Author Topic: NC cable tour Kaplan Kords  (Read 16655 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
NC cable tour Kaplan Kords
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
I've got 2 cords made by Paul Kaplan that people are welcome to try.. I need an address asap.  I'm going out of town and it'd be a good idea to have them at someone's house rather than sitting in a room with no one in it for a week.

Let me know if you're interested.. and soon!
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: NC cable tour Kaplan Kords
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
You're gonna love them.  I have 2 copper and 2 rhodium.  They're absolutely wonderful. 

Bryan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:13:43 AM by bpape »
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
I'll give them a listen, been looking forward to that for a while. I can pick them up.
Who's next?
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
I have 1 copper and 1 rhodium.  I haven't experimented much.. Looking forward to getting these out there.. what little I heard was nice. 
I can mail them to you if you prefer, Rich.. I know it's a haul.
-C

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 04:39:27 AM »
Does either have a 20a termination?  At some point I want to see what a different 20a IEC PC on the RS Jaco might do (in place of the Mongoose that some feel constrain the Jaco).   All my other PCs are Black Sand.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:48:41 AM »
Does either have a 20a termination?  At some point I want to see what a different 20a IEC PC on the RS Jaco might do (in place of the Mongoose that some feel constrain the Jaco).   All my other PCs are Black Sand.

That would be a nice experiment. I would be very curiuous to know what differences you would hear between the BS and Kaplan powercords. The Kaplans have it going on according to some ears I respect. Go Paul.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:32:52 AM »
Actually, you'd have to pry my Black Sand PCs from my cold dead hands before I'd let them go. They have made that much of a difference in my system.  I am most curious about comparing the Mongoose PC on my Running Springs Jaco.  One of these days I will pop for a BS Statement 20a PC but just can't afford it at this point (and you never see those pop up used).

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 08:22:57 AM »
I can mail them to you if you prefer, Rich.. I know it's a haul.

Sure if you don't mind.
Thanks

pmkap

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »
Mike,

I do offer my cords with both 20amp IECs (Hubbell h320) or Powercons as well as 15amp copper and rhodium IECs, but given your justifiiable satisfaction with the excellent Black Sands cables, I'm not counting on a sale.  8)  I do have a custormer who upgraded to the Kaplan H.E. 20amp powercord on his Running Springs conditioner, and has since changed his conditioner to a Furman Ref conditioner with my  cord still providing juice.

Regards,
Paul

zybar

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »

You want to try this ASAP.

I love my Kaplan cords and use them across almost my entire system (still using Silver Ref V's on the Vandy 5A's).  Eventually they will be replaced by Kaplan cords.

BTW, I am the customer Paul was referencing.   8)

George

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 07:43:05 PM »
When I get back from my trip, I'll be glad to have a cable comparison for whoever wants to attend.
I'll have Power cords from Audience, JPS, Black Sand, Kaplan's, and more!
I'll have IC's from Audience, JPS, Reality, and more! ha.
It will be a mind numbing comparison.. get ready!
-C

PS I do not want to play with speaker cables.. what I have is good enough.

pmkap

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »
Well Carl - as someone who has done listening sessions with far, far too many power cords, the only thing that can make it anything but excruciating is the proper music.

http://www.balkanbeatbox.com/

and of course, the proper libations -

Now iff'n a system can't play Balkan Dub Dance properly LOUD! you can't say 'its gotta good beat, and you can dance to it.....'

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 04:13:53 AM »
I think we'll all be doing the chicken dance by the end of this one!
-C

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »
that's a wee bit on the disturbing side Carl..

I think we'll all be doing the chicken dance by the end of this one!
-C

zybar

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 05:43:31 AM »
Actually, you'd have to pry my Black Sand PCs from my cold dead hands before I'd let them go. They have made that much of a difference in my system.  I am most curious about comparing the Mongoose PC on my Running Springs Jaco.  One of these days I will pop for a BS Statement 20a PC but just can't afford it at this point (and you never see those pop up used).

I thought the same thing before I tried Paul's cords.  I was using the BS Statement One pc's on my amps and Silver Ref every place else. 

Don't get me wrong, John's power cords are excellent and did a great job in my system.

However, when I started putting Paul's cords into play (starting with the regular cords first and eventually moving up to the conditioner cords), they just seemed to do a better job letting me connect with the music (especially the conditioner cords). 

How did they let me connect in a better way?  Well they lowered the noise floor, which allows for more detail and presence.  It was easier to pick up cues from the recordings and the increase in mid-range clarity and presence gave the recordings a more of "I am there" feeling.  I also thought that the hi's were slightly less grainy and a tad more natural sounding than the Statement One's and even more so when compared to the Ref V's.  The bass is slightly fuller with Paul's cords and I find that very pleasing.  Of course, others might not and I could easily see somebody preferring the Statement One's in this area.

Overall, I thought the improvements by going with Paul's rhodium 15 amp conditioner cords on my amps and copper 3 amp conditioner cords for my Modwright TP and Plinius M8 was worth making the change.  I also use a non-conditioner 20 amp copper cord on my FurmanSound Ref IT-20 power conditioner.  As I didn't have a BS 20 amp cord (or any good 20 amp cord for that matter), the improvement over the stock cord was very substantial.  I also have used a 15 amp copper cord on a RSA Haley and felt that it helped improve things in the manner I described above.

As always, the best way to figure out what is the best PC for your system is try them out.  Given how happy I was with John and his Black Sand products, I was skeptical that anything would improve on them for a sane amount of money...to my ears, the Kaplan cords (both regular and conditioner cords) did it.

George