Author Topic: January 2010 Meeting  (Read 14524 times)

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: January 2010 Meeting
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
The rave works because everyone is generally jazzed to participate. People bring equipment and there's a party atmosphere. OK, so that may not be for everyone, but you can't argue with the energy.

The Syndrome doesn't need to be a Rave clone, but there does need to be some kind of a shakeup of the membership to get them to participate actively in their club. It is a lot of work to create and orchestrate a meeting and it shouldn't fall to only one person month after month with nobody else stepping forward except to attend he meeting and scarf up all the cheesy snacks (I remember Earl posted by the cheese board... snif, miss him).

Not a clone the Rave is the Rave and thats that. your right more of an effoert from members is needed. I believe it can be done without a President. Maybe a committee instead.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »
I vote that Bob M & Andy make an audio baby utilizing 2 12AU7 tubes and ancient Voodoo. That baby will have the "mark" and lead the Audio Philes into battle.

Wow! A vacuum-tube baby
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
Hey Emil,

How are you? Nice to see you posting here. I look forward to attending your Rave meeting.

Paul

I vote that Bob M & Andy make an audio baby utilizing 2 12AU7 tubes and ancient Voodoo. That baby will have the "mark" and lead the Audio Philes into battle.

Wow! A vacuum-tube baby

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »

Wow! A vacuum-tube baby

A clone!!! I wonder what physical anomalies we can introduce to improve on his aural perceptions. I know as a scientist this will intrugue Andy to no end.

- bigger ears, but no, that could introduce a horn-like effect which wouldn't be good
- how about an inability to get shocked when he sticks his hand inside the tube amp to "tweak" something
- Perhaps we could make each finger a different necissary tool (screwdriver, +/- voltmeter probes, alcohol swab, tube pin cleaner, tweezer, etc.)
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:46 PM »

add Deton Nation's DNA into the mix and you would have a baby with the above with the addition of a rectal tube tester :rofl:

Still luv that scatological humor :rofl:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Just some observations from the NC group here..
We've had a group of guys hanging out listening to audio for as long as I've been in NC.. about 7 years.. The group has changed shape a little but not much, especially in the past 4.. At one point we discussed the possibility of a hierarchical structure but it was quickly dropped.  We did decide members should host and we have pressured everyone to host events.  As it stands, Rich and I host most of them.  We hold them when there's something new or interesting to hear... maybe an audition tour, new room changes, new gear... etc.  We decide on food as part of the hosted gathering.. and it all works out fine.

Our group is not for everyone... which is why there is more than 1 local audio group.  Our focus is always on musical enjoyment which is quickly turned to swapping stuff.  Maybe because everyone wants to 'fix' the sound to be more to everyone's tastes at each meeting. ;)

In any case, I'm offering this suggestion for the business meeting or for discussion here:
1- Decide who NYAR is and what your group wants to do
2- Decide what would be needed to organize it with the tools you have.  (e.g. who can/wants to host, this forum, etc.)

That's my 2 cents.. from an outside perspective.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
Our Club the Audio Syndrome has been around for over 30 years. We are considering changing our structure and or implementing some basic bylaws. Which to date were never needed. However times have changed and some members feel they are now needed.
   It worked well all those years it was loose and simple. The biggest issue like all the other clubs is securing meeting locations. The same members hold them most of the time. Not allowing enough lead time to coordinate any Manfs or component gathering.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »
30 years, wow! You don't need my input..  :duh
Good luck with the new ideas. :)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
30 years, wow! You don't need my input..  :duh
Good luck with the new ideas. :)
-C

We do appreciate the suggestions though. Thanks Carlman.

charles

drews_hifi

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 09:46:38 AM »
thanks carlman for the perspective.

i am intrigued re cloning tubes, but methods for extraction of genetic material (silica/metal based DNA type molecules) do not yet exist.  I could start experiments on  JJs or Sovteks, but wouldnt sacrifice a telefunken or amperex until all the methodology is in place.

then its into star trek- remember the silicon based life forms- thats what we're talking about here.  Silicon tends to form amorphous glasses or crystals, neither of which are good for stable specialized structures- this is one good reason we are carbon based.

I think the best we could hope for is a variety of glass bottle 12au7 recombinant mutants with no arms or legs.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »
Let's just hope we don't get attacked by the evil op-amp empire. :twisted:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
I feel in most cases that discrete circuits are superior than Op-amps in Audio.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
Here Here!  :thumb:   They certainly have the potential.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Seems like this must be required reading for forums of all kinds...

"Digression made easy" by G. I. Forgotwhatthetopicwas  :duh

I can't believe this thread went from the January Syndrome meeting notification to sci-fi vacuum tube baby-making! 

Unbelievable!

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
Gentlemen,
How was the meeting? What was decided??

I was planning to attend but 3 basketball games were in the way... I was only coaching two of them tonight (both victories BTW) since my oldest (10th grade) was playing HS ball...

Let me know! Inquiring minds (not only mine {the former AS president & AS treasurer) want to know as well!

Audios,
Pete
Former Recording Secretary for The Audio Syndrome (TAS)
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS