Author Topic: If you had to start all over again . . .  (Read 12600 times)

miklorsmith

If you had to start all over again . . .
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:25:59 AM »
If you were only allowed to keep one piece in your system, what would it be?  This is related to the Amp/Speaker question.  I think most of us have an identified weak point and probably a favorite piece too.

What's your centerpiece and why?

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »
Amps...they don't make them anymore and as a special order are outragously expensive!!!

I have redone my system a few times and LOVE the Dodd pre and the Kraft 400's (amps).

My speakers are Salk HT3's with most all the upgrdes...they are very very nice, esp. for the money.  I could be very happy with them or replacing them with Ridge Street Audio Sason's.

I really like my Empirical modded Offramp/I2s DAC combo, but would probably be equally happy with a Bolder modded SB2/3.

I would probably replace my Ridge Street speaker cables with Gregg Straley.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »
My speakers for sure.  They are out of production, and I'm not sure the replacement model could possibly sound as good.  And it definitely don't LOOK as good.  

Then I'd have to spend another two years looking for the amps to make them sing.    :(

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »
Hi,

My n.e.w. p3 preamp (modified) has been a constant in my system for 7 years.  I had the modwright beta preamp in my system and it was a little better in the bass.

Regards

Rod

chadh

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
In any conceivable world in which I might live (i.e. one in which I'm not overwhelmingly wealthy), the one piece I'd keep in my system is the Bolder modified squeezebox 2.  I find the arrangement overwhelmingly convenient, and will never go back to using CDs if I can help it.  And while there are other server arrangements availble, as far as I can tell they are all  (reportedly) inferior, less convenient or much more expensive.

The strange thing is that I have far less emotional attachment to the SB2 that any other part of my system.  It's strange to think about why I have this emotional attachment.  It's clearly not an issue of performance. I'm pretty sure that the gear I have now performs well.  But I just don't have enough audiophile experience to believe that the gear I have is exactly right for me.

But the gear I own means something to me, because it's all been such an early part of an exciting experience for me.  I owned NAD entry level gear for years, but always knew I wanted more.  And then I bought myfirst "audiophile" type gear.  Of that first system, everything has now been sold except for the amplification.  So now I have my second system.  But it's the first system that has been built with any kind of philosophy or strategy behind it.  My pre-amp is the first piece of tubed gear I've owned, and it's exciting to me.  The speakers are the first single-driver speakers I've owned, and they're exciting to me.  And my CIA chip-amp monoblocks were the first real amplifiers I bought, and have been the basis for what I've built now.  

One day I imagine I'll move on from what I have now.  I'll keep the SB2. But when I get rid of the other stuff, I'll feel like I've betrayed a bunch of friends.

Chad

MikE

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »
My SET amp. While my amp/speaker interface is flawed the two pieces harbor characteristics I admire but would be a better marriage if the speakers were more efficient. Still, they've provided a long-term partnership that has provided a lot of pleasure inspite of the power issues. I'm sure there is a better speaker out there, I just haven't found it and frankly have given up an actively pursuit. Should I stumble upon it down the road that would be interesting but I've given up the search.

Why the amp? I've always been fond of tube amps [understanding they all  sound different] and really fell for the sound of the 45 output tube. I've heard a few 45 amps and liked them all. I've swapped in other amps with my speakers and was never as happy as when the SET was in the system. Even with $500 speakers I can still "hear" the amp's signature.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 06:24:57 AM »
I wouldn't do it all over again.  There is only 1 piece I would consider replacing because I'd like a function it does not have.  (My preamp is all digital and I would like an analog phonostage)

Otherwise, the amp, speakers, and most of the cables would stay.  It's taken me a LONG time and a LOT of money to get here and I'm staying put! :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

Re: If you had to start all over again . . .
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
If you were only allowed to keep one piece in your system, what would it be?  This is related to the Amp/Speaker question.  I think most of us have an identified weak point and probably a favorite piece too.

What's your centerpiece and why?

My XBox 360......I'm hooked on Gears Of War!  :D and to think I bought the system for my kids.

As for everything else, nothing! I like trying out new things and as a result my "Must Keep" list doesn't exist. Now if you were to ask me what have I sold off that I regret? That would be a long list.  :(

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »
As for everything else, nothing!

John,

Out of curiosity, what is your system composed of?

PS - I'm hooked on Gears of War, too  :D
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:30:03 AM »
Quote from: "mca"
As for everything else, nothing!

John,

Out of curiosity, what is your system composed of?

PS - I'm hooked on Gears of War, too  :D

I have a do it all system that acts as my HT system and also my main system for music.

At the moment it looks like this:

Arcam AVR 350
Parasound HCA-1500A (2)
Eastern Electric Vacuum Tube BBA
Denon DVD-3930ci
X-Box 360 with HD-DVD

Monitor Audio GS60
Monitor Audio GSLCR
Monitor Audio GS20 (Surrounds)
Subwoofer - HSU VTF-3 MK 2
Velodyne SMS-1

Panamax 5500EX  

All interconnects where needed are Grover’s (UR8), all speaker cables are my own design and of course the power cords are once again my own!

It will be changing a little within the next few weeks as I will be trying out a set of Al's HT8's and the matching HT2C center channel. (RAW Acoustics)

My system to most folks is not what some would call “Audiophile” quality but a lot of time has been spent matching it together and it will give most systems a good run….even on the 2 channel side.

Like I said, that is my system today. A month from now it might look completely different as I like to try out new things.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »
X-Box 360 with HD-DVD

Not to get too far off topic, but how do you like the HD-DVD add on for the 360? Is it a big enough step up from regular DVD's that it's worth the money?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
Quote from: "mca"
X-Box 360 with HD-DVD

Not to get too far off topic, but how do you like the HD-DVD add on for the 360? Is it a big enough step up from regular DVD's that it's worth the money?

For the $200.00 Canadian it cost me, it was money well spent. It's not the Denon but it's a very decent player.

shep

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
My speakers. I bought them against reasoned advice. They turned out to be much better than even their maker promised. Best purchase I ever made in hi-fi. They completely revitalized my hi-fi education, expectation and I get a kick every time I let them "speak". The only drawback is of course that they  keep pointing their blue fingers at the rest of the chain and being ruthless about source material. T'was ever thus...

WEEZ

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
I've thought about this topic for quite a while. My system plays so nicely, now, I just have no real desire to make any changes.

BUT... :lol: IF I had to start over..I'd probably commision custom designed equipment. (or maybe not [-X )

WEEZ!

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »
Hmmm .... heck, if you are starting over, why not jettison everything?

If pressed, it would probably be my Koetsu cartridge, although it would be hard to better my speakers for anything remotely close to what I paid for them.