Author Topic: Our systems  (Read 42680 times)

Mr_bill2

Our systems
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »
Quote from: "mca"
Some nice setups listed here for sure  :D

Mr_bill2:

I'd love to hear a bit about those Eminent Technology LFT-8/A speakers

stereofool:

Ditto on your Newform Research R645's

These are a couple of speaker brands I have always been interested in, but there is not a whole lot of information out there on them!

mca,
Thank you for your kind comments(you too eric the red); it's a system I have worked on for a longtime over many years and I think I might have found "the compromises" that I am willing to living with.  As we all know, no system no matter how much money we dump into it will be prefect, so in my opinion we look for what reaches us on a personal note rather than the unattainable pursuit of "perfection"!

As for the ET8s they are a very special speaker, and you are right, there is not much out there to help you in your purchase(other than the stray dealer - unfortunately far and few between) so it takes a leap of faith to buy them sight unseen or unlistened.  

So if you can't find a pair to listen to, I can recommend you visit Audioaslyum, the "panel speaker" section(and if you can cut through a lot of the BS, you can find a lot of good info and customer experiences that might help you to decide if you might want to pursue these guys).  In my case I can tell you unequivocally, I went from a Dunlavy 4A(no slouch by any means) to the ETs and never regretted the move.  Unfortunately I did have to give up my beloved Wolcott 220W tube mono blocks and buy the Classe monos but I had to, as they gave a better match to the ETs(they need lots of ss watts); but hey in my case the end results were well worth going from tubes to ss(synergy is the key, not price).

Another great move I made was to go from an active pre(also tube at the time) to a passive one...but only if your system can handle the impedance mismatches and voltages necessary to drive the signal.  If so, you would be greatly rewarded.  Hopefully in another section the merits of this can be examined and debated over, to better help some that might be contemplating this type of purchase.

Great systems & comments guys :D and a great site to be apart of!! I look forward to the exchange of ideas here, w/o the crap a lot of other sites go through when egos collide.  :o

Warmest regards to all,
bill2

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Our systems
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »
Quote from: "mca"
Some nice setups listed here for sure  :D

Mr_bill2:

I'd love to hear a bit about those Eminent Technology LFT-8/A speakers

stereofool:

Ditto on your Newform Research R645's

These are a couple of speaker brands I have always been interested in, but there is not a whole lot of information out there on them!

mca,

I had been using Aerial 10T's as my mains, when I ran across the Newform R645's. It turned out that a buddy had just obtained a pair, and I had a chance to listen to them. So, later I had a chance to pick up a used pair...for a good price. Well...I couldn't turn down the chance to audition a pair, and save $$ at the same time  :wink: !

I have really enjoyed the 645's immensely. They are very transparent, provide a deep and wide soundstage (recording dependent...of course), and respond quickly. Compared to my 10T's...they are more open and transparent, the highs are well extended. Now, the bass is not a powerful on the 645's, but since the 45" ribbons carry most of the 'music'...that is a compromise I can live with...especially with a subwoofer that can supplement bass, when needed.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

martyt

Our systems
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 11:13:51 AM »
My System

JM Labs Electra 936 Speakers mounted on Mapleshade triple point brass cones.
Transparent Reference XL SV Speaker cable.
Cary 805 Anniversary Edition Amplifiers w/Sylvania nos tubes.
Cary 98SL F1 preamplifier W/Sylvania nos tubes.
EMM LABS Meiter Transport CDSD mounted on Black Diamond shelf.
EMM LABS Meiter DAC6e.
Aesthetix Rhea Phono Preamp.
Platine Verdier Turntable modified for battery operation, mounted on SRA bases, 4 pound Redpoint weight.
Basis Vector Arm.
Shelter 90X cartridge.
Tara Labs The One interconnects.
Arcisis rack.
Power conditioner built per 10audio.com instructions with oyaide outlets.
PS Audio UPC-200 modified with Oyaide outlets.
DIY Symposium Ultra clone amp platform mounted on Polycrystal amp stand (wood floors braced with 4x4 posts under house).
All components utilize Black Diamond cones and pucks.
Black Sand Violet and Silver Reference and VHAudio Flavor 4 Power cords.

