Author Topic: Decaware speakers  (Read 3726 times)

shep

Decaware speakers
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
I've asked this before but...I'm getting that itch and wondered who here has experience with Decaware speakers? Input appreciated.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Decaware speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
I've asked this before but...I'm getting that itch and wondered who here has experience with Decaware speakers? Input appreciated.

Sorry Shep, I wish I could help, but I have no first hand experience with any Decaware products.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
It's been a few years, but here goes...

1st gen Radials: the soundstage was a cloud floating above the speakers, decent sound, some wouldn't need a sub

High Def Towers: silly/complicated design, not impressed with the sound

Haven't heard any other current offerings, but in general Decware speakers were quite bass light (something I see in nearly all SET friendly speakers).  I wanted to like Decware (value, made in the American heartland, lots of support), but their amps were too small for my chosen speakers (and I believe deep bass to be foundational to quality sound).  Even at the first Decfest he hosted, he kept turning down the stereo Imperial subs?!?

If you're looking for high efficiency, American made, reasonably priced speakers I'd look into Pi Speakers and Hawthorne Audio.  Both sell kits/drivers.  Hawthorne are open baffle (tiny baffles, that legitimately reach 40 Hz).  The higher end drivers provide much improved resolution.  The smaller ones close the gap between small tweeter/huge woofer, but with loss of deeper bass.  Pi also offers value and are reasonable easy to build.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
I owned the first gen Radials. They were OK at best, they did not make much bass, but I did not expect them to, but they had a color that bothered me.

I sold them quickly(Thank God)

I too was intrigued by the large fan base he has(I did not say fanboys). Never heard the amps, my friend had one and said it was very clean sounding, perhaps a little on the lean side, but I have no idea since I never heard one but I trust his ears.
He did not keep the amp, but he said he would have liked to have tried it with Decware speakers with which they were voiced.

The whole situation reminds me of my hornshoppe horn experience. A lot of undeserved bandwith wasted.

But the hobby is filled with it :rofl:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

opnly bafld

Re: Decware speakers
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
1) I'm not a fan boy, although many times I do wish I could use the term on AC.  :D

2) I live about 70 miles away so I have listened to many of their speakers during several Decfest visits ( http://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011.html ) and on a couple of other occasions.

3) Some I like, some not so much (more of a personal preference thing, type of music I listen too, etc.), some have good bass, some not so much IMO.

Lin

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
  Sorry to go off topic but what about Triangle manufactured in France ??? Or Heco Horn from Germany ?? Guru from Sweden ?? Great stuff.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
I'm just churning over possibilities and gathering ideas. So far having a broadband TL or bass reflex made here semi-diy, seems the cheapest and best way to go.