Author Topic: Mogami Cables  (Read 13068 times)

dragan

Mogami Cables
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:31:21 AM »
Any of you guys have any experience with Mogami wires. I'm interested in buying a shit load to replace all the wires I have . Any info would be helpful, where to get them etc.

Thanks

bacobits

Re: Mogami Cables
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
Just real quick like through Google>

Bulk?
http://shop.toursupply.com/pro-audio/cables-and-connectors/roll-your-own?SID=530b3f7fadcc83519de5aab83b047416&manufacturer=119

Mogami Dealers
http://www.mogamicable.com/dealers/cabledealers.htm

This stuff is always PRO related. Not familiar at all for audiophile use.
Why Mogami?

D

dragan

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »
I Googled a bunch and had a hard time finding a audio(phile) specific place to get these from. A lot of places out there sell Mogami but not the way I had in mind. Although, I may have to either get bulk and make my own.. Who knows.

Ever since I got hooked, I absolutely hated wires. Their pricing to be more specific. I understood the sonic difference they made in a system, respected them as a component but the dislike for the pricing remained.

Needless to say, just like most uf, I spent who knows how much on big names, etc and now I'm done with it. Still have a truck load of it, some sitting in boxes, some used in my systems.

For the longest time, while I ran Avantgarde + 47 Labs, I sued 47 Labs Stratos wire. It worked just beautifully in the system beating out many others, much much more expensive. Since then I set out to find  more "generic" wire, something that will work across different systems etc and Mogami name came from a trusted old friend.
He has been in audio industry for as long as I can remember, has access to just about everything on the planet, our musics tastes jive as well as what we both value in terms of resolution. Swears by Mogami. I have seen him get exited number times over a new piece etc but this wire takes the cake.

I too would like to give it shot.

bacobits

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »
Ah HA! Spill the beans. Which Mogami is it?
Many moons ago ( 80's) Mogami was brought up as a great audio cable.

I have not changed wires in at least 10 years. I use solid silver Home Grown Audio in a tri brade configuration similar to the Kimbers, and Kimber 8TC.
I, like yourself cannot stand spending huge amounts of $ on cables. I refuse to, even though there are differences of course.

I would buy the correct Mogami in bulk and use Switchcraft RCA's to make your own. Other wise the damn ends will be worth more than the cable. The Switchcrafts are supposed to be very good.

AND, tell us what # cable it is you are after.
Music stores might sell this stuff in bulk too since it is a Pro cable.

Den

dragan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:04:28 PM »
You see, we're coming from the same place :-)
The part number from Mogami page:
Analog cable : Part No. W2893
Digital cable : Part No. W3228
... but I'm still researching.

You may be right though.. my best bet may be to get bulk and try and make my own. I'll try and call some of their dealers when I get some time.

I'll report here when I have something more concrete.

bacobits

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 06:51:29 AM »
I just might try it.
Purchase this and cut it down. This is Quad 2893 Mogami.

http://www.thecablefactory.net/audio-cables-199/18-interconnect-cables-165/mogami-1-8-mini-interconnect-cable-203.html

Add the Switchcraft ends. A la' Cheapo!

Den
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:54:26 AM by bacobits »

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:56:34 AM »
You might want to check www.markertek.com, they carry quite a bit of Mogami and offer custom cable assemblies.

bacobits

dragan

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
OK boys, time to make a purchase: what about this?

http://www.thecablefactory.net/audio-cables-199/rca-cable-107/mogami-rca-interconnect-cable-211.html

Mike, what's your thought on this particular wire?

bacobits

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
That is Mogami 2524 so you know.
Different than what your friend recommended.

D

dragan

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »
Got it..

I went with this (Markertek):

10 [MSC3RRPE] Mogami Audio Cable Rca-Rca -3ft-  Purple @$19.00/ea = $190.00 (Qty Backordered = 10)

Now I have to find Mogami for speakers. The page suggests the same wire, it seems.

bacobits

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 04:16:15 PM »
Purple?  :shock:

Please report what you hear when you receive them.

D

dragan

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
How 'bout that ah? :-) Got me some gray cable sleeves too. Should've gotten orange damn it.

They appear to on backorder so it'll take some but will report here as soon as I get them. I'd like to get some speaker wire but don't have a clue which one. I'll keep Googling...

dragan

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 06:34:18 PM »

dragan

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »
Just a quick update - I received digital cables I ordered, some cable sleeves, heatshrink, RCA connectors (Vampire) but am still waiting on the rest of it. Still don't have anything in terms of speaker wire. Will keep looking.
I haven't tried the digital wire yet, waiting to get the rest, dress it up etc and then sit down for a listen. Digital wire seems pretty thin, less then 1/4" in dia., very very flexible. Nice.

Sonics is what truly matters so we wait.