Author Topic: Scott 222C Stereomaster Tube Integrated ???  (Read 6781 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Scott 222C Stereomaster Tube Integrated ???
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
No action on AC with this topic, so I'll give it a shot here...

Vintage & Tube "Newbie" wants info. on a circa 1959 - 1963 Scott 222C Stereomaster Tube Integrated.  I have a trade offer for one of these, but the person mentions upgrades, servicing etc... that I am completely oblivious to.

In no particular order:

• the selenium rectifier was replaced with a silicon bridge
• perfectly matched Sovtek 6P14P-EB output tubes replacing the 7189's
• 6U8A driver tubes to replace the GU8's
• "upgraded" with new coupling caps & new power filter electrolytic
• replaced out of spec carbon comps

Please advise.
Thanks!
SN

Note to Moderator: If this belongs in DIY, please move it. - Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:15:33 PM by StereoNut »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Scott 222C Stereomaster Tube Integrated ???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
Sounds OK to me, as long as whoever did the work is a good tech.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:11:14 AM »
  Sounds good, however check out Mapleshades Scott modified units.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:20:59 AM »
A Mapleshade modded Scott is probably a much better sounding unit, but I'm not looking to spend any $$$ here.  The only reason I was considering this piece was because it was offered in trade for my AAA5 CD player.  I honestly don't know if this Scott (or any other?) would be "better enough" to replace my Naim electronics in my main (only) system... but if it's not, I really don't have a need for it unless I wanted to piece together a second system in the house somewhere. 

I rather just sell my CD player outright to this guy with the Scott, but I'm not sure how this will all end up.

I guess, nothing ventured, nothing gained!?

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
The Scott won't come close to the Naim for audio performance, but it may have some value as a second system, or for resale easier than the Arcan CDP.  It will sound nice and listenable, you know that, as long as it works correctly. The only risk is that a butcher ruined it and not worth refixing it. But none of the changes sound too far out. Actually they are normal maintenance and upgrading to modern parts.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:15:58 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies; but I now have more info. (see quote below) on this piece that sounds very important, but is way over my tech-challenged head!  :duh   

AFAIC, all of this may as well been written in Martian!

"I realized today when I got the cover off that this was the 222C I put Hovland Musicaps in as coupling caps.  Also, the more important caps in the phono and preamp circuit were replaced with Sprague 716p "Orange Drop" capacitors.  I mention this because I think I said this one had Russian PIO's in it.  That was another one I did, I just got confused.  Anyway, if you really wanted the PIO's I have a huge stash of them and can quickly swap them out.  The Hovlands are more expensive caps but that of course does not mean they are better.  Also, I added some fast recovery soft switching diodes to the leads of the bridge filament rectifier for two purposes.  One, it make the bridge as quiet as the fast recovery diodes (I don't think it is too important on the filaments though).  Two, it provides about 0.7v of drop out of the rectifier which in conjunction with a 10R resistor, brings the voltage back down to the 6.3v range.  The silicon rectifier is more efficient than the old selenium one and raises the voltage too high without the resistor and diode.  Just FYI and for future purchases, if you ever buy an older amp (circa late 50's and early 60's) that has been "refurbished, freshened up, or updated" be sure to ask or check and see if the filament voltages are correct, this is a often overlooked modification mistake that can get really expensive when your expensive NOS tubes start to burn out."

Huh?  :roll:   I am sooooooooo confused!  :oops:

Comments?

Thanks!
SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:53:54 AM »
It all makes sense. But a little weird that the story is changing mid-stream. Did he get a wiff of your ignorance about electronics and swap out the good parts?  I am optimist and say probably not, he's just giving full disclosure. All those caps he mentioned are better than what came with it, so no biggie. Paper in oil is warm lush (smeared, rolled off) compared to Hovland metal film cap. Orange drops are touted by some modders, but I don't remember their sonic character. You are an engineer, you can swap in anything you like after you get it, if you wanted to experiment.

The resale value of a modded unit is less to a collector. But this doesn't sound like collectors edition anyway, just an old used amp made safe for another 10+ years of enjoyment. If you will USE it then it's a nice piece. If you just want to resell it, then I think you are better off lowering the price of the CDP to sell that quicker.  If you think it will sound awesome, forget it, nothing compared to your Naim. Go for Mapleshade if you want modded Scott. Or go for modern design gear if you really want tubes.

Just my opinions. If your heart is set on it, go for it. We'll help you make it work if there's a problem. Any tube tech can fix these small issues if needed. But every fix waters down your Arcam profit, unless you love the Scott, then you have intrinsic value to enjoy.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:04:57 AM »
Thanks, Rich!

I don't get that vibe from this guy re: "swapping out all of the good parts" but one never knows???  As far as me "being an engineer", you got the wrong Nervosian - so any parts swapping etc... isn't going to be my my hand anytime soon!  I hardly know which end of the soldiering iron to hold!  :)

To be flat out honest, I don't have my heart set on this piece by any means.  I really don't have a need for it (especially since, like you said; it's not going to be "better enough" to replace my Naim electronics) unless I find a place to set up a second system somewhere in the house.  I guess I was just thinking that the Scott may be a better piece to have my $$$ tied up in if I wanted to re-sell it somewhere down the line, rather than the AAA5 CD player - but you've made a valid point about having difficulty in turning over a modded piece. 

Then again... they're BOTH modded!!!  :duh

Maybe (?) I should think about listing the CD player on eBay after my Audiogon listing expires and see what happens.

Thanks for your insight to things.  It's always appreciated.

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:55:59 AM »
Sorry, I mixed up with Tmazz, the engineer...

It's hard to judge value for someone else, so it's just my opinion. But trust your gut. If the trade makes you feel good and excited then it might be a fun journey. If it's just about the money, I'd say your most efficient disposal of the Arcam is by continuously lowering the price until it sells. Or find someone to whom giving it away would make you feel good. Maybe your church or kids school or YMCA or something. Maybe the tax deduction would be valuable to you. Selling it too cheap might make you feel worse than giving it to someone you love. But I'm sure there is a fair price that someone would love to own it for their hifi system. Arcam is a good brand. You just gotta be patient and keep lowering until it sells, or market it better with sexy pictures, inside and out, and alluring prose describing its mystical powers to excite and arouse the soul. Copy and paste from 6moons.  :rofl:

Don't forget to list your Arcam on theAudioXchange.com Listing is free and they are AN sponsor.

Good luck
Rich

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
Thanks (again) Rich!  :thumb:

Believe it or not, I just did list it on AudioXchange and that was before I read your last post!  Must have been mental telepathy!? 

Then again, if we're on Nervosa, we're all "mental" in some capacity... or is that in-capacity!?   :rofl:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L