Author Topic: New Hot Power Conditioning Product  (Read 14779 times)

Bigfish8

New Hot Power Conditioning Product
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:38:20 AM »
Guys:

This is a review of a new power conditioning product that seems to be getting a fair amount of attention these days:  http://www.dagogo.com/SynergisticPowerCell.html 

Has anyone had any personal experience with this product?

Thanks,

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: New Hot Power Conditioning Product
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:43:16 AM »
In my recent search for a power conditioner, I did do a bit of digging on these but, to be honest, I ruled it out on cost.  I suspect if I actually heard one, I'd be figuring out how to afford it so I didn't go there.

FWIW, I am totally pleased with the RSA Jaco.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:06:25 AM »
That looks really cool! I think Ted is a genius. It will be fun to explore his products once the faucet comes back on.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Looks great probably is very affective. Should be for those numbers. So you want a line conditioner that works and costs under $15 to make ?
   Go out and buy an oil filled 660V 6 Mf AC motor run cap. Then bypass with a Teflon cap. Connect a wire to each lead and then to an AC plug. Plug into spare outlet and noise begone. Compare this to ANY line conditioner and be ready to be thrilled.

charles
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:44:41 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Looks great probably is very affective. Should be for those numbers. So you want a line conditioner that works and costs under $15 to make ?
   Go out and buy an oil filled 660V 6 Mf AC motor run cap. Then bypass with a Teflon cap. Connect a wire to each lead and then to an AC plug. Plug into spare outlet and noise begone. Compare this to ANY line conditioner and be ready to be thrilled.
charles

Don't forget to use wet fingers. ;)
It'd probably be best to start a new thread for home made power conditioners... complete with wiring diagrams, schematics, photos, or whatever so it's a bit easier to follow... and more fun to discuss.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
charles

Don't forget to use wet fingers. ;)
It'd probably be best to start a new thread for home made power conditioners... complete with wiring diagrams, schematics, photos, or whatever so it's a bit easier to follow... and more fun to discuss.

-C

Great idea. Thanks. I'll try but I'm sooooo bad with the pooter.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

zybar

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
Guys:

This is a review of a new power conditioning product that seems to be getting a fair amount of attention these days:  http://www.dagogo.com/SynergisticPowerCell.html 

Has anyone had any personal experience with this product?

Thanks,

Ken

I have and while the technical stuff mystifies and confounds me, it does sound darn good!

It took a lot of will power to pull it out of my system and not buy it.

I listened to the 10SE model and compared it against a combination of a RSA Haley being fed by a Furman Sound SPR-20i voltage regulator.

The one thing that bugs me is that because the power cord on the 10SE uses a proprietary connector, I wasn't able to use the same cord on the Haley.  That cord alone retails for almost $2k!   :shock:

Since that audition, I snagged a killer deal on a NOB Furman Sound IT Reference 20i balanced power conditioner.  I really like what it is doing and it is also an improvement on the Haley.  There was a brief review of it here:  http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-conditioners/611-furman-it-reference-20i.html

At some point, my buddy will bring his 10SE over and we will compare it the Furman.

George

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
George, since you've been an RSA Haley happy customer for awhile, you might want to check out RSA's latest updates.   I picked up a Jaco that has the recent updates and I am very impressed with it.  All I had to compare it with was an older Hydra and an Equi-Tech.  The Equi-Tech was very nice but it was big, extremely heavy and had a hum that I just couldn't live with.   There's a nice review of the RSA Dimitri in the latest TAS.

zybar

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
George, since you've been an RSA Haley happy customer for awhile, you might want to check out RSA's latest updates.   I picked up a Jaco that has the recent updates and I am very impressed with it.  All I had to compare it with was an older Hydra and an Equi-Tech.  The Equi-Tech was very nice but it was big, extremely heavy and had a hum that I just couldn't live with.   There's a nice review of the RSA Dimitri in the latest TAS.

Funny, I just read the review on the Dimitri and how Robert Harley loved it.  However, the Dmitri is $4500 list and I am guessing I won't find it at 50% off list for a new one like I did with the Furman.

BTW, Dan Bab Babanou is one of the good guys in the audio industry and gives new meaning to the word customer service!!

George

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »

The one thing that bugs me is that because the power cord on the 10SE uses a proprietary connector, I wasn't able to use the same cord on the Haley.  That cord alone retails for almost $2k!   :shock:

Hey George,

The 10SE from what I have seen is simply using a 20amp IEC end which is fairly common.

The Haley on the other hand is using a standard 15amp IEC so as you discovered, the cords can not be interchanged but there is nothing special about the 20amp IEC that the 10SE is using.

zybar

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »

Hey George,

The 10SE from what I have seen is simply using a 20amp IEC end which is fairly common.

The Haley on the other hand is using a standard 15amp IEC so as you discovered, the cords can not be interchanged but there is nothing special about the 20amp IEC that the 10SE is using.

John,

The PowerCell 10 SE I auditioned didn't use a standard 20amp IEC.  It uses a Powercon connector, which none of my other gear has.  A standard 20 amp power cord could not be used with the PowerCell 10 SE.

Here is what is on the Synergistic Website:

The PowerCell 10 SE (Special Edition) sets itself apart from the PowerCell 6 and 10 via a higher performance Active EM filter and an additional Quantum Tunneling process. While the PowerCell 6 and 10 have a 20 amp IEC for AC connectivity, the PowerCell 10 SE has a 32 amp Powercon connector and comes standard with our highest performance power cord for line conditioners- the Tesla Precision AC.

There are pics over in a thread on AC, but I can't see them while at work.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=64910.0

George

zybar

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »
BTW, here are my initial thoughts on the PowerCell 10 SE when compared to my Running Springs Audio Haley.  I kept everything the same outside of the power cord used on the conditioners.  With the Haley, I was using a Copper Kaplan Cable cord - with the PowerCell 10 SE, I am using the provided Tesla Precision AC power cord.  This cord uses a 32 amp Powercon connector and comes standard with the unit.

Initial Comments:

* Quieter background
    * Improved detail - greater separation of notes, music is faster
    * Improved sense of depth and space - music is just hanging out there
    * Improved bass - more texture and body to the pluck of a stand-up bass or thwack! when hitting a drum
    * Music is punchier and more forceful, but in a non-aggressive way
    * Slight removal of grain or grit on horns and brass (which I didn't even notice before)
    * System sounds more effortless and powerful

Overall it has been a very positive experience so far. Please keep in mind that while the Haley is excellent and performs outside of its price range, there is a substantial price difference between the RSA Haley (~$1400) and the SR PowerCell 10 SE ($5000).

George

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
BTW, Dan Bab Babanou is one of the good guys in the audio industry and gives new meaning to the word customer service!!

George

Couldn't agree more!!   Dan was a great help when I was looking at different power conditioners.  That level of customer support and communication is invaluable.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

John,

The PowerCell 10 SE I auditioned didn't use a standard 20amp IEC.  It uses a Powercon connector, which none of my other gear has.  A standard 20 amp power cord could not be used with the PowerCell 10 SE.

Sorry George! I was just going off pictures of the unit that I saw on their web-site.

I'm not sure I see the point in using a 32amp inlet when the owners incoming power doesn't stand a chance of delivering anywhere near that?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »
Funny you guys mention Furman, I have a meeting with a Furman rep tomorrow as they want me to come on board with them.

I honestly hadn't given it much thought but from the sounds of it they have come a long way with their products so based on that, I will have to take a harder look at it.

PurePower is another one that I'm curious on. They are sending me out a 1050 to try out. Anybody have any experience with these guys?

http://www.purepoweraps.com/