Author Topic: USB Vs Coaxial  (Read 2964 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
USB Vs Coaxial
« on: February 07, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
If you could run either one from a source to dac, which and why?
Not interested in mega buck interconnects so this will be with inexpensive off the shelf type.

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: USB Vs Coaxial
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
If the DAC uses an asynchronous USB interface that one would be my choice. 

The DAC then controls all data timing with its low noise clocks.  Much lower jitter than S/PDIF coaxial interface.  Much higher jitter rejection from the computer side.  If the DAC is powered, then no problem with noise from the computer USB supply.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:03 AM »
^+1

Of course, there are crappy cheap DACs with asynch USB, in which case a good DAC with coax input can sound superior as long as the jitter is controlled with a reclocker gadget between the source and the DAC.

iFi iPurifier (original version is SPDIF, 60pS jitter - $110) 
Empirical Synchro-Mesh (20pS jitter - $600)

There are also USB decrapifiers (see other thread) to further clean up the USB signal, even for async USB DACs.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »
If I'm running the coax out of my Arcam MCD, is it not using any jitter or reclock before going to the dac?
Would the Musical Fidelity M1 dac need any help?
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »
Yes. The iFi is killer try it. If you have BNC call Pete at TWL and get a SPDIF with BNC oh my!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.