Author Topic: If you had to start all over again . . .  (Read 12603 times)

Double Ugly

If you had to start all over again . . .
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »
My speakers (anything in the MRS line from SP Technology) followed closely by (believe it or not) my interconnects (Stealth Audio Cables Indra).

Actually I'm pretty happy w/ my amps, too (Butler Audio Monad monoblocks), so maybe I'll just stick w/ what I have.   :D

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
If I had to do it all over again....

First, I would keep my Final Laboratories Music preamp and amp set.

Then, I would get myself a more massive record player....perhaps one of these massive European turntable or anchor set ups.

Then, I would get some sort of super hi efficiency set up a la Oris Horn+ some sort of active subwoofer devices

OR

The Winged Voigt pipe with a Lowther as described in the Lowther-America site, a creation of TWL and another Audiophile.

For digital, I would keep my 47 Labs Shigaraki set.

For the PC audio part, keep my Mac Mini with the Headroom Micro DAC USB.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
I'd keep my speakers (DIY speakers using all Dayton Audio drivers ) and add a big 2 channel amp to power them.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 04:58:39 PM »
I think I would have first run dedicated AC lines. The next step would have been to build my system.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 10:52:33 PM »
Quote from: "Black Sand Cable"
Quote from: "mca"
As for everything else, nothing!

John,

Out of curiosity, what is your system composed of?

PS - I'm hooked on Gears of War, too  :D

I have a do it all system that acts as my HT system and also my main system for music.

At the moment it looks like this:

Arcam AVR 350
Parasound HCA-1500A (2)
Eastern Electric Vacuum Tube BBA
Denon DVD-3930ci
X-Box 360 with HD-DVD

Monitor Audio GS60
Monitor Audio GSLCR
Monitor Audio GS20 (Surrounds)
Subwoofer - HSU VTF-3 MK 2
Velodyne SMS-1

Panamax 5500EX  

All interconnects where needed are Grover’s (UR8), all speaker cables are my own design and of course the power cords are once again my own!

It will be changing a little within the next few weeks as I will be trying out a set of Al's HT8's and the matching HT2C center channel. (RAW Acoustics)

My system to most folks is not what some would call “Audiophile” quality but a lot of time has been spent matching it together and it will give most systems a good run….even on the 2 channel side.

Like I said, that is my system today. A month from now it might look completely different as I like to try out new things.

Boy oh boy do I have it bad! The post above is less than 3 months old and roughly 85% of the system I listed is now gone. I'm currently in the process of putting something totally different together.

I need help..... :D

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 06:43:18 AM »
Invent new Cables (Statement One) > Sell more cables > Make more money > Spend more money > Get new equipment! > Repeat

I don't see how that is a problem!!    :D

Did you like the AVR350 enough to keep it?  :wink:
Thanks
Rich

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
Invent new Cables (Statement One) > Sell more cables > Make more money > Spend more money > Get new equipment! > Repeat

I don't see how that is a problem!!    :D

Did you like the AVR350 enough to keep it?  :wink:
Thanks
Rich

Rich,

I just like to try out new stuff! I always have and I think I always will. If I had money to burn, I would just be trying out more expensive stuff!  :D

As for the Arcam, hands down the best receiver I have owned and it also trumped a few separates that I have owned.....I just got bored and now I'm going to take my time and put together a really good dual purpose system that does HT well and also two channel.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 10:50:58 AM »
Quote from: "Black Sand Cable"
I just like to try out new stuff! I always have and I think I always will. If I had money to burn, I would just be trying out more expensive stuff!  :D
Me too!  :D  
Thanks for your take on the Arcam, I think there's one in my future.
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: If you had to start all over again . . .
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 09:09:55 AM »
For me it's my speakers, Pipedreams and my sources. A Linn LP12 with all the upgrades and a Lector CDP 7tl. One pair of Harmonix Golden ratio IC's from CDP to linestage.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 02:47:55 AM »
Hi Guys,

I personally think that speakers are the most important component in a system and therefore I'd say my nuforce s9's would get the nod over my ps audio hca - 2 or 'son of ampzilla'

Regards

Rod

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »
It's a tough call!  I have Monitor Audio GR20's, with GR10's & a GR Center for movies & MC music, and while I realize they're not the be-all-end-all, I'd be tempted to keep them if I had to build a new rig right now.  Someday I'd like to try some Salks but I'm "homeless" at the moment. :rofl:  Until I decide where I'm going to live (Sioux Falls or Minneapolis- in the middle of the job interview process) it wouldn't make sense to change much. 

Another candidate would be my Butler TDB-3150.  I love this amp!  I've considered selling it lately, just to raise cash temporarily (and because the Butler has been in storage for 3 months- I can't really use it whilst staying with my sister), but I'm dissauded by the certain knowledge that I'd have to buy it again, probably for more than this one cost me.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 11:10:12 AM »
Rob,
          Don't do it man. You will pay more.

rollo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:10:18 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Bigfish8

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »
Wow, what a question:  If you had to start all over again???

I joined this "hobby" in March of this year and did not know jack-all about high-end 2 channel audio.  Still don't profess to know much but am investing the time, effort and unfortunately the hardest part, the money, to learn!  If I were to start over, I would run away as fast as I could.  No, probably wouldn't but I have a hard time explaining how frustrating it is to start-out in this hobby with no knowledge.  You don't really know what you want and you don't know where to turn for solid advice.  If you go to the Big Box Stores they don't know crap about 2 channel systems.  If you go to one of the high-end stores you don't really feel comfortable (I didn't anyway) because the prices are spooky if you have had no exposure to quality gear.

So, getting back to the topic I believe it would be beneficial for the experienced Audiophiles to create an advice topic addressed specifically to green newbies (as I was) on how to best approach this hobby.  I think starting out it is very easy to get it wrong and difficult to end-up truly happy with the first high-end system.  I have had a lot of help from the members here and at AC and I still have some mods to make.

I think the answer to the question: If I could start over and know what I know now?  Hell, I don't know the answer.  There is so much gear out there!

Ken

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:47:46 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »
I started in this insane hobby back in the mid 70s and have enjoyed every minute of it since then.   If I had to start over, the fun would be starting over with all new gear just to go thru the discovery phases again.

Right now my oldest/most beloved gear are my Aerial 10T speakers but oldest usually just means its the next candidate for replacing.   My favorite gear right now is probably my Aberdeen modded Tact 2.0s preamp (previously Carlman's) -- it sounds awesome and it'll take another year or two before I come close to mastering it's potential.   No wait, my favorite is my Kuzma turntable and ZYX cartridge... no wait, it's really my EE Minimax phono preamp... no wait... it's the Squeezebox, I swear... no wait...

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 03:27:20 PM »
Mike,
I hope one day you'll host a meeting... sounds like things are really coming together.  I got to hear the Lyngdorf version of the TacT gear this weekend... very nice and reminded me of that perfect sound... I told them they should get it modified by Anthony... haha...
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.