz and enjoy!  Otherwise, I'll skip it.

Used vinyl from times when analog recordings were being done is the only way to go.  Otherwise, the magic is lost... or at least doesn't work.

So it's even tougher for me to find music that a-I like and b-sounds better than cd... sigh.  But it's a great nervosa.. I have to search far and wide, then listen and hope for the best.

-C
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:47:47 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:31:13 AM »
I just got back from Best Buy- no go on DSOTM. And I'm cancelling the turntable order, because the kid in BB said that "they aren't really making those players for records, and everything now is digital."
Get with the times, Tom.

Your kidding right ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
If the DSOTM re-release was done on all analog equipment, I bet it's awesome.  Que up the Wizard of Oz and enjoy!  Otherwise, I'll skip it.

Carl,

A little history on the 30th Anniv. DSOTM release. First of all it was mastered from the original analog stereo master. As the story has it, like in most other things US and European standard for analog tape recorder set-up are different ( particularly the Bias and EQ, the EQ that is internal to the recorder electronics itself, not the tone changing EQ that the recording or mastering engineer applies to shape the sound) In the process of doing the 30th  Anniv. mastering somebody notice that for some reason one of the settings was set for the US standard and  the other for the European standard. Supposedly, this was the first time that both the EQ and the Bias were both set correctly during the mastering session. If this is actually true I don't know (hey, I saw it on the internet, it has to be true  ;) ) What I do know is the new LP is the best pressing of DSOTM I have every heard, bar none. That includes the original British EMI and the MFSL UHQR pressings. If you are a DSOTM fan this one is a must have.  :thumb:

Most modern pressings sound bad or poorly eq'd...... on vinyl, they sound more digital than cd.....
Used vinyl from times when analog recordings were being done is the only way to go.  Otherwise, the magic is lost... or at least doesn't work.

Unfortunately, while many new releases are now coming out on vinyl, many of these LPs are little more than analog pressings of the CD master, CD masters that have already been compressed and EQed for the benifit of the ipod generation. Sad, but to the major record labels,the LPs are looked at as an afterthought or a marketing gimmick, not as viable product line in and of themselves.  :(

On the other hand, the good news is there is a lot of good work being done by some small record companies who are re-releasing LPs of older recording where the LP and its sound quality are the companies main product. Of course you have to have a good quality  recording to start with, but there seems to be an increasing pool of great music of yesteryear coming out on high quality LPs. Go to the Acoustic Sounds web site  (www.acousticsounds.com) and check out some of the  reissues for some of the smaller labels like Classic Records, Pure Pleasure  or Sundazed. Good stuff.  Owner Chad Kasem is even starting to put out new direct-to-disc blues albums on his own Analogue Productions label.   :drool:

So it's even tougher for me to find music that a-I like and b-sounds better than cd... sigh.  But it's a great nervosa.. I have to search far and wide, then listen and hope for the best.

Don't I know it.  ](*,)
Like a lot of other things, the journey is more important (or at least more fun) than the destination. In a similar vein I keep trying to explain to my wife that going fishing and catching fish are two mutually exclusive events.  If they both happen on the same trip that's nice, if they don't , oh well. Women seem to have a have time grasping this concept.  :)

Tom
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:07:29 AM by Carlman »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9