Author Topic: mini review  (Read 3725 times)

shep

mini review
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »
I'll keep this short, because they are far from burned in. After nudging repeatedly, Grover sent me his latest offering. I will respect his wishes to call it the"enhanced" version of the SX series of Rca's. In all I have had 6 generations of his cables, since the original group buy here on AN. Call me stubborn, curious and cunning...since every upgrade costs only 50$ and Grover is obviously talented and obsessive in his persuit of improvement, this fits my profile and my budget. In addition, I found the SX series to be a big step up the ladder from the previous and this will be the the third re-think. I call it the SXc, to keep them in order. Grover prefers to not talk about what constitutes the difference and I agreed to respect that. It's obviously internal, since they look the same. I'll leave you to imagine...at this point I am being cautious since I am known to be over-enthusiastic and then regret it. What is sure is that the treble is absolutely stellar. I am waiting for the bass to flesh out and the mids to settle and round out. Spacially and tonally these are truely excellent and in my HO, a big step upwards. I have to admit to being fed up listening to cables burning in and I wish sometimes I wasn't so neurotic and always looking ways to improve. At least I'm not alone.
More will be revealed.

shep

Re: mini review
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
really great treble. Feel free to call me boring and repetative   :roll:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
really great treble. Feel free to call me boring and repetative   :roll:

Wow, a three word review.  :roll:

When you said it was a mini review, you weren't kidding.  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »
I suppose I deserved that! but there were a few more than three words just above. Never mind. The true audiophile must learn to wrap themselves in mystery and impenatrable obscurity. and preferabley live in far off places where their occasional cryptic comments cannot be challanged. :duh OK start again: For those not familiar with Grover Huffman cables, Google will not get you very far I'm afraid. This latest version has a stunning high-end, very good spacial rendering, highly textured and tone-rich. I'm still waiting for the bass to come on and tilt it back down to less lit-up territory. Reviewing cables sucks by the way. I'll give it a miss in the future. Assuming the burn-in process works out (Grover doesn't do Cryo or cable cooking, so you're on your own) I'll stick my neck on the chopping block and based on my ears, my system, etc. I would say it fits firmly in the 1000$ catagory and doesn't cost that much.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:18:26 AM by shep »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
  Now your talking my language. TREBLE. I can live with deficiencies in other areas but not the treble region. That alone has perked the nervosa. That is why I like the JPS SC-3 so much.
  Keep it coming Shep, very interesting info.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Charles, you are a gentleman. I was sulking ("no one cares what I have to say") which is probably true anyway but at least SOMEONE was listening! Yes the treble is stunning and the rest is beginning to catch up. I don't remember what Grover charges anymore, since I keep feeding him 50$ bills, returning cables etc. I've actually probably spent a heck of a lot. This is a very interesting (not entirely neutral) very musical IC with an absolutley world class treble register. I can't say more without sounding silly and anyway no two ears are alike.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:39:48 PM by shep »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
  Are you using one pair of ICs or throughout the system ? Pre to amp ? CDP to Pre ? All of the above ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:37 AM »
Simplicity is the name of my game: one source (cdp) to one set of inputs on one deceptively simple looking integrated, powering one pair of spkrs. Grover from cdp to amp, KCI spkr "ropes" to spkrs.