Author Topic: DIY Balanced power  (Read 6348 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
DIY Balanced power
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:58:03 AM »
steveb asked about this a while back:

AudioExpress published a series of articles over the last three issues, Sept - Nov, 2008 about power conditioning. In the October issue they discuss making your own bvalanced isolation transformer. In November they make high power regulator, a big power amp putting out 60Hz sine wave.  8)   

A wiring diagram is given with Digikey part numbers and Plitron tranny intended for 20A balanced power. I was gonna offer to mail photocopies, but I just found it online:

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/addenda/media/simon2945.pdf

I don't know how this circuit would compare to Equitech or BPT for safety, I don't see any protection on the secondary. Equitech front panel circuit breakers are on the primary because they make the transformer stop humming. A fault would draw current through the tranny and pop the primary fuse though, with the regular line breaker behind that. If you use this tranny to draw 20A, make sure your line is rated 20A.

Rich

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: DIY Balanced power
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
Re: DIY Balanced power
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »
Rich--thanks. This should help spark the "kit builder " in those of us interested in such a project.

The labor and cost of this project should be well rewarded as evidenced by your findings on balanced power with the Equi=Tech unit.

Feel free to post any follow up  mini " evaluation" findings you may have since your last mention of the unit with your system.

I have intention of building a unit at some point next year, so thanks for providing plans and parts source.