Author Topic: Archival disk standard  (Read 10754 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Archival disk standard
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201403/14-0310E/index.html

3 layer optical disk to hold up to 1TB for data archiving.

Sony physical media (mag tapes and CD-R disks) are very reliable for long storage compared to other brands.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Archival disk standard
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »
Any long term archive strategy  has two big challenges, hardware and software obsolescence. Any data that needs to be saved over the long haul needs to be moved on a regular basis to a new storage technology. While these discs may be stable enough to be readable for many years into the future, the more important question is will the hardware to read them exist 20 years from now. How many people have stored data on tape cartridges, zip drives or Bernoulli boxes only to find that when they needed to use it the hardware that wrote them failed and could not be repaired or replaced?

The same goes for software. I recently dumped archives of all kind of stuff I did in grad school because it  used graphic and other software that is no longer available for the current operating systems and the file formats are not importable into current software packages. One advantage of throwing your old photos into a shoebox is that so long as they don't get physically damages you can always pull them off the shelf and look at them.

With electronic storage it's not always that simple.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
Excellent points, tmazz. This issue came up in our household with a mac to pc attempted transfer of some sort of data about 5-6 years ago. The rapidly changing formats etc are just a bit much to keep up with, especially in the pocketbook   :( 
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
I've held onto my old 8MM tape videorecorder because it will plug in and play back all those childhood videos we took of the kids. Yeah, they are blurry and not as good as current technology (not even as good as my phone) but that's where their memories are stored.

Same reason I have an old film and a slide projector stored in the basement for my wife's and my childhood pictures 9which we haven't looked at in the last 15 years). Someday, in my retired dottage I will likely set it up, plug it in, thread those old film spools only to find out the bulb has crapped out and there is no replacement available for purchase.
 :cry:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
Someday, in my retired dottage I will likely set it up, plug it in, thread those old film spools only to find out the bulb has crapped out and there is no replacement available for purchase.
 :cry:

Exactly my point.

Or you could always try what I did and find an 8mm movie projector at the Crack House for $5.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables