Author Topic: Why??  (Read 4033 times)

ebag4

Why??
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »
Why do speakers and other equipment always seem to sound their best just before you box them up due to sale or trade? :?

I know I have found this to be true more than once with various equipment, for me speakers seem to do this more times than not.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Why??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
Maybe because you're not really listening critically but just sitting back enjoying the music?   :duh

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
Or, you're hearing the sweet sounds of seller's remorse.  Our Nervosa claims many victims and only at the last minute do we realize our folly.

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:06:32 PM »
Or, you're hearing the sweet sounds of seller's remorse.  Our Nervosa claims many victims and only at the last minute do we realize our folly.

I am still in the process of purchasing gear to complete my system.  As such I have not had to make the decision to part with anything yet.  When that day comes I hope to be darn sure I am ready to part with an item before I place an add in Audiogon.  I have sold other things and have later wished I had not done so and I believe you could easily make yourself a victim in this hobby! 

Ken

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
This may be stating the obvious but a lot of remorse can be avoided by requiring any new piece of gear to outperform what it is supposed to replace.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »
If your feeling that way. Don't sell. You will regret it latter. I'm with Scotty. If you can afford to buy the new piece and keep the piece you wish to sell you will have ample time to make the right choice. In fact most of the times the picece your looking to replace isn't the one you SHOULD be selling. Oye!

rollo   
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 04:22:01 AM »
How timely.  I just cobbled together a minimum system this past weekend so I could audition the Adagios for a couple potential buyers, and damn if they didn't sound good.  That said, the guy who most likely wants to buy them lives about 50 yards from me, so I'll still be able to go and listen to them when I want.

That said, I'm actually still very happy with my Sapphire XLs and Force sub purchase, and can't wait to get them going.

-- Jim

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »
Thanks for all of the replys guys. 

If your feeling that way. Don't sell. You will regret it latter.

No worries here, I am not truly struggling with the decision, it was more of a humerous observation.  If I ever felt like what went out was the best I could do then I could replace them.  My nervosa has me going through quite a few speakers, since I typically DIY speakers then I am able to try many different things to see what fits best.  If I didn't believe the direction I was moving was an improvement then I wouldn't be going there.

It just struck me as funny while I was preparing to box up some drivers, I sat down to listen and shook my head at how good they were sounding. It's all great fun!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:42:45 AM by ebag4 »