Author Topic: Active Grounding  (Read 12299 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Active Grounding
« on: April 23, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
  Seems to be a popular new grounding scheme. Any thoughts. Dave can you design one for reasonable money ? Nordost and Synergystic Rearch offer them at big money.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Active Grounding
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 11:48:42 PM »
  Seems to be a popular new grounding scheme. Any thoughts. Dave can you design one for reasonable money ? Nordost and Synergystic Rearch offer them at big money.

charles
I've been working on one for a year.
There are two different approaches to this.  One is the stand alone ground noise sink that attaches to component's grounds via the RCAs and unused XLR connectors.  The other is the device that is connected to AC ground and is an attempt to sink noise to the AC ground at the power entry.  I think the latter is a poor choice.  What we are wanting is to drain ground plane component generated noise from the gear, not AC noise.

I'm a month off on this... Stay tuned.

I'm still trying to fill my Digi II orders.  One of the major components is unavailable nationally until July.  I am waiting for parts from Germany right now.  It sucks to develop a really good product and then have essential components go away... 🤬
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 07:47:08 AM »
   Ah Ha one never sleeps. Cool glad to hear you are on it. As an experiment I am going to try using the unused RCA in preamp and DAC. I would assume not to AC ground.
    Dave is it 12V grounding of circuit ? Not AC ground correct.

charles
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:44:54 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:02:14 AM »
 I experimented putting a Copper ground bar in a box with soil. Attached wires to ground bar and then to unused RCA. HOLY NOISE REDUCTION BATMAN !!!. Moistened Soil then after 24 hours even quieter. Hurry up Dave.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »
I experimented putting a Copper ground bar in a box with soil. Attached wires to ground bar and then to unused RCA. HOLY NOISE REDUCTION BATMAN !!!. Moistened Soil then after 24 hours even quieter. Hurry up Dave.

charles
I have a huge project that is coming to an end next week.  More, then!

Busy, busy, busy me  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 12:05:53 PM »

charles

So... you water your Antenna?  :rofl:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 12:17:02 PM »

charles

Of course don't you ? kidding aside. I was told to keep the ground rod for my electrical system in a moist atmosphere for better grounding. Applied same conditions to my experiment.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 12:21:36 PM »
  Now grounded to AC outlet. Even better.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »

charles

Of course don't you ? kidding aside. I was told to keep the ground rod for my electrical system in a moist atmosphere for better grounding. Applied same conditions to my experiment.

charles
  Hint of the day:  dissolve as much epsom salts as possibe into a gallon or so of water.  Pour it around the ground rod and let it soak in.  Even better, make some holes around the ground rod.  I use a piece of #4 rebar 18" long, but anyting will do to make the holes.  Pour about a pint in and let it soak in.  Repeat daily until the epsom salts water is gone.  Repeat this about once a year.  It greatly enhances the earth ground local conductivity.  Easy and VERY effective at keeping the ground stabilty ongoing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:00:34 PM by P.I. »

Offline Hibernian

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 06:38:02 AM »
Hi folks. Am having a hard time 'seeing' these ground-in-a-box' solutions, any pictures? Am imagining this might be a way to use fake plants to serve as grounding devices and a little room adjustment/decoration too.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 01:21:26 PM »
Several companies make them A bit pricey so the experiment. It reduces noise and gives more info. Sorry no photo not capable of that.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 12:18:04 PM »
 Any progress ??

charles