Author Topic: Single driver full range speakers  (Read 45357 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Single driver full range speakers
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
I've been bugging Scott Faller about trying a pair of the Hemps in a couple of his Lowther cabs.  He's been trying to get a pair for a potential review but not having much luck so far.

Oh, BTW, I did get in touch with Bent.  He answered and cc'd a guy who is supposed to be carrying the FAL in the U.S.  Haven't heard anything from him yet but he is supposed to be contacting me with info.

Bryan
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:27:47 AM by bpape »
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »
The reason I asked if anyone had heard the Brentworth speakers, is that years ago there was quite a controversy about them after a negative review in Listener magazine by (I think) the infamous Art Dudley.

He apparently reviewed the lll's in a 10 X12 X 8 room. :shock: Now, who in the hell would put a speaker that (supposedly) can reach 20hz in a small room like that and expect good sound? Sheesh.

I've never heard them, so they may not sound very good. But they DO come highly recommended from some camps. Mostly the folks who like highly transparent, less 'euphonic' sound, it seems.

WEEZ

btw; I've only heard a handful of single driver speakers. IMO, they are probably the most difficult to get 'right'. But when they're 'right'; they're pretty special. When they're not 'right', they are generally dreadful.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »
"Listening before paying" is rule #1 in this hobby. Interesting your comments about the less euphonic taste preference among Brethworth fans. 

Reading their wbesite last night made me wonder "what's group delay?" Good explanation of phase problems, but they never explain group delay, unless it is the same thing? I have heard the term before.
Thanks
Rich

WEEZ

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »
Rich, I think they are two terms that mean the same thing.

WEEZ

jrebman

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »

btw; I've only heard a handful of single driver speakers. IMO, they are probably the most difficult to gget 'right'. But when they're 'right'; they're pretty special. When they're not 'right', they are generally dreadful.

<sound of hammer hitting nail on head>

That's about the most concise statement about SD speakers I've ever read.

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 05:56:45 PM »
Found this post on Asylum tonight about Japanese speaker exotica, including FAL, Feastrex, Eltus, Maxonic and others.  It is informative and some parts are funny.

If you're REALLY into it, the author of above has many posts about high efficiency japanese speakers. This is search results for his name and feastrex. This may take a while to read....    :rofl:

There is a Feastrex dealer in Charlotte, NC! He should be getting a pair of D5nf soon (drivers? speakers?) Importer is also bringing field coil model to RMAF. This is getting interesting! They need 25W "music power" Just about right for Altmann BYOB, I think...    8)

Still no word from the folks at Brentworth. The Brentworth Type One is still on EBay :(  Poor little speaker, nobody wants it...
Rich

jrebman

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 06:22:46 PM »
Now I'm even more interested in finding out more about the FAL drivers.  No word on these yet?  Even a ballpark price?

Mr. Asayama sounds like Mr. Asa-hola :D.

Next time I'm in Japan, I'll be sure to miss Sound Mates.  BTW, never been, and never plan to go at this point.

-- Jim

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 06:32:29 PM »
IIRC, the initial price for drivers was $3k - raw drivers.  The Canadian distributor was selling for considerably less.  I'm still waiting for contact info from the supposed new US dealer.

The price for the finished products - I think it's one of those if you have to ask, you can't afford them things.  I don't know about the single driver ones, but the others - $25k and $35k seem to come to mind.  I could be way off so take this with a grain of salt as something coming out of the cobwebs in the back of my head....

I'm primarily interested in raw drivers to play with.  Would love to do a 7" SS Rev woofer in a TL with the FAL driver up top.

Group buy????

Bryan
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:38:40 PM by bpape »

jrebman

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
Ok, guess that pretty much puts me out of the running.  Maybe I'll drop Bob Brines a note to see if the Hemp Acoustics 6.5 driver would work in the FT-1600 Mk. II cabinets.

Still closely watching what Roger Modjeski is doing with those little SD speakers (maybe with Omega's new sub?)  Just considering options for my little office system, which is still a way off yet, and I hope to be able to do the whole thing for $2.5k or less (already have the SB and Denon 2910 for sources.)

-- Jim

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »
Don't quote me on the prices - as I said, that's purely fuzzy out of memory stuff.  I can't verify at this time until the new distributor calls.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
FAL drivers cost 200,000 yen, or $1725 each. Compare to Feastrex D5nf  US price is currently $1200 each. The FAL price is secondhand rumor from a retailer in Japan, from back before May. But at least a ballpark figure in Japan, before shipping here.

WEEZ

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
BTW, for you all that use high sensitivity speakers, you might want to have a look at these 8w integrated amps:

www.wrightaudio.us

WEEZ

miklorsmith

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »
Have you heard 'em?

WEEZ

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
Nope. Just thought they looked very well made, and priced reasonable.

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
I got my 'literature' from the US distributor of FAL.

He's not going to carry just raw drivers - only the finished products.  The only one he gave me a price for was the big pair and they're just shy of $17k / pair

Bryan