Author Topic: Grover's cables  (Read 13133 times)

grover

Re: Grover's cables
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »
Hi Guys, I may put a bit more plating on the switchcraft than I remove, but we're talking micro inches. I think the tightness is an annoyance but much preferred to looseness. If you remove the Switchcraft RCA as I recommend it's easier and safe. I personally haven't damaged either chassis jack or RCA plug over all these years using this connector and I switch cables continually. This includes horribly cheap CD player plastic chassis jacks. I've looked for other RCA connectors but the Switchcraft is best in all the categories important to me. Low mass, excellent construction, and amazing sound, I feel fortunate that these plugs are still available in this age of extravagant overpriced designs.

grover

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »
I forgot to add that I use a custom motorized hardened precision rolling mill to personally make the copper, silver, and aluminum ribbons in my cables.  I do not use a hand mill.

shep

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »
No Rich I mean the pin goes into the female recepticle (let's get really anatomical) right? If you look from inside, you see that in most cases that recepticle is spring loaded and actually the pin touches on a very small surface. The outer ring has a much bigger contact area and ia almost never a problem. When you pull the plug, it breaks contact first at the pin. Anyway the female jack(s) on my Marantz is absolute garbage. I wanted it changed but that involved a lot of work and more expense. As I'm already getting onto a Grand of outlay for this machine, I elected to save this for another time. By the way, after the latest mods (and 150 hours of cap-forming) it's sounding humungous.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Now I remember about your Marantz jacks. Hang in there, you'll get it all fixed before too long