Author Topic: Radio Shack Stero Audio Cable  (Read 14864 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Radio Shack Stero Audio Cable
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »
  Tom did you separate the conductors ?? Forgot to mention that. :duh Makes a difference.  :)

By separatring the conductors I assume that you are talking about spearating the left & right calble and not any of the indidvidual condutors within the cable sheaths. Am I correct? I haven't separated anything, but am willing to try. It will have to wait a while though since I an away on business for a few days.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 07:43:49 PM »
Do you take notes or make drawings when comparing differences in soundstage size?

I have a few recording that I have used as evaluation  purposes for years and as such I use physical landmarks in the room to keep track of soundstage placementson these particular tracks.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Do you take notes or make drawings when comparing differences in soundstage size?

Face I am so familiar with the system the answer is no. It is always very obvious.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
  Tom did you separate the conductors ?? Forgot to mention that. :duh Makes a difference.  :)

By separatring the conductors I assume that you are talking about spearating the left & right calble and not any of the indidvidual condutors within the cable sheaths. Am I correct? I haven't separated anything, but am willing to try. It will have to wait a while though since I an away on business for a few days.

Si senor , separate the left and right channels.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
  Now to get the full affect adding the Radio Shack speaker Cable as desribed in the other thread completes the story. Use a single run of two wires for each channel. Twist the conductors of each channel and solder with silver solder. So you will have a right and left cable with two conductors each.
  You all know dammmed well that my reference cables will reappear for a final comparison when al lis broken in.
   Remember inexpensie dosn't mean bad. It could mean less of. A well executed design need not be expensive. We have heard or own gear that dosn't break the bank that floated our boat, right ?

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
I still have my Radio Shack Fusion Cables that made a little murmur on several audio forums a few years ago. Decent build with floating grounds, shielded with mylar foil, directional with ferrite slugs...never really put them to the challenge the way Rollo & Tmazz are though.  :)

Sooooooo what ya waiting for ?? This model is a coaxial design. Let us know what ya think, there Ollie.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

charles

OK, I'll have to give that a whirl.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
Re: Radio Shack Stereo Audio Cable
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 05:06:59 AM »
OK about 30 hours so far and they are in the ugly stage of break-in-itus. A bit Hi fi sounding but the clarity is addictive. I'll report back after 75 hours.

charles

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
rollo,I can't remember what you are using for cabling in your system. Could you give a list of what cable
brands you are using so that I know what you are comparing the Radio Shack cables to?
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 06:13:15 AM »
    Was using Tara Decade between Pre and Amp. Haromnix Golden Ratio between CDP and Pre.  Speaker cables are Mapleshade Active.
     Next up are the Radio Shack speaker cable. Just tried the ICs first to hear what they do. It was recommended to me to use both IC and speaker cable together for the full effect.  Shoot cheap enough to try and have a little fun learning.
   Listened again last night and they are still a changing. They go from smooth to hard it really is a trip to get a handle on. The bass is amazing, if all else fails they are going in between Pre and sub. Subs like coaxial.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »

By separating the conductors I assume that you are talking about separating the left & right cable and not any of the individual conductors within the cable sheaths. Am I correct? I haven't separated anything, but am willing to try. It will have to wait a while though since I an away on business for a few days.

charles

OK, I'll have to give that a whirl.

Wow, splitting the cable into separate left and right runs made a big difference (for those not familiar with this cable it comes with the left and right bound together in a similar fashion to lamp cord. Simply pulling the RCA plugs away from each other at one end splits the seam and separates it into separate left and right cables.)

I had I would say about 30 - 40 hours on it when I did the split and while it did sound better afterwards it was still not in the same league as the MIT cable I had in there before. At this point I'll just give it a bit more break-in time and see what develops.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
Which MIT cable?

Offline tmazz

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »
Which MIT cable?

They are just labeled MIT Extended Musiclink Interface. I got them on Clarence from AudioAdvisor when MIT terminated their US marketing agreement with Transparent and started to operate directly with the US market. These were leftover stock that transparent had on hand when the agreement expired. I can tell you they were a significant step up from the original MI-330 interconnects that they replaced.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
I think something is broken in your system, Charles.  Seriously, ratshack cables besting everything?  Is this one of those things where you see what people will do... you know, to test how crazy dedicated they really are?  I'm not saying it's a hoax... but I have heard a lot of cables do a lot of things... and 'sound good' wasn't on my list of results from cheap plastic cables.

Make sure you try some of the free ones that came with your old cd player for comparison... ;)

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
   No hoax no test, nuttin broken. They are just a neutral cable. I tried them only because an old seasoned buddy of mine was using them with Lamm Sing Preamp and Lamm Hybrid amps driving Analysis Ribbon speakers. I heard no ill affect so I tried them. The IC alone didn't do it for me in the end. The speaker cable as well must be used. A run of two conductors for each channel. The ICs for a sub IMO will be hard to beat. They are staying put for our sub.
    They need 150 hours plus to come together. They do have a clarity and liveliness that is hard to believe. Wether they will stay the course is still up in the air as I find a love hate relationship so far. time will only tell.