Author Topic: Need a recommendation for a mid-fi receiver  (Read 10157 times)

jrebman

Need a recommendation for a mid-fi receiver
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »
Sometime between going to bed last night and mid morning today I made a deal and with myself and my wife about the thing I will just call "the audio thing" in our house.  Actually it is good news.  I decided a couple of things:

1.) I have too many unfinished, and sort-of half done audio projects

2.) I have finally decided that my office is just too damned small and cramped for what one would normally be called a "system" in the sense of the word I think most of us are used to using.

3.) Given that we don't watch TV -- only movies -- and that typically we would do that in our bedroom and not the living room, and also given that I would *love* to have that extra space on the rack in the main system that the TV would occupy, and also not have it acting as an acoustic abberation, we came up with the following:

I'm going to take my baby Mapleshade rack up to the bedroom, along with my stock 2910 and the Ferrari Red Onix X-LS speakers I just scored on AC, and get some sort of decent, but not too expensive reciever that can pull it all together -- multiplayer, amplification, FM tuner, possibly a lightly modded or stock SB down the road, and have a headphone output for private listening/.

So, this is where my An friends enter the picture -- I need a decent, not too expensive receiver that can do all this *and* be mostly usable by a person who can't see  or use fancy menus, LCD displays, etc.  Obviously, there is never going to be a piece of gear in this category which doesn't use  at least an LCD display, but basically... the more tactile buttons the better.

The first name that came to mind was Outlaw, and since my neighbor has an Outlaw receiver (approx. $600 purchase price), I went to check it out.  No go.  Way too complicated, uses a menu system with a continuous jog wheel and LCD display.

Is there perhaps a less expensive model, or another brand that might have more of a button oriented user interface.  Don't need tons of power -- probly 15-30 watts, don't need multichannel or anything like that.  Just tuner, amplifiers, inputs for multiplayer and another component, and a headphone output.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

The rest of the story will unfold, but my office system will evolve into a system that can do double duty for decent listening and audio editing/mixing/mastering, and will have my, soon to be builtm, Mapleshade headamp for serious chilling in the man-cave.

Oh, and lots of redundant and unfinished stuff will be moving out (that's part of the agreement with my wife), so stay tuned to the classifieds this coming week.

This is actually going to be very cool in the long run, and may at least be a right turn on the road to nirvana.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Need a recommendation for a mid-fi receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:01:12 PM »
Generally NAD gear is pretty no-nonsense and doesn't have the clutter of others.  Plus, the remotes have good button layouts generally.  Here's there site: http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers

I thought the last 2 on that page might work but they don't have the headphone jack.... Maybe the dvd-player could handle that?

Hope that helps...

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

opnly bafld

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »
The NAD 2 channel receiver has a headphone output.
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers

Lin :)

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »
Linn,

Didn't know you hung out around these parts.

Thanks for that -- I just took a look and it could be just what I'm looking for.  A bit more power than I need, but is there such a thing as too much :D.

Will you be at RMAF this year?

-- Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:44:00 AM »
Somehow I thought Jim was looking for an HT receiver... doh!  The 2-channel thing makes it even easier.
If you want something cheaper, the Onkyo TX-8522 or 8222 have button-oriented faceplates.  They're both fairly similar, in the low $200 range... the 8522 has more power.  I own one but haven't heard it yet.  It's for a bedroom system that I haven't moved into yet. :)

The NAD would clearly be a better receiver to me but likely a lot more money... didn't know your budget.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:11:19 AM »
  Rotel, Cambridge and NAD come to mind off the bat. With Dennon and Onyko right behind. If you want to get crazy Arcam.
   You can never have too much power. The ease of the music with effortless dynamics is the result. Since you will be running SS there is NO noise issue. IMO go for the most power that suits your budget. Think used, you may be able to nail down a good one as the resale of such is a buyers market. Good luck, IMO you cannot go wrong with any of the suggested units.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 06:22:55 AM »
Again, thanks all.  Great suggestions.  Maybe I'll start trolling the agon waters for some used gear in this class.  Come to think of it the local Craig's list usually has a lot of this stuff too, but I'm a little wary of buying used mass market gear.

Do these kinds of things usually tolerate stacking one piece on top of another fairly well, given decent isolation?  What this will come down to is whether or not I have to buy another shelf for my rack from Mapleshade -- not exactly cheap.

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
Mass market gear is designed for masses and lawsuit resistance. Stacking is no problem. Just try not to spill water inside it. haha

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 06:56:33 AM »
Mass market gear is designed for masses and lawsuit resistance. Stacking is no problem. Just try not to spill water inside it. haha

Stack away Buckaroo, no problem for Movies. If it were music based only then I would say separate.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jrebman

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 07:12:32 AM »
Come to think of it, I know AV123 has some new goodies in the pipeline so I may just wait to see what those are going to be.

-- Jim

opnly bafld

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:31:17 PM »
Linn,

Didn't know you hung out around these parts.

Thanks for that -- I just took a look and it could be just what I'm looking for.  A bit more power than I need, but is there such a thing as too much :D.

Will you be at RMAF this year?

-- Jim

Hey Jim,
I spend way too much time reading AC -AN -Decware -Hawthorne and I look at diyaudio once in a while.
Just don't post much anywhere since the OB craze slowed down on AC.

I have a room reserved and a 3 day pass for RMAF. 8)
Started a new job in July and I am trying to work a little extra to earn comp-time so I can go.

Hope to see ya there,
Lin :)

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
Try to listen to a Marantz SR-4021. Lists for $450.

WEEZ

opnly bafld

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 03:26:26 PM »
Sherwood Newcastle is another option:
http://sherwoodusa.com/prod_rx770.html

Lin

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »
Jim....

..the Ferrari Red Onix X-LS speakers I just scored on AC..

Nice score....let us know what you think of them....thanks... 8)

Chris

jrebman

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 05:35:50 AM »
Chris,

Sure will.

Ok, I've done a lot of poking around and looked at all kinds of things from all the companies mentioned above, and despite some pretty nice gear from Sherwood and Marantz, they are probably a bitt too pricey for my application.  Sorry for not mentioning a price range -- perhaps I didn't have one because I didn't really know what to expect.  Anyway, right now the Onkyo TX's are looking like the most likely candidate, but I'll continue to look, and may revisit some of the other suggestions as well.

One question I have -- because I'm completely ignorant about HT and video things -- is that I see the Onkyo and others have HDMI in/out.  I'm guessing this means I could take the HDMI out from the Denon, connect it to the receiver, then take the HDMI out from there to the TV?  Would that be preferred to running the HDMI directly from the Denon to the TV and then running audio interconnects from the Denon to the receiver? 
I like the idea of a sleep timer, and most of these seem to have one.

I also thought I did read that the Onkyos have both a tuning and volume knob -- or maybe just a volume knob?  Anyway, knobs and buttons are good -- touch sensors, jog wheels, LCDs are bad.  I'm shooting for something that is as simple and has as many manual controls as possible (or a remote that's nicely laid out.)

Thanks,

Jim