The system is the result of 10 years of changes to finally get a system that conforms to my room and listening tastes. I listen to jazz, classical, and vocals.  :lol:

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Our systems
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »
Transport:               47 Labs Shigaraki
DAC:                       47 Labs Shigaraki DAC
PC based:                Mac Mini 1st Generation with 512 MB ram
DAC for PC: Headroom Micro DAC
Preamp:                  Forte Model 4 with external Power Section (commonly used for Vinyl preamp duties when I use my First Sound Paramount Hot Rod MKII)
Tuner:                     McIntosh MR-78
Amplifier:                Final Laboratories Music 6 battery powered amplifier
Power conditioning:  BPT 2.5 Signature and UPC-200B PS Humbuster
Loudspeaker:           Altec 755E mounted in a JE Labs OB
Subwoofer:              Infinity Intermezzo 2.1 BASH
Cabling:                   different types

ashok

Our systems
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 06:55:31 AM »
Hi everyone,

I hang out on Audio Circle also, but do not post often to avoid foot-in-mouth syndrome. Anyway, here is my modest system:

CD Player: Sony SCD 2000ES
DAC: Diyparadise Monica 2
Tuner: Yamaha CT410II
Preamp: Passive transformer based. Not a TVC, but a fixed 10K:10K transformer, with a 10K ohm PEC pot on the secondary of the transformer. (Like Jack Elliano's PVA). Transformers are made by Magnequest.
Crossover: Marchand XM1 from kit, crossover frequency 100Hz
Main Amplifier: Diytube ST-35
Main Speakers: Omega Loudspeakers TS-1, with a BSC filter.
Tweeters: Cheap Parts Express horn tweeters, passively crossed over from main speakers at around 9kHz.
Subwoofer: AV123 ELT SW-10.
Cabling: Blue Jeans interconnects and speaker cables, Volex power cords.

Best regards,

Ashok

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Our systems
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 07:17:49 AM »
Welcome, Ashok!  Looks like you've spent some serious time into getting a synergistic system together.  Congrats and welcome to AN!  Don't worry about your feet here. ;)

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

opnly bafld

Our systems
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 07:36:57 AM »
Ashok your setup may be "modest", but looking at the list I would say it sounds better than many Hi End :oops: systems that I have heard. :D

Lin

miklorsmith

Our systems
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 07:44:47 AM »
Agreed, it looks like a true labor of love and one that most of us would love.

I hope you choose to leave your inhibitions behind.  The crows will not peck at your eyes here.

ashok

Our systems
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 09:04:25 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind words of welcome. I have been an audio enthusiast for about 4 years now, and am constantly thinking about mods, tweaks, new equipment ... Audio Nervosa is a most apt description of this affliction.

But I think it is now time to settle down and enjoy the music (as soon as I have tried this next amp/preamp/cd player/tweak I have been eyeing).

Ashok

calloway

bipolar system disorders
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
...as one of the new kids on the block this is my current system...like alot of the others ..it is always in a state of flux....

source:  scd-1.with vse 5+ and kern mods
preamp: first sound 'paramount mkII
amp:      goldmund 29-m
speakers:piega c-10 ltds
cables:    i/c x 2 and pc x 5 are jps 'aluminatas'
              speaker cables are prana wire 'cosmos'
power conditioner:..power wing with oyaide outlets
stands: sistrum platforms under all equiptment

WEEZ

Our systems
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 08:46:47 PM »
Welcome, calloway.

(doesn't look like a 'new kid on the block' system to me :) )

WEEZ

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Our systems
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 09:20:24 PM »
Cool, another Piega owner :D
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Our systems
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2007, 02:03:04 AM »
Hi Guys,

I thought i'd chime in with my system details:

Transport:  Pioneer pds 507 (g&d clock and digital output board mods)
Dac: Perpetual Technologies p3a/p1a modwright level 2
Preamp:  N.E.W. P3 Tube preamp
Amplifier:  Ps Audio hca - 2 (modified)/Son of Ampzilla
Speakers:  Zalytron speaker Kit Raven 2/ Phl drivers
Turntable:  Bluenote Piccol phonostage
Phonostage:  Bluenote De medici

Things i don't like about my system:  I need more bass

Regards

Rod

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Re: Our systems
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2007, 03:52:32 AM »
Hi,, ya'll
 Source-- Ah! Njoe w/upsampler/amperex bb's
 PRE--Modwright SWL 9.0
 Amps--Odyssey mono Se's
 Speakers--Tyler Acoustic's 7U's
 Cables--Mit T-2 and Signal Cable PC (currently evaluating BS pc's and Grover IC's)

I might add that the Black Sand PC and the Grover IC's are SWEET(thanks to a forum member for the loan, and the upcoming depletion of my savings account)  :drool:

rosconey

Re: Our systems
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
mains are 3.5 way stand mounts by rick craig-soon to be powered by my new  odyssey extreme se monos-

subwoofer is a vmps large in a custom corner cabinet run in stereo powered by a pair of odyssey extreme monos-

pre is a odyssey candela-

jungson tuna

shengya s10 cdp