Author Topic: Speaker stand suggestions?  (Read 8204 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: Speaker stand suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24794

Or if you're in a hurry...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMCXX32

I got a set for my son, very very solid, fillable, excellent value.

Thanks, Barry. These seem to be better value(?) compared to the Pangeas? Actually, I am sure any of these suggestions will do better than the wooden Sanus ones I have now.

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
Well, quite a letdown today… was going to fill my B & W speaker stands with sand right now. They are not fillable. I’ve looked through this thread again and Barry’s suggestion of the Monoprice seems best. I really don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on stands. I will look through some other old threads to see if there are other recommendations. If anybody has any ideas, I’d love to hear them. I just measured the tweeter height again on the stands and my listening position and it’s pretty much spot on. So 24” stands would be the correct height.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »
Well, quite a letdown today… was going to fill my B & W speaker stands with sand right now. They are not fillable. I’ve looked through this thread again and Barry’s suggestion of the Monoprice seems best. I really don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on stands. I will look through some other old threads to see if there are other recommendations. If anybody has any ideas, I’d love to hear them. I just measured the tweeter height again on the stands and my listening position and it’s pretty much spot on. So 24” stands would be the correct height.
That's odd.  I have never seen a B&W stand that did not have a removable top or bottom plate.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24794

Or if you're in a hurry...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMCXX32

I got a set for my son, very very solid, fillable, excellent value.

Barry,
I’ve  looked at the questions/answers section on Monoprice. Apparently the stands come with M8 spikes. If so, that would be great as I’m using the Herbies product to set the spikes into. I also read about the stands being fillable as you said. One of the comments said there was a tiny gap at the bottom that needs to be sealed with clear silicone. Is that correct? I am assuming that the silicone would need to be applied externally after the securing bolts on the bottom have been tightened. I also wanted to ask you about how much space there is at the top to pour in sand. My B and Ws have too narrow a gap for me to try and pour sand into. Can you tell me how much of space there is for me to be able to insert a large funnel? Do you recall?
Thanks for your help.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 02:19:42 PM »
That's odd.  I have never seen a B&W stand that did not have a removable top or bottom plate.

It sure doesn’t look removable to me, Dave. But let me get out the Allen wrench and open it up again. Maybe I missed something obvious
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »
There is a rubber pad that goes across the top of the B & W stand with an adhesive on the back. I very carefully pried it off and there was a 1/4 to 1/3” gap. I have a plastic funnel that I was able to push into that opening. It would be very tedious to fill sand that way, but it’s doable. At least I have an engineered floor in the living room and not carpet. So vacuuming up spilled sand would be easy. Are most metal stands like this? I assumed this kind of speaker stand would have a bigger, more easily fillable space. But I guess stuff like this is part of the joy of being an audiophile?? 😳
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 06:46:03 PM »
There is a rubber pad that goes across the top of the B & W stand with an adhesive on the back. I very carefully pried it off and there was a 1/4 to 1/3” gap. I have a plastic funnel that I was able to push into that opening. It would be very tedious to fill sand that way, but it’s doable. At least I have an engineered floor in the living room and not carpet. So vacuuming up spilled sand would be easy. Are most metal stands like this? I assumed this kind of speaker stand would have a bigger, more easily fillable space. But I guess stuff like this is part of the joy of being an audiophile?? 😳
Looks like you get to explore the virtue of patience   :D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 06:55:52 PM »
Looks like you get to explore the virtue of patience   :D

Dave,
I was really, really hoping for a different answer  :lol:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »
Nick

Doesn't the top or bottom plate come off?
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 07:08:06 PM »
Nick

Jack,
Both the top and the bottom plates are easily removed with an Allen wrench. The problem is there is only a gap of 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch on either side of a solid metal piece which holds the Allen screws and the top plate. It is only on either side of that top supporting piece that I can shove that small funnel into place. I had expected/hoped for  an area of at least 2 or 3 inches in diameter into which I could pour the sand.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2021, 07:26:14 PM »
Well that's an odd design and a pain in the ass.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 09:16:14 PM »
Nick

Jack,
Both the top and the bottom plates are easily removed with an Allen wrench. The problem is there is only a gap of 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch on either side of a solid metal piece which holds the Allen screws and the top plate. It is only on either side of that top supporting piece that I can shove that small funnel into place. I had expected/hoped for  an area of at least 2 or 3 inches in diameter into which I could pour the sand.
Can you make a cardboard funnel the width and length of the slot or is it just a small hole?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
Nick

Jack,
Can you make a cardboard funnel the width and length of the slot or is it just a small hole?

No can do. If I slid the cardboard in there, it would take up virtually all the space. It’s actually easier to use that small funnel. I’m going to visit a friend in Vegas on Tuesday and will just leave the funnel in there for now. May shoot Monoprice an email asking how much room there might be to add sand from the top. For me to fill each stand, with this size funnel, would take many many dozens of scoops of sand…maybe hundreds. I had the cat food scooper ready to go for this task.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 09:26:37 AM »

No can do. If I slid the cardboard in there, it would take up virtually all the space. It’s actually easier to use that small funnel. I’m going to visit a friend in Vegas on Tuesday and will just leave the funnel in there for now. May shoot Monoprice an email asking how much room there might be to add sand from the top. For me to fill each stand, with this size funnel, would take many many dozens of scoops of sand…maybe hundreds. I had the cat food scooper ready to go for this task.
If 'twas me I would be finding someone to drill some holes in those plates to accept a large funnel.  Those stands are made of mild steel and are actually pretty easy to drill going slow with a little lubricant.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/tips-for-drilling-holes-in-metal/

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »

If 'twas me I would be finding someone to drill some holes in those plates to accept a large funnel.  Those stands are made of mild steel and are actually pretty easy to drill going slow with a little lubricant.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/tips-for-drilling-holes-in-metal/

Here’s the latest on my filling crisis… I was on the Monoprice website and spoke with a customer support guy and read the questions and answers area on the site as well.
There is no exploded view in the drawings that would show how much of a gap there is at the top. One of the comments said there is a large enough gap to put a funnel in. What that precisely means as to size, I have no idea. I am going to check the garage and see what the largest drill bit I have. I’m guessing it’s a 5/8 and maybe I have a 3/4 inch laying around as well. So that would allow me to buy a slightly larger funnel. The bottom plate fits pretty tight and I doubt if any sand would seep through there. So that’s the plan and I guess I can play music through my iPad to keep me company as I start the laborious process 💤
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS