Author Topic: Uptone Etheregen  (Read 5324 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Uptone Etheregen
« on: January 08, 2021, 08:27:49 AM »
   Anyone using one ? Stellar reviews cost $640.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Vincent Kars

• Seeking Help
Re: Uptone Etheregen
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 02:47:57 AM »
Those reviews are most of the time a matter of listening with ones eyes.
Measurements prove it doesn't do anything useful as might be expected because ethernet ports are galvanic isolated by design.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-audio-etherregen-switch-review.10232/

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:17:43 AM »
  Thanks Vincent. I cannot understand all the hype and over 2K sold. Makes me lose some respect for the reviewers.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Vincent Kars

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 12:02:22 PM »
Makes me lose some respect for the reviewers.

They do what they do, listening with their eyes.
Never heard of (or opposed to) unsighted testing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinded_experiment

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 08:30:32 AM »
For newbies, blinding only addresses a confound variable, not all variables by any means. As such, if testing for audio changes, simply blinding does not result in an accurate test, or results.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:35:16 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 09:05:55 AM »
For newbies, blinding only addresses a confound variable, not all variables by any means. As such, if testing for audio changes, simply blinding does not result in an accurate test, or results.

cheers

steve
Blind testing is more trouble than it is worth.  Just close your eyes while someone makes (or doesn't) the change.  Besides, if we can't trust our ears we need to get a different hobby/diversion/obsession.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline TrueAudio

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 02:57:24 PM »
Blind testing is more trouble than it is worth.  Just close your eyes while someone makes (or doesn't) the change.  Besides, if we can't trust our ears we need to get a different hobby/diversion/obsession.
I have an unscientific test that I rather enjoy when it happens, and that is:  If you're listening to something you're well familiar with, and you LAUGH out loud and develop a huge smile on your face because you can't believe how good something sounds--you're going in the right direction.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 06:31:24 PM »

cheers

steve

I agree with you for the most part P.I. I think one difference is that being a circuit designer, I am always testing, over years, to make sure my conclusions are correct. DBTs are only poorly designed single events.

I even use different methods of listening and then see if the different methods correlate or if there is a difference/problem. I also use an individual or two to also verify my listening test results. As such, I am confident of my conclusions.

True Audio, I agree and sometimes get misty eyed.

Cheers and thanks Gents.

steve
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:29:32 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 08:10:23 PM »
I have an unscientific test that I rather enjoy when it happens, and that is:  If you're listening to something you're well familiar with, and you LAUGH out loud and develop a huge smile on your face because you can't believe how good something sounds--you're going in the right direction.
And there you have it!  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe