Electro Stimulation Ward > Signals and Noise

Relatively Inexpensive RCA/RCA Digital Coax?

(1/2) > >>

James Edward:
My friend is going to need a digital cable; he’s not an audiophile but loves his music. Anything in the fifty dollar range these days getting positive comments or buzz?
I also remember reading that too short a length is not recommended- does that sound familiar? Something about causing ‘reflections’.
FWIW, I use the Kimber Illuminati D-60, and really like it, but it’s out of his price range…
Any thoughts appreciated.

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: James Edward on June 14, 2023, 01:00:29 PM ---My friend is going to need a digital cable; he’s not an audiophile but loves his music. Anything in the fifty dollar range these days getting positive comments or buzz?
I also remember reading that too short a length is not recommended- does that sound familiar? Something about causing ‘reflections’.
FWIW, I use the Kimber Illuminati D-60, and really like it, but it’s out of his price range…

--- End quote ---

I absolutely have a recommendation. Belden 1694A. Get it from blue jeans cables. I've used it (still have it although not installed in my system) and can vouch for it. And yes, there is a minimum distance to avoid. I forget the precise distance, but if you're over 2 ft you're good. Most folks by a 3-ft cable at minimum.

Best.

Hal

P.I.:

--- Quote from: James Edward on June 14, 2023, 01:00:29 PM ---My friend is going to need a digital cable; he’s not an audiophile but loves his music. Anything in the fifty dollar range these days getting positive comments or buzz?

--- End quote ---
I recommend 1.5m as a good sounding length.  Sounds better than .75m (good) and 3' (not as good).  The Canare 75 ohm RCA that BJC uses are great connectors.

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: P.I. on June 14, 2023, 04:38:34 PM ---

--- End quote ---
I recommend 1.5m as a good sounding length.  Sounds better than .75m (good) and 3' (not as good).  The Canare 75 ohm RCA that BJC uses are great connectors.

--- End quote ---

Googling supports the 1.5 meter minimum. Good thing I've always used 6 *feet* for my digital interconnect.  :thumb:

EDIT I recall the topic of minimum digital wire length being discussed on audiogon awhile ago. I cannot readily find the topic. I know Almarg weighed in and presented a formula of sorts which included some nyquist numbers. My memory seems to recall a number close to 2 feet. I could be mistaken though, and google seems to like 1.5 meter or more.

James Edward:
Thanks-I’ll have him order a 5 foot length- BJC goes by the foot… I’ve also heard that the Canare connectors are true 75 ohm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version