Author Topic: Line Polarity  (Read 3373 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Line Polarity
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:11:35 AM »
Are your components connected with the correct polarity to the power source? To find out get a multimeter and measure the ground potential. Simply set the meter to AC voltage and attach the black probe to ground and the red to the outter part of an RCA and read the meter. It should read 0 if in the proper polarity. Install a cheater plug and reverse the plug. Remeasure and go with the lowest reading if 0 is not possible. The component should not be connected to others when doing this. Your gonna be surprised when all is done.

rollo

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Line Polarity
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:28:09 AM »
rollo please clarify the procedure for dumdumhead over here - OK, you measure AC voltage between the ground pin of the AC power cord and the signal ground from an input/output jack? With wires connected or without? Plugged into wall or not?

I have some wicked hum on radio that I am killing with transformer, but it would be cool to track it down. I tried measuring it with DC but it always read 0. Never tried measuring AC even though it was 60Hz, shoulda thought of that...
Thanks!!!
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 08:10:20 AM »
Richadoo,
              Yes you plug in component and turn it on. ICs and speaker cables should be disconnected [ a good time to clean connecters ]. One probe [ black ] goes to earth ground the other [ red ] to the outter part of RCA of the component. Read meter. Then reverse plug [ use cheater ] and remeasure. The lowest reading is correct. Do this with each component.  Have fun. Its tedious but worth the effort.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »
OK, that sounds easy enough. Do I just pull the plug out of the wall slightly to gain access to ground pin?

I assume I can test the component using any recepticle, or must it be testing using the outlet in which I will plug it for regular use? That one is difficult to access with a probe. I have an outlet polarity test device and have confirmed correct polarity of every outlet in the house.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 05:12:15 PM »
Richadoo,
              The screw of the wall plate is grounded. No need to use ground pin hole in outlet. Attach meter probe to screw. I use a wire connecter with an eyelet. I remove screw to wall plate and install connecter to screw and screw in. Are we clear.

rollo

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
Yes, that is smart. Then the ground can be extended to comfortable workspace.
Thanks rollo, this will fun to try.