Author Topic: My Media Room...  (Read 25450 times)

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: My Media Room...
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »
Guess I'll quit checking your garbage every night
looking for the AA to show up.
But if you do decide to ditch it, I volunteer to take
it away for you (you lucky devil).
And ya, the place looks pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Don

Thanks Don, and look closer, I've got 3 of them ;)

2020-06-17_04-29-12 by Barry, on Flickr
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
Sweet.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »
Well it's been a while but some changes have been made. Still running the 2-channel side pure, with the HT feeding the 2-channel pre-amp, but I recently purchased a new AVR, Marantz SR6015 so that I could add Atmos decoding to the HT portion of the room, I've also removed the center channel speaker and running a phantom center in the HT now...

Media_Room_20220210_Atmos by Barry, on Flickr

PXL_20220207_224509385 by Barry, on Flickr

PXL_20220208_030938260 by Barry, on Flickr

PXL_20220212_204931990 by Barry, on Flickr

PXL_20220212_204837970 by Barry, on Flickr

2022-02-10_05-53-39 by Barry, on Flickr

Audio-System-Map-20220210 by Barry, on Flickr

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2022, 09:34:59 PM »
This is great, Barry!  :thumb:

One question though - How good are those black curtains at absorption/diffusion? I think I need to put up something like that to tame some early reflections.

Paul

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2022, 10:26:43 AM »

One question though - How good are those black curtains at absorption/diffusion? I think I need to put up something like that to tame some early reflections.

Paul

Thanks Paul, and they're actually pretty good, so much so that I prefer listening to 2-Channel with them tied up as shown below. I tried them hanging down opened, and closed in various positions along the rod, and I find I get a much broader and deeper soundstage when they are up. In my room, I feel the shelving and books do a great job of absorption and diffusion on their own, and the curtains become too much of a good thing. I just use the curtains for watching movies, to remove the visual distraction of the shelves, and prevent reflection of light back onto the screen, improving image contrast.

PXL_20220210_223522341 by Barry, on Flickr

These are the curtain rods I ordered > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792FZBDD
These are the curtains I ordered > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VNH8JS

You may not need as much as I did just to tame some reflections ;)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
  Looking Good Enjoy !

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2022, 12:37:06 PM »

Paul

Thanks Paul, and they're actually pretty good, so much so that I prefer listening to 2-Channel with them tied up as shown below. I tried them hanging down opened, and closed in various positions along the rod, and I find I get a much broader and deeper soundstage when they are up. In my room, I feel the shelving and books do a great job of absorption and diffusion on their own, and the curtains become too much of a good thing. I just use the curtains for watching movies, to remove the visual distraction of the shelves, and prevent reflection of light back onto the screen, improving image contrast.

PXL_20220210_ :D223522341 by Barry, on Flickr

These are the curtain rods I ordered > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792FZBDD

It really looks great, Barry  :thumb:  I would suggest a bigger sub, though   :roll:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 04:19:23 PM »
   Looking Good Enjoy !
charles

Thanks Charles!

It really looks great, Barry  :thumb:  I would suggest a bigger sub, though   :roll:

Well it's an 18", crossover is set to 30Hz for 2-channel and it barely moves, and because of that, it integrates very smoothly with my stereo pair.
For HT, crossover is set much higher and it literally shakes the house when called to :D

Offline malloy

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 09:32:12 PM »

Paul

PXL_20220210_223522341 by Barry, on Flickr

Thanks for explaining and for the curtain info. I had mistakenly thought that there were only cds near the speakers, but clicking on your fickr, I see you have books and LPs.

By the way, is that a Joy Division "Heart and Soul" boxset I see on the left in the earlier photo?

Paul

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2022, 02:27:08 PM »
Thanks for explaining and for the curtain info. I had mistakenly thought that there were only cds near the speakers, but clicking on your fickr, I see you have books and LPs.

By the way, is that a Joy Division "Heart and Soul" boxset I see on the left in the earlier photo?

Paul

My pleasure Paul, and yes, good eye, they're a favorite, if there is such a thing... I love so much music, of all types, for so many different reasons... Bach, Bauhaus, Miles Davis, My Bloody Valentine, Rostropovich, Ramones :D I think you get the picture ;)

Offline malloy

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »

My pleasure Paul, and yes, good eye, they're a favorite, if there is such a thing... I love so much music, of all types, for so many different reasons... Bach, Bauhaus, Miles Davis, My Bloody Valentine, Rostropovich, Ramones :D I think you get the picture ;)

Awesome, Barry!  :thumb: I used to be very heavily into new wave/new romantic/post punk stuff. The Cure, The Mission UK, etc. before I got into more, ahem *serious" music.  :lol:

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:12 PM »
So, I've been playing with DIY speaker isolation footers for some time. Originally I was using these silicone mini-frisbees, but positioning the speakers was a royal PITA. They were never really in quite the same spot after lifting them to put the isolators under the spike disks. Recently I came up with a better solution that includes a metal cup that holds an even softer silicone disc and I can now slide the speakers into position and make very fine adjustments to their position and not have to move them again to put the isolation discs in place. The softer silicone of these discs offers better isolation as well. I'm very pleased...

2023-02-05_09-01-13 by Barry, on Flickr

2023-02-05_09-00-29 by Barry, on Flickr

2023-02-05_09-00-52 by Barry, on Flickr

2023-02-05_08-59-47 by Barry, on Flickr

I also removed the sub from the 2-channel system, it doesn't thump as hard, but the bass is more articulate and finger pluck on upright is more apparent .

Audio-System-Map-4 by Barry, on Flickr

Online GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 11:21:29 AM »
So, I've been playing with DIY speaker isolation footers for some time. Originally I was using these silicone mini-frisbees, but positioning the speakers was a royal PITA. They were never really in quite the same spot after lifting them to put the isolators under the spike disks. Recently I came up with a better solution that includes a metal cup that holds an even softer silicone disc and I can now slide the speakers into position and make very fine adjustments to their position and not have to move them again to put the isolation discs in place. The softer silicone of these discs offers better isolation as well. I'm very pleased...

Hi Barry. Glad to read you have things sorted out to your liking. Also good that you are handy in a sense and can do a DIY "project". Just checking if you're aware, that there is a product on the market meant to do precisely (seemingly) what you've developed.

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103435831

As to precision placement in the sense that once you move your speaker you want it set back in the exact same spot, based on your photos it looks like you have the speakers on a wood or wood laminate floor. Could you not just use painter's tape around each of the feet (cup) prior to moving the speaker, to act as a guide when repositioning them back into the exact same spot?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 01:13:15 PM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 01:56:01 PM »
Hi Hal, no, I hadn't seen those before, and it seems they're out of stock with no pricing available. I'd bet that with my R&D included, I've still spent less than those would have cost me. At least one of the reviews mentions that though working well, they seem somewhat expensive/over priced, for what they are.

And yes I use tape on the floor, but once the speakers are placed to my liking, they're never in exactly the same spot once lifted and placed on the isolators. A 1/2" here, 1/4" there, and they couldn't really be moved once on the early isolators I was using. Now I can make fine adjustments with the isolators in place.

I could be tempted to try the Herbie's offering, but I'm really quite happy with what I was able to develop on my own ;)

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2023, 07:26:09 AM »
A little bummed...
My X10-D tube buffer developed a hum yesterday. The system definitely loses something without it. Wondering if it's a tube or a cap(?) May try to source some replacement tubes to see if that addresses the issue.