Author Topic: speakers I would like to hear  (Read 17772 times)

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
Re: speakers I would like to hear
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 02:21:04 AM »
I would love to hear the Eggleston Works Savoy speakers. They just look the part of audio bliss. At 48k they are waaaay out of my dreams. At 800 pounds, the sub flooring may need some reinforcement!
I have the Spendor S8e speakers. Bought them as demos when they were priced in the 3k range. Now they are 4k+. For the money, they are very good. However, I wish I could have heard them with a good 200wpc tube amp, just for fun.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

shep

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:28:13 AM »
I would love to hear Maggies again, especially the 1.6r version, seriously modified.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 05:15:11 AM »
I'd like to hear the Piega C8 Limiteds with a complete cap and resistor upgrade... mmm, that sounds like a great idea! :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:12 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to hearing the latest iteration of the Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary.  A good customer of mine bought a pair from me sound unheard.  He loves his VR-5se models he bought from me but wanted the latest and greatest... I got Albert to wire his new pair with JPS wire... which seems to be a great upgrade according to Albert...

It's all I can do not to pull the trigger and bring in a pair of Unifield 2 large bookshelf speakers to see what they are like... too many speakers... not enough rooms to put them in :)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
Magico M5s and the latest Maggie 20.1. Rockport as well as Vandersteen latest. For a kick the latest Proacs and Totems, they have always made nice music.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »
Thanks rollo, I hadn't heard about the Vandersteen 7. We can expect a gusher of magazine covers and hyperbole.  I have yet to hear one with the bass properly tuned to the room.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »
Thanks rollo, I hadn't heard about the Vandersteen 7. We can expect a gusher of magazine covers and hyperbole.  I have yet to hear one with the bass properly tuned to the room.

So I'm not the only one who feels that way. The rooms are just too small to reproduce the bass correctly. For that money IMO  digital bass correction should be an integral part. However most who purchase the VR7 have large rooms. The Behringer is very affective for bass correction when used just for that purpose.
  BTW has anyone here heard Maggie 20.1s set up properly ? Bryston 28, Tubed pre or all Audio Research and Maggies ? Truley in a class by themselves IMO. Gotta love those ribbon tweeters. The only other tweeter that gives them a challenge are the Raven ribbons. A member of our club had a pair of speakers made using four Ravens per side [ open baffle] with two Focal Audiom 8" mids [ sealed] in a Dippolito configuration. Two separate subs using four 12" Focal Audioms each. Driven by VTL 150s and Levinson for the subs using a Marchand tubed crossover. All Mapleshade active ICs and speaker cable.  AWESOME!! 

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »
I am assuming by what zybar has written about his Vandy 5As that the bass can be finely tuned to almost any room, there are a lot of adjustments. Up top 1st order crossovers, time aligned drivers, easy load, all looks great on paper. But I have not yet heard them setup properly. I look forward to hearing them at full potential.

mgalusha

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »
I've heard exactly one pair of 5A's that were correctly set up and they did sound very good. I think they have like 11 bands of parametric EQ for the bass. Meaning of course that the user is 11 times more likely to screw it up.  :duh

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »
Maggie 20.1's are truly something special.  A completely different animal than the rest of the line.  In a room with some space to breathe, it's amazing to hear speakers of that size disappear like a mini-monitor.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
I remember you have said that before Bryan, that the 20.1 are a different animal. I would love to hear them.  I did hear a set of giant panel speakers when I picked up the servo subs, but I just can't remember what he said they were. My first impression of Maggies was the smallest ones played on Quad 40W tube amp, it just wasn't happening, but still very exciting midrange.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 06:44:16 AM »
Maggie 20.1's are truly something special.  A completely different animal than the rest of the line.  In a room with some space to breathe, it's amazing to hear speakers of that size disappear like a mini-monitor.

Bryan

Agreed Brian. As you stated they need some space. When done so correctly they are IMO in a class by themselves. I still have a pair a Maggie 3As with the 3.6 ribbon tweeters. Except for the midbass and bass performance they are clones of the bigger 20.1s. I used an M&K sub to great affect, now a Sunfire sub. If the Pipedreams weren't in the house the Maggies would still be my reference. The only other panel speaker besides Soundlabs would be the Analysis panels from Greece. Bring some voltage cause those babies will suck it up. Your utility company will love ya.

charles 

Offline miniminim

• Seeking Help
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
Event Opals, for sheer performance per dollar and per unit size:

http://www.eventelectronics.com/

Google for ecstatic reviews.

Any listener reports on the Emerald Physics CS 2.1s??

musicfile

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 04:44:45 PM »
I would sure like to hear the Classic Audio Field Coil Speakers T1 or T3
I recall they were at this years RMAF and well received.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »
I'd like to hear my own speakers.  :(

A week ago I shipped my babies (Fostex F200A extended range drivers) off to Bud Purvine for EnABL treatments.  So I'm living (barely) with the living room speakers in the main system and worrying about my babies that are so far from home and under the tender mercies of Bud and USPS.