Author Topic: Mogami Cables  (Read 13067 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Mogami Cables
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
Looking forward to your report Dragan.

dragan

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
Rich, another quick update for ya. Beside analog interconnect cables that I ordered bunch of, I also got a few digital wires. One of those is currently running between Wadia iTransport and Quad CDP-2 (used as a DAC) into Aleph 3, driving Duos.
So far, the little Mogami is as good as anything I had in my house. At the moment, it replaced Acoustic Zen but I also ran all sorts of them.. Pretty damn good. Still to early to be critically judging it so we'll wait a while.

I also have Mogami speaker cables coming along with WBT banana plugs. Once I get those assembled and installed in my main system, I'll give a couple of weeks and report back again.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
I've been using a 25' long Mogami Gold balanced run for quite awhile and am very happy with them.  All of $100 for the set complete with nice Neutrik XLR's.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

dragan

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »
Good to hear. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I have to tell you I'm really looking to replace everything with Mogami and use it exclusively. Who knows though.. We'll see. Glad you're happy with them, it certainly is encouraging to hear.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »
That's great news guys. Seem like it's worth a listen. Where did you guys buy your Mogamis? Cablefactory?
Thanks

dragan

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
I got mine at Markertek.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »
Guitar Center if you want them pre-assembled.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

dragan

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
Another short update - the speaker cable came in last night. This is a substantial wire, pretty damn heavy. Started to make a first pair and realized I didn't have proper size heatshrink tubing. Instead of just slapping it together I placed an order and now am waiting again.

I have all the interconnects in now and installed in the system. Just waiting for the speaker wire to be finished..

Will post again soon, hopefully with some listening impressions.

bacobits

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 08:32:07 AM »
dragan, thanks!
I'm watching your reactions. You have much better equipment /system than me
so I'm interested in maybe a cheap change here. Although I have no complaints now.
Then why should I change? Well, we all know we can't leave well enough alone for too long. :rofl:

I have been using my cables through many systems over the past 10 years some changed along the way but always going back to the cables I'm using now.

Den
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:34:40 AM by bacobits »

dragan

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »
Den,

Even though I had all sorts of equipment in my house, be it my own or borrowed for a listen, I never really belonged to a group that's changed gear frequently. I did though change pieces upward within the same line number of times.
Both Quad and Avantgarde are good examples.
Cables have been the least-changed component. I had various brands but one that stayed in the house was Transparent.
Mogami idea came from a friend and if I'm able to follow through properly to the end, meaning if I select my connectors right and do a really good job in making all the cables etc., who knows, they may "solve" the cable-changing urge for a very long time.

Last night I finished the second set of speaker cables. The first was a 10' pair, the second 8'. Termination is the only thing left and to be honest, for the longer pair, I'm thinking of not terminating at all. Without a doubt, this process will require a lot time and playing around 'til I get it done.

I also started making interconnects and didn't get too far with them. Too tired, went to bed at about midnight last night.
Most likely I'll continue tonight.

The idea truly is to have a set or two to use without looking at anything else for a very long time. I've been able to do that with electronics, no reason it can't be done with wires.

Will keep you posted though.

bacobits

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
Dragan,
Any update on how the Mogami cables are working out for you?
You have been quiet.

Den