Author Topic: rebuilding cartridge suspensions  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
rebuilding cartridge suspensions
« on: June 19, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
It’s been my intent to revive my analog system after years of inactivity, but I no longer have much interest in doing it. I’ve owned 4-5 cartridges over the years, but they’ve all been moving magnet. I’ve heard of re tipping, suspension rebuilds, but am not very knowledgeable in these areas. 

I just contacted a cartridge repair expert and asked him some questions, but I didn’t get enough of a detailed response and will contact him again later. I wonder if you guys could chime in and give me your thoughts regarding these two mm cartridges I have. They are:

1) a never used AT-ML150/OCC that is at least 20 years old
2) a damaged Shure Ultra 500 that is also 20+ years old

My first question is on the AT. After all this time, how likely is it that it would play properly for a buyer? If not, would a suspension rebuild be necessary/appropriate? I did an online search including HIFI Shark, but could find only one ad on Canuck Audio Mart. But it was sold and no longer listed a price. So I have no idea what these sell for or if it’s worth it to have work done on it or sell as is. I know Agon has a blue book subscription, but I’ve never signed up for it.

Regarding my Shure Ultra 500, when it was installed years ago...and maybe I’m the one who installed it...one of the mounting screws was too long and it pushed apart the main body from the shell. I haven’t tried to glue it together. The stylus tip was also broken, so I would need to buy a replacement. I’ve priced them, but don’t know where would be best to source that. I’ve found some ads on the Ultra 500, so I have an idea on pricing.

Lastly, can anyone recommend where I could replace a belt for my Basis Ovation table? I’ve never replaced it and the Basis prices are quite high. It’s flat and a 38” circumference iirc.

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: rebuilding cartridge suspensions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:03 PM »
These guys are about as cheap as you'll find, and they carry a big stock.  You should have no trouble finding a belt.  Your old AT cartridge is simply a crap shoot.  Rubber does lose compliance, but not always.  There are fans of that cartridge, so it still has value.   Apparently the Shure Ultra 500 will accept a V15 type V-MR stylus.  These also still have a following. 
As far as pushing a cartridge body apart using the wrong screw- you can super glue it back together, taking care not to get glue in the wrong places.  I've done it.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
These guys are about as cheap as you'll find, and they carry a big stock.  You should have no trouble finding a belt.  Your old AT cartridge is simply a crap shoot.  Rubber does lose compliance, but not always.  There are fans of that cartridge, so it still has value.   Apparently the Shure Ultra 500 will accept a V15 type V-MR stylus.  These also still have a following. 
As far as pushing a cartridge body apart using the wrong screw- you can super glue it back together, taking care not to get glue in the wrong places.  I've done it.

OK, Scott, thx. Yes, I can scrape off the old glue and fix it. Seems like selling as is might be the way to go. One of the members here had expressed an interest in the Ultra 500.
Selling that 70 lb Basis will be a pain as I won’t ship it.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 10:03:04 PM »

OK, Scott, thx. Yes, I can scrape off the old glue and fix it. Seems like selling as is might be the way to go. One of the members here had expressed an interest in the Ultra 500.
Selling that 70 lb Basis will be a pain as I won’t ship it.

Scott, the link didn’t post.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 10:18:47 PM »
Nick

If the AT has always been in a climate controlled environment then it is fine.  I have old stock cartridge bodies and styli from Grado, Shure, Stanton, Pickering, Empire and others that are older than your AT and they are all fine.  As to the Shure Ultra the body has value on places like AudioKarma and the only styli available of note are from JICO in Japan and not cheap. For the belt for the Basis check Turntableneedles.com and see if he stocks them.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »
Nick

If the AT has always been in a climate controlled environment then it is fine.  I have old stock cartridge bodies and styli from Grado, Shure, Stanton, Pickering, Empire and others that are older than your AT and they are all fine.  As to the Shure Ultra the body has value on places like AudioKarma and the only styli available of note are from JICO in Japan and not cheap. For the belt for the Basis check Turntableneedles.com and see if he stocks them.

Jack,
Yes, the AT and Shure as well have always been stored inside, not the garage. Will check out the sites you listed.
My digital system is sounding better all the time, so it makes it much easier to part with vinyl....
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
For the belt, you also need to get the correct thickness and width.

If you are sure about the 39 inches, then there are a few at top of this list that probably qualify.  I have purchased belts from this site and in my experience they are about as cheap as you will find.

http://turntablebasics.com/beltmodels.html#flat

To insure buying the right one, it's a good idea to measure the original belt as instructed here:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/How_to_measure_find_right_turntable_tape_player_rubber_drive_belt

http://www.turntablebelts.com/TTbelts.htm

Use a calipher to measure width and thickness.

You pay quite a bit more here but guaranteed to get the correct one:

https://lptunes.com/collections/basis-turntable-belts

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:07:57 AM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »

Scott, the link didn’t post.
Oops.  Toobluvr posted it.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 12:47:38 PM »
For the belt, you also need to get the correct thickness and width.

If you are sure about the 39 inches, then there are a few at top of this list that probably qualify.  I have purchased belts from this site and in my experience they are about as cheap as you will find.

http://turntablebasics.com/beltmodels.html#flat

To insure buying the right one, it's a good idea to measure the original belt as instructed here:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/How_to_measure_find_right_turntable_tape_player_rubber_drive_belt

http://www.turntablebelts.com/TTbelts.htm

Use a calipher to measure width and thickness.

You pay quite a bit more here but guaranteed to get the correct one:

https://lptunes.com/collections/basis-turntable-belts

Very helpful websites. It took me a little while to get back to thinking metric...mm’s and cm’s 🤔 but all is well. The lp tunes site has nice pricing for the Ovation belt at $30. As to stylus replacement on the Shure, it’s a bit pricey.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 06:07:55 AM »
That's almost 3X the Turntable Basics price.  Impossible to know if they are identical or "perform" equally well.

For the cartridge I'd either:

(1)  buy a worn stylus / busted cantilever "retip candidate" on the used markets (typically about $200) and send it off to Soundsmith for a $300 re-tip.   Total cost will be about $500.

or, (2)  buy a low hours / good condition used cart from a trusted seller.

I have employed both options several times and have always been happy.   Option (1) is less risky as you effectively get a new cartridge.
It will also be cheaper if the cartridge MSRP climbs over $850 (I'm assuming 60% price for a VGC used one).

I have no idea of the condition or worth of your current carts, but worst case maybe sell them cheap as-is (or as retip candidates) to help cover the cost?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:19:50 AM by toobluvr »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
That's almost 3X the Turntable Basics price.  Impossible to know if they are identical or "perform" equally well.

For the cartridge I'd either:

(1)  buy a worn stylus / busted cantilever "retip candidate" on the used markets (typically about $200) and send it off to Soundsmith for a $300 re-tip.   Total cost will be about $500.

or, (2)  buy a low hours / good condition used cart from a trusted seller.

I have employed both options several times and have always been happy.   Option (1) is less risky as you effectively get a new cartridge.
It will also be cheaper if the cartridge MSRP climbs over $850 (I'm assuming 60% price for a VGC used one).

I have no idea of the condition or worth of your current carts, but worst case maybe sell them cheap as-is (or as retip candidates) to help cover the cost?

I’m ok paying a bit more for the belt. The difficult part is trying to figure out the belt thickness as I don’t have calipers. I was originally contemplating having the cartridge  work done primarily to get a bit more money when I sell. I did more searches regarding value using Google this time and found a lot more information.

Both cartridges have been stored in optimal conditions. The replacement stylus cost for the Shure varies from $150 - $250, which seems reasonable based on all the glowing comments I’ve read.

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 09:15:03 AM »
Since you are selling the whole package , I wouldn't fret over getting the carts 100% fixed.  IMO just not worth the time / effort / expense.  Yes you may get more with a perfect cart, but will your higher sell price cover repair costs?  I think we are talking small differences.  Not worth agonizing over.  Plus, the buyer may not desire that cart and he will put small value on it, making it hard for you to recover your repair costs.

I would just offer them as part of the package -- "as-is" with complete honesty in your ad description.  Or alternatively,  sell it without carts and sell the carts separately as re-tip candidates.  Maybe offer both options in your ad.  Adjust your prices accordingly.  Gives flexibility to buyer.

I really don't think absent or questionable condition carts will negatively impact the "saleabilty"  (is that a word?)  of your  table / arm setup.  At least it wouldn't for me.  The main selling point is the table / arm, not the carts.  Let the buyer do whatever he wants on the cartridge end.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:28:33 AM by toobluvr »

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
PS:  Bring your original belt to Home Depot and measure it with a caliper.    :thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
PS:  Bring your original belt to Home Depot and measure it with a caliper.    :thumb:

Ah, good idea :)
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS