Author Topic: New Member JSPIVEY  (Read 3985 times)

Offline jspivey

New Member JSPIVEY
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
Hello all you fine audio lovers!  :rofl:

I'm looking forward to reading and participating in discussions here while also getting to know everyone.

Thanks for having me.  :beer:
Joe
Raven Audio Osprey / Audio Note Soro SE
3A Reference MM de Capo BE > Sklyan Stands
Zu DL103 (Boron/MR) > VPI Traveler > K&K SUT > Tavish Designs Vintage 6SL7 Phono
Allo USBridge / Oppo 103 > Border Patrol SE (SPDIF + USB) DAC

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: New Member JSPIVEY
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
Hi Joe!

Welcome!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
Hello all you fine audio lovers!  :rofl:

I'm looking forward to reading and participating in discussions here while also getting to know everyone.

Thanks for having me.  :beer:
Joe

Hey Joe,
Welcome aboard! How long have you been in audio and what equipment do you have currently?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jspivey

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Nick - I've been enjoying music since as young as I can remember and varying degrees of the audio hobby but more serious the last 6yrs.... and LOVING it. I listed as much of my audio equipment I could in my signature but it's incomplete. I'm in the city of Chicago where we have some good audio stores and some great record shops. I've also attending AXPONA the last few years which is eye-opening...I'm much younger than most attending! I have a lot to learn about this hobby and enjoy exploring it. The coolest thing so far is meeting the nicest, most sincere and passionate people along the way... it's just great!

8)
Zu DL103 (Boron/MR) > VPI Traveler > K&K SUT > Tavish Designs Vintage 6SL7 Phono

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:29 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Nick - I've been enjoying music since as young as I can remember and varying degrees of the audio hobby but more serious the last 6yrs.... and LOVING it. I listed as much of my audio equipment I could in my signature but it's incomplete. I'm in the city of Chicago where we have some good audio stores and some great record shops. I've also attending AXPONA the last few years which is eye-opening...I'm much younger than most attending! I have a lot to learn about this hobby and enjoy exploring it. The coolest thing so far is meeting the nicest, most sincere and passionate people along the way... it's just great!

8)

Thanks for the info, Joe. Very nice equipment. I see we have the Border Patrol SE dac in common 👍
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
Thanks for having US!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
Welcome, Joe!

You've got some nice equipment.

I see that you have the Allo USBridge. Interesting as I've been looking at the Digione as a player/transport.

Paul

Offline jspivey

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »

HIYA Dave!  |:D|

Offline jspivey

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 06:17:06 AM »

Thanks for the info, Joe. Very nice equipment. I see we have the Border Patrol SE dac in common 👍
Nick

I originally bought the SPDIF version and had it connected to my Oppo 103 and loved it. I also use Roon+Tidal so I eventually asked Gary if he'd add the USB connection as well. He said of course, just send it back to me. This was actually around the time of AXPONA here in Chicago, so we agreed to meet up  so he could take my DAC back home with him to complete the addition. Thats when I added the Allo USB streamer via USB. Now I can spin silver disc (via SPDIF) and stream tunes (via USB) with the toss of the switch on the back of the unit! Fabulous.

Offline jspivey

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 06:24:02 AM »
Welcome, Joe!

You've got some nice equipment.

I see that you have the Allo USBridge. Interesting as I've been looking at the Digione as a player/transport.

Paul

I say go for it Paul! Based on my experience with the USBridge, it was well worth the try. I had been using an Apple TV connected to an Oppo which eventually was connected to an external DAC from Border Patrol. The Apple TV was okay because it gave me a Roon Ready endpoint but that was about it... I was't in love with the SQ. The Allo transport/streamer for a small board computer offers a great value and a step in the right direction for SQ.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »

HIYA Dave!  |:D|
Great to have you here!

There are new things coming from this old man after the New Year.  Always thinkin' here. :-k

There are so many peoiple that frequent or occasionally drop by that are great resources.  I have profited mightily here from these relationships and their advice.  I'm sure will, too.

Party on!!!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 07:15:51 PM »

I say go for it Paul! Based on my experience with the USBridge, it was well worth the try. I had been using an Apple TV connected to an Oppo which eventually was connected to an external DAC from Border Patrol. The Apple TV was okay because it gave me a Roon Ready endpoint but that was about it... I was't in love with the SQ. The Allo transport/streamer for a small board computer offers a great value and a step in the right direction for SQ.

Hehe. I was afraid you'd say that. I just watched a Darko review on the Signature (?) version.  With the optional battery power supply, he says it is even better than the Auralic Aries bridge which is something like 5x the price.