Author Topic: tiny tubes  (Read 5646 times)

shep

tiny tubes
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:49 AM »
I'm seriously tempted (meaning obsessed) to buy the MiniWatt tube amp. It's getting a lot of buzz and sounds too much fun and too damn cute to pass up (even if it will in no way wake up my inefficient spkrs)
In addition, the American dealer,  http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=294, is offering a rather nice tube upgrade, which the HK source is not. 6Moons gave this a good review and in general it's thought to be not only dead cheap (and for how long?) but a serious little piece of kit. What say thou brethren?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: tiny tubes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
Two ways to view your decision:

1. Obey your desires, they will lead you to a wonderful adventure, peace and prosperity, your itch will be scratched.

2. You need >98dB/2.83V/m speakers to use a 2.5W amp.

If you want a great little tube amp for fair (low) price, check out PrimaLuna Prologue 1. BSA sells them. Reviews claim it is a little warm but very satisfying and good value, well built. Easy tube swap, automatic bias, any tube works.

Now be honest, do you think (in your present condition) that you're ready to add tube rolling to the existing nervosa?    :lol:

shep

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
I think you caught me Rich...dreaming out loud! But it's Soooo cute....itch, itch.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
And here are some cute little speakers to use with that cute little amp! :D

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/05/eggshell_speakers.html

What would make somebody try this is beyond me. I could not in a million years pull it off as I don't have the patience it would take.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
Awwwwww.... Isn't that CUTE!

or maybe this? 109dB

shep

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
ugly brutes those horns. The eggs are cute though. Bet they sound better than the speakers on my laptop.
I think someone's are making fun of my nervosa...takes one to know one.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »
I had a chance to hear the MiniWatt at the last Rave (at Hogg's/Jim's in CT.).
You might check the July '09 Rave thread on AC for photos....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8qlr7al0ugvia3ldu1c00ug79e71r3v9&topic=69325.60

For its low price....does pretty well. It REALLY is very small....
....but those 2.5 watts do sound good if you have the right speakers.(Hi-Eff.)

This was a stock unit....no tubes were switched....and for less than $300.00...a fun toy.

Jim/Hogg has owned a Prima Luna...one of the early models....and did loan it to me for a listen.
It's a much better amp than the MW...more power....better sounding....good quality.

shep....just for fun...a Mini....for a little more, a Sophia Baby....for even better, a Prima Luna.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:32:09 PM by lonewolfny42 »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
Photo to show MW size....

shep

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
I guess I can find better ways to ease the itch and probably the cuteness factor would wear off and I don't see any HF speakers on the horizon. Guess I better get a grip on my Nervosa  :duh

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »
Shep check out Nightshade audio at AC. he makes some sweet gear for a very reasonable price.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 07:20:13 AM »
The miniwatt is the only price that's even remotely reasonable for me right now. Don't encourage me! anyway gotta get some new speaker cables. Waiting on someone reporting on Grover's latest